NSP

LE
Oh, dear...

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I want to hear his explanation.
I suspect it is what is euphemistically called fill-flash, easily obtained by keeping the flash on in daylight to remove shadow. It was something I learned from a magazine article and tends to work well on portraits.

daz

LE
Craig Gwladys Country Park - track back down towards Neath
cold11.jpg

I suspect it is what is euphemistically called fill-flash, easily obtained by keeping the flash on in daylight to remove shadow. It was something I learned from a magazine article and tends to work well on portraits.

You suspect? You shot it (allegedly). You should know.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Flash fill is what used to be called daylight flash in the days of film. A fast speed and dialled down flash output, down as low as -1 or even -1.5 can reduce silhouette by a significant amount. But then again, it's only what I'm alleging (allegedly)!

Flash photography is a very in depth/ complicated subject. Many effects can be had and it took me years of working as an assistant to learn not even half of it.
I do know that if you want to get serious you will need a flashmeter though, and not rely on the cameras settings.
The effect in the photo in question is easily obtainable by setting the flash to manual and dialling down its output.

daz

LE
St Catwg's Church, Cadoxton

St Catwg's Church, Cadoxton (Custom).jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I love the 'sepia' effect on that pic.

daz

LE
I love the 'sepia' effect on that pic.
Odd thing is, I'd stopped to take a photo of something else, the local war memorial on the other side of the road

Flash fill is what used to be called daylight flash in the days of film. A fast speed and dialled down flash output, down as low as -1 or even -1.5 can reduce silhouette by a significant amount. But then again, it's only what I'm alleging (allegedly)!

OK. Firstly, unless you are using HSS (a facility that didn't exist in the film era), you don't use a 'fast speed' with flash because it will more than likely exceed the sync speed of the shutter.

Secondly, that isn't fill flash. It's the main light source.

The image is almost certainly shot on a long lens (400-800mm) which means that the flash has to be off camera triggered by a remote.

Now perhaps you can stop claiming that the image was yours?

Unless of course your initials are YK, you have accounts on Adobe Stock, Shutterstock and Getty and shot this image as part of a series?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BratMedic The NAAFI Bar 14
BratMedic The NAAFI Bar 146
A The NAAFI Bar 179

Latest Threads