Arrsers self taken photo collection.

From "Woodpeckers of Europe"
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker: distribution and range
Europe’s smallest woodpecker is quite widespread and often fairly common locally, in the right habitat, across Europe. It is, however, easily overlooked due to its size and tendency to forage in the canopy, and thus its exact distribution remains somewhat unclear. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers are found from Iberia and the UK (but not Ireland and Scotland) eastwards across the continent into Siberia and Asia as far as Kamchatka and Japan.

Not exactly rare are they?
Not in Scotland? I had one fly into my living room window and stun itself. I picked it up and placed it safely away from the local cats (in the hen run). I had plenty of time to get the reference book out and identify it. This was in Southern Scotland, about 30 miles from the border

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Not in Scotland? I had one fly into my living room window and stun itself. I picked it up and placed it safely away from the local cats (in the hen run). I had plenty of time to get the reference book out and identify it. This was in Southern Scotland, about 30 miles from the border
Blame Global Warming. It's been happening since the end of the little Ice Age 200 years ago.

Silly bloody bird turned right at the Watford Gap, and didn't stop till it hit your window....

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'd be on that like a rat up a drainpipe, unless.......................................
You cannot claim for anything placed in the public domain and subsequently used. There are many of my photos out there and they are classed as copyright free unless you choose to copyright them.

Living as I do in Italy , in an area created by Mussolini . Sometimes you see things a bit different . Like this fountain .
E49CC0D3-F5BD-4D97-BA04-E5CA9359E9A4.jpeg

Also went into town and saw the council has replaced the war memorial with a new one . The old one was smashed as a tree fell on it .

A6CF0065-3FF4-4E38-BF4A-A658FAC8518A.jpeg

Going back after the market I had a chat with this older man who was weeding the pot in front .
AC4235A6-48B1-4FD7-A90C-D478179D8CAE.jpeg

Then I noticed the detail on the marble . Each service has an inlay
Brown for the Army , light blue and dark blue for the Air-force and Navy.

C973264C-0E6A-4D02-B524-1B2CBD5A36F3.jpeg
CC864D9D-67C8-4F91-955D-F4FEADEA1288.jpeg
5377A7C9-F39E-45FE-B22B-2D55BC95C562.jpeg

Nice design I think.

ugly

LE
I wasn’t sure if this would go better in the woodpikey thread. My usual weekend dog walk is shut due to forestry management so I went to another and Lo
60A3E961-07E8-418A-AFB4-CCA0CACCA05B.jpeg
93BEF144-CA38-443E-B4F9-E119FD923F7C.jpeg
it’s closed on weekdays so I win
I was concerned at the flooding but normally they restore the drainage after the work which is to restore the natural forest by removing the pines and replanting with native hardwood!
It’s a long term job by our neighbours in the FC
96B3A788-5E6C-467F-8BB9-B877E0CC633C.jpeg
A17DF1E0-D99B-440C-A140-F245045343C0.jpeg
A690D779-2F31-4D36-B7EE-54C227A85280.jpeg

Attachments

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I wasn’t sure if this would go better in the woodpikey thread. My usual weekend dog walk is shut due to forestry management so I went to another and Lo View attachment 435616View attachment 435617it’s closed on weekdays so I win
I was concerned at the flooding but normally they restore the drainage after the work which is to restore the natural forest by removing the pines and replanting with native hardwood!
It’s a long term job by our neighbours in the FC
View attachment 435619View attachment 435620View attachment 435621
Good luck with the post walk dog cleaning session

Nah didn’t see this. What’s the story here? Looks cool.
Its an NT property LINK a few miles further east on the coast from the Giants Causeway. If you had followed the cliff path further around it brings you to there. There was a much photographed little "clachan" of houses called Portbradden behind @BopBopBop as he took that pic and if you walk in the direction that the picture was taken and round the headland you reach Ballintoy (familiar to Game oF Thrones viewers as Pike in the Iron Islands). A mile or so beyond that again is Carrick-A-Rede site of the rope bridge and yet another NT property. LINK

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just goes to show you how well the books are researched. RSPB and BTO claim the birds keep to single areas in Yorkshire but are hardly ever seen in Lancashire. Do the birds even know. I too have seen Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers in and around Dumfries and Galloway, albeit only on two occasions.
I think these birds are definitely RN Officers with maps!

Went for lunch at the Horton Grange Hotel , near Ponteland , on Friday with our daughter and very nice it was too. Certainly a place I would recommend . The Menu also contained a number of options for Afternoon Tea including a Gentleman’s version … see cropped image below …. I shall be trying the “ with Port “ version next time we go .

Gents Afternoon Tea WL.jpg

Out today with number one son on a short walk in a biting wind with heavy showers on the moors to the East of Bolam Lake . Fried bacon and mushrooms in the shelter of some Crags …. food properly cooked outside always has an extra edge …. normally flies but not this time of year ...

Trangia Handle Tip WL.JPG

.... and for anyone who uses a Trangia .... note the key ring on the handle .... when slid right down it securely clamps handle to the pan .... A tip I picked up from YouTube and it works .... smell that bacon .

Rainbow 1 WL.JPG

Just a photograph which seemed to capture the day .... long shadows / low Sun but bright and a hint of a Rainbow to the left of the small Copse below the sky line..... seconds after this was taken the rain hit us again .

A cracking short walk .

Latest Threads