Arrsers self taken photo collection.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Really rare to see one in NW England, twitcher rare in fact. Did you take that photo last summer?
I did and they're not that rare around here. It's the fourth one I've seen in as many years.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Really rare to see one in NW England, twitcher rare in fact. Did you take that photo last summer?
From "Woodpeckers of Europe"
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker: distribution and range
Europe’s smallest woodpecker is quite widespread and often fairly common locally, in the right habitat, across Europe. It is, however, easily overlooked due to its size and tendency to forage in the canopy, and thus its exact distribution remains somewhat unclear. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers are found from Iberia and the UK (but not Ireland and Scotland) eastwards across the continent into Siberia and Asia as far as Kamchatka and Japan.

Not exactly rare are they?

I did and they're not that rare around here. It's the fourth one I've seen in as many years.
Lucky you. If you took the photo last summer, I'm curious as to how the same image appears on the site below, taken in May 2011 and uploaded in 2017?

All about the Lesser spotted woodpecker - GardenBird

Where to observe a Lesser spotted woodpecker?

Lesser spotted woodpeckers are not a common bird throughout the UK, and can only be found in certain areas, mainly isolated to the south of England. They are almost non-existent in the north of England, although there is a small pocket in Yorkshire. You won’t find any in Scotland, and in Wales it is only in the west that you may be fortunate enough to view one.
Numbering only 2,000 breeding pairs in total in the UK, they have been subject to intense decline since the 1970s and are, therefore, classified as Red Status on the IUCN list of endangered and threatened species. There are numerous possible reasons for this rapid decline, but those most favoured arguments include the loss of ancient woodland habitat, increased competitive pressure from other species, as well as the removal of rotting trees.

Certainly not in London. Although Greenies are more common.
We have lots of Greenies in East Anglia too, and also Great Spotteds but mostly only see them in the garden when they have chicks to feed, or when the juveniles turn up trying to drill through the plastic feeder tubes.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

daz

LE
Craig Gwladys Country Park
Craig Gwladys Country Park (1).jpg

Little bastard was hiding in the treetops
Craig Gwladys Country Park (6).jpg

Craig Gwladys Country Park (16).jpg

Craig Gwladys Country Park (17).jpg

Craig Gwladys Country Park (18).jpg

Craig Gwladys Country Park (19).jpg

Craig Gwladys Country Park (20).jpg

From "Woodpeckers of Europe"
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker: distribution and range
Europe’s smallest woodpecker is quite widespread and often fairly common locally, in the right habitat, across Europe. It is, however, easily overlooked due to its size and tendency to forage in the canopy, and thus its exact distribution remains somewhat unclear. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers are found from Iberia and the UK (but not Ireland and Scotland) eastwards across the continent into Siberia and Asia as far as Kamchatka and Japan.

Not exactly rare are they?
I would say here that the elusive bird is quite exclusive.
South Hampshire, so Yaffles are common. Greater spotteds are less frequent. Like the yaffles, they hop around.
The Lesser Spotted birds seem to cling to a certain tree. In that respect, they are like a nuthatch. A pair might use a single tree. My neighbour’s oaks have a pair in the growth, but it’s hard work to keep the other birds away.

NSP

LE
Absolutely no idea mate.
They've nicked your photo. Put a claim in under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 immediately.

Kirkz

LE
Smeggers lives a couple of miles from me and he's right, they are quite a common sight round here I've seen plenty in the woods local to me over the last decade or so.
My brother is a very keen bird watcher and if they were rare he'd have been reporting their sightings.

NSP

LE
I'd be on that like a rat up a drainpipe, unless.......................................
....................I'd missed the point/joke/whatever.

NSP

LE
Terribly sorry.

"Pipe hands to dinner!"

Appropriate piping. Pause for chaps to get their scran and sit down to eat it..

"Starboard 30!"
Sit down to dinner? SIT DOWN TO DINNER....? Those of us who work for a living don't "sit down to dinner." We "nip up to the mess and get some scoff" before returning to our desks within ten minutes of leaving them. If the dessert is tidy, otherwise it's five minutes.

Latest Threads