Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Teversal, Nottinghamshire, it's on a old mine site called Silverhill
Several fire engines have been dispatched to the Google 'search engine' house but indeed it is Silverhill and as Google is on now fire, it is named 'Testing for Gas’ and apparently stands on the highest point in the county.

Have a like anyway.

anglo

LE
Several fire engines have been dispatched to the Google 'search engine' house but indeed it is Silverhill and as Google is on now fire, it is named 'Testing for Gas’ and apparently stands on the highest point in the county.

Have a like anyway.
I was born about 10 miles from there, I was up there about 8 ears ago for a look round
took me a while to recall the place, {getting old }

daz

LE
Seagull chilling out
Seagull.jpg

Many many ‘single’ locks around the canal network have single gates. Quite a number of these on the Oxford Canal for instance.

View attachment 424188
the Oxford is a purpose built ‘contour‘ canal some seventy odd miles long with long with 46 locks.

These lock pairs at Hillmorton - three side by side pairs and officially the busiest locks on the network(according to the Canal and River Trust) - have a single gate at one end of each chamber and a pair of very narrow gates at the other end.

View attachment 424207
The idea of pairs is left up / right down - left down / right up - left up / right down. Regardless of which way you approach one of the pair should be set for either going down or for going up. It keeps traffic moving and minimises water ‘waste‘.
Good point re “single gates”. I have seen locks like that (possibly on the Oxford Canal as I have walked stretches of it. It is a beautifully scenic canal).

I should have been clearer. I meant gates at either end of the lock (which is pretty much a fundamental for a lock) rather than 1 or 2 gates at either end.

Last edited:
Some dodgy looking fungi in our pub car park. At first I thought it was somebody had chuntered from the night before!
561C1FBC-A79F-4FB1-BEF6-A67228D8CAB1.jpeg

BARN

Clanker
Muckle Flugga.jpg

Muckle Flugga lighthouse, home for a few more days.
My bedroom is on the left next to the helipad, must be the most northerly on UK soil unless someone is camping on Out Stack.

Kirkz

LE
View attachment 424475

Muckle Flugga lighthouse, home for a few more days.
My bedroom is on the left next to the helipad, must be the most northerly on UK soil unless someone is camping on Out Stack.
Nice pic Mukker.
You're one lucky fucker, Muckle Flugga is on my places to visit list.

BARN

Clanker
Nice pic Mukker.
You're one lucky ******, Muckle Flugga is on my places to visit list.
It's a great place to be, one of my favorite lights.
The accommodation is good, 6 bedrooms, good sized kitchen, separate sitting room and a generator big enough to run the heaters and cooker at the same time (not every light has this luxury!)
We are running a bit short on water but our ship and helicopter should be here to re-supply us tomorrow.

Feel free to visit when we are here, I will always give you a warm welcome. Trouble is we are usually here this time of year to avoid the birds, so coming by boat is tricky...

there used to be a post office on Unst, Great Britains most Northernly post office
all my stamp collecting mates had me sending cards and letters from there
the weirdos
Dear God, I thought I had some crap postings/attachments but you must have been a really naughty boy when compared against my antics.

Spill the beans, was it the RSM's daughter or were you caught in mid-skiff of the GSM's mug?

Errr... TMI?

Kirkz

LE
Dear God, I thought I had some crap postings/attachments but you must have been a really naughty boy when compared against my antics.

Spill the beans, was it the RSM's daughter or were you caught in mid-skiff of the GSM's mug?

Errr... TMI?
Josh is a never served civvie.

Kirkz

LE
It's a great place to be, one of my favorite lights.
The accommodation is good, 6 bedrooms, good sized kitchen, separate sitting room and a generator big enough to run the heaters and cooker at the same time (not every light has this luxury!)
We are running a bit short on water but our ship and helicopter should be here to re-supply us tomorrow.

Feel free to visit when we are here, I will always give you a warm welcome. Trouble is we are usually here this time of year to avoid the birds, so coming by boat is tricky...
I know how warm the welcomes are Mukker :mrgreen:
It won't be to long before we're back over that way Mukker, though whether we'll make it to MF is another matter entirely.

Latest Threads