Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Kirkz

LE
Saw this van while out earlier.

20191007_084107-756x1008.jpg

20191007_115257-347x159.jpg

005CF979-4256-4481-AAC0-E6C2469E4C5F.jpeg
A6D91115-434D-4B42-9290-BDF05398F04B.jpeg

‘Sunny’ North Devon Yesterday. Bracing doesn’t do it justice! Love the place.

Last edited:
There's a 25-acre brush fire up in the mountains about 12 miles from me, and the US Forestry Service are using a commercially-owned S-61 to water bomb it. It's been doing a 20-minute round-robin thing all day. It's got a hose attachment, sucks water out of the lake into an internal tank, then transit to the fire, drop the water, and repeat.

In 2016 there was a much larger fire, and the military were using several UH-60s for the same thing, but with an underslung bucket rather than an internal tank. Much quicker to load, but I suspect the S-61 carries a lot more water.

Untitled.png

Kirkz

LE
There's a 25-acre brush fire up in the mountains about 12 miles from me, and the US Forestry Service are using a commercially-owned S-61 to water bomb it. It's been doing a 20-minute round-robin thing all day. It's got a hose attachment, sucks water out of the lake into an internal tank, then transit to the fire, drop the water, and repeat.

In 2016 there was a much larger fire, and the military were using several UH-60s for the same thing, but with an underslung bucket rather than an internal tank. Much quicker to load, but I suspect the S-61 carries a lot more water.

View attachment 421384
Lake looks low.

Lake looks low.
Indeed. In the winter, the lake is dropped about 35 feet for flood control. About another 18 feet to go. It'll be little more than a creek in December, then starts filling back up in January. By April it's full again. It works, too. We had so much rain last winter, that the lake briefly filled back up to almost full in the last week of February. 30 feet rise in the lake in one week. The lake is 44 sq miles in surface area, and rose 30 ft, so if I've got my sums right, that's about a quarter of a cubic mile of water in one week. One mile square, 1/4 mile high.

That was unusual, there was so much rain that the asphalt on the roads literally broke apart all over the place. We now have newly-resurfaced roads, however :).

Indeed. In the winter, the lake is dropped about 35 feet for flood control. About another 18 feet to go. It'll be little more than a creek in December, then starts filling back up in January. By April it's full again. It works, too. We had so much rain last winter, that the lake briefly filled back up to almost full in the last week of February. 30 feet rise in the lake in one week. The lake is 44 sq miles in surface area, and rose 30 ft, so if I've got my sums right, that's about a quarter of a cubic mile of water in one week. One mile square, 1/4 mile high.

That was unusual, there was so much rain that the asphalt on the roads literally broke apart all over the place. We now have newly-resurfaced roads, however :).
That must play havoc with the fish stocks.

You wouldn’t believe that the Great Lakes would fluctuate but some years there is a five foot or so difference enough to wash over our pier.

Sammer

War Hero
9326C485-1A4E-4D67-A76B-72F56CF15B36.jpeg

Peruvian hairless. This one is feral, but they are remarkably loyal when family pets. There is a local law that stipulates all ancient monuments must have a small pack of them. They are an ancient breed, very well adapted to life in the extended Atacama desert. (A little after midday here and 28 degrees already.)

A real mixed bag of weather in North Devon today. Still plenty of beach walking and rock pool exploring with the Grandkids between the showers though.
A truly magical place in my humble opinion and hopefully we are creating treasured memories for their futures.
FC191911-12B8-4AAE-BAEC-F9771FB1F9C0.jpeg

A29BA2A5-7979-4799-AE2D-8A40F4D1BF78.jpeg

Wightsparker

War Hero
The roar of Merlin engines drew me outside earlier this evening, and I had to dash back inside to collect my phone. We frequently get a two-seater Spitfire over Arreton on the Isle of Wight (I think it costs about £2800 for a 40-minute flight) but it was amazing to see three Spitfires chasing each other around the sky, rolling, looping and otherwise behaving like big boys with toys.

Apologies for the quality of the picture.

2019 Spitfires over Arreton 9 Oct resized.jpg

The roar of Merlin engines drew me outside earlier this evening, and I had to dash back inside to collect my phone. We frequently get a two-seater Spitfire over Arreton on the Isle of Wight (I think it costs about £2800 for a 40-minute flight) but it was amazing to see three Spitfires chasing each other around the sky, rolling, looping and otherwise behaving like big boys with toys.

View attachment 421824
No apologies necessary - although I counted 4 until I identified 1 as a bit of crud I probably sneezed onto the screen.
2 Apache Longbows flew over yesterday on their way to Wattisham. I had to choose between seeing them properly or running for my camera. Guess my choice!

BopBopBop

Old-Salt

View attachment 421824
I had a house in Ventnor about 10 years ago and I spent more than a few hours watching and listening to the two seater Spitfire as it performed acrobatics in the clear blue sky above.

Wightsparker

War Hero
No apologies necessary - although I counted 4 until I identified 1 as a bit of crud I probably sneezed onto the screen.
2 Apache Longbows flew over yesterday on their way to Wattisham. I had to choose between seeing them properly or running for my camera. Guess my choice!
I was expecting "Ja, but one of those Fokkers was a Hurricane............"

One of my least favourite missions is doing a 'red carpet'. Especially when you're trying to interview someone over a barrier who is only about a foot tall.

Ange was looking pretty hot though.

IMG_1998 2.JPG
IMG_2001.JPG

Been fceking about in a studio. One light only, a la David Hobby. Two lasses, 400w strobe with a softbox; chap, bare model light only. I don't like the posed Chinese lass one, never have liked poses, it's not me; I's likes to be sneaky whens they thinks theys safe, CLICK.

And, no, I'm not.... with any of them and, again, no, the chap is not me.

PH003152-3web.jpg
PH003131web.jpg
PH003123web.jpg

Latest Threads