Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Last load of spring barley tipped and harvest 2019 is done. OSR was a disaster, on the other hand we have never grown so much wheat and barley. View attachment 412839
Where I live OSR has been conspicuous by its absence .... another pic from my Coastal Walk on Friday ... in the first part of the walk we were 1~2 km in from the sea surrounded by fields such as this ....

DSCF1379 WL.JPG

... all golden brown and a number of Combines out .

Last edited:
People out back combining now. Wheat. Lots of dust going on, could be a great (next) full moon.
And it’s really brought the buzzards out. About ten. Every time they get close to the ground, the crows mob them.

Last edited:
Not one of my photos, but this one deserves wide exposure. Priceless! :grin:
4FDBA3EB-719E-4CAF-8115-01253D8621AE.jpeg

Too wet at the wrong time for the OSR?
See your photo - that's my pension, that is.;)
Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle was the problem. We were lucky, yield was down by c.50%, but we only drilled ours once, some poor souls redrilled after the first attempt failed and lost that as well.
My photo - your pension ?

Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle was the problem. We were lucky, yield was down by c.50%, but we only drilled ours once, some poor souls redrilled after the first attempt failed and lost that as well.
I worked for CNH (Ford ->NH)!

Local farm was afflicted, the son who managed the farm (1000 acres not far from you) was seen wandering through the blighted crop in the spring muttering obscenities, though we are not sure it was not the multiple cancers he is suffering from or the infestation.

His father came up with the solution to ease the pain by selling the farm, the son is now much happier as the harvest goes on around him as he doesn't give a fig about the yields.

We run 3 New Hollands, T7210, T7270 and a 7050. Great tractors, but there is nowhere in the cab for a flask and snap tin.
Mention of OSR brings back bad memories of the Hesston 8100, a product that came over to us on the Fiat buy-out of Ford.
Pre-season kits and despatch to those dealers with 8100s on their patch, grief for the brief period they were used each year and then buy-back of the damn kits minus bits used. Composition of the kits inevitably differed from what was actually needed.

8100 in it's natural environment. I can't find a picture of one showing the &%$£ Draper rape header.

I was racking my memory (it's been 12 years) about cab layout and you're right! I think since buddy-seats and the advent of all the techy stuff surrounding the driver, important things like grub and drinks got overlooked.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Ours was fine this year but we hedged our bets with wheat and beans. Beans being harvested today. It's been a pleasure watching the deer flushed

ugly

LE
They are, but don’t be caught taking them away in your bucket.
Down here as long as you dont release them you can take them away for cooking but my mate does them on the river bank

Pen y Fan pond in blaenau Gwent isn't that far from my place. Its apparently infested with the bloody things. I'm tempted to get a crayfish net and do some on the BBQ.

Leave it to soak overnight and retrieve it before first light.

ugly

LE
I'm trying planting a companion crop with it this year, 1 area with clover 1 with mustard, and a control.
I've been nagging our contract farmer to sew mustard strips on the verges between the harvested crop and our wooded drives. Willing to pay for this instead of paying for sorghum that never takes which most years we dont need as his osr is usually tall enough by October to work. However this year he has taken off in order, osr, winter wheat and today beans for cattle feed.
I've mythered him for extra strips but he hasn't delivered and the drilled wheat due to go in wont be any use as cover for us.
I've asked for dwarf sorghum as the maize is a deer magnet and gone by December but the organic turnips are superb!
They last ages and the sheep are let into the two fields of pure cover crop which helps no end.

I was in the kitchen while MrsHogg was out in the garden tending to her tomato plants in the cold frame, she let out such a scream, I went out to see what had startled her to find this little fukker winking at her from inside the growbag! :D
View attachment 412611
Tell your Doris to get a grip. That is our friend, Mr. Toad. He s beneficial to one's garden and he doesn't give out warts. The ex-Mrs. R had one as a familiar and she would have it in the lounge by the fire during the winter months. Sometimes she'd bend down and give it a stroke and then she'd cackle, which was unnerving to me.

Latest Threads