Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Did you hear him play this tune too? :?

Off thread ... In the 50's sung every Saturday morning at my local Cinema by a testosterone fuelled bunch of kids about to see a Cartoon , Cowboy film and a Serial such as " Flash Gordon " ... accompanied by the Cinema Organist ... IIRC singing the selection of songs that followed was aided by a " bouncing ball " moving along the words projected onto the screen ... High Tech !!! ... no just simple happy days . Back on thread

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Shirley dassa ferret innit?
Could well be, I'm a townie and am therefore ignorant of cunty country ways. If you told me it was a Wolpertinger I'd be none the wiser and don't call me Shirley you quimbubble.

Off thread ... In the 50's sung every Saturday morning at my local Cinema by a testosterone fuelled bunch of kids about to see a Cartoon , Cowboy film and a Serial such as " Flash Gordon " ... accompanied by the Cinema Organist ... IIRC singing the selection of songs that followed was aided by a " bouncing ball " moving along the words projected onto the screen ... High Tech !!! ... no just simple happy days . Back on thread
Remember it well.

Saturday morning. Walk from Cove to the Rex cinema in Farnborough (long since turned into a shopping centre). Think it was 3d to get into a world of cartoons, the serial, monsters, space travel, dinosaurs and more cartoons.

In our case we were not so much testosterone fuelled as off our tits on sugar, food colouring, additives and E numbers.

I loved a serial the name of which escapes me. The theme tune was Ride of The Valkyries. If anyone knows what it was . . .

Remember it well.

Saturday morning. Walk from Cove to the Rex cinema in Farnborough (long since turned into a shopping centre). Think it was 3d to get into a world of cartoons, the serial, monsters, space travel, dinosaurs and more cartoons.

In our case we were not so much testosterone fuelled as off our tits on sugar, food colouring, additives and E numbers.

I loved a serial the name of which escapes me. The theme tune was Ride of The Valkyries. If anyone knows what it was . . .
My poor word selection ... ( ETA but that was certainly starting ) ... certainly fuelled up ... after the Serial when we would adopt the main character of the Serial ... and exit the cinema in his style .... Superman being jacket tied around the neck by the arms and jumping off walls to fly ... whenever. there was a Robin Hood Serial or film on it would be out and straight to the Fruit and Veg store to buy Bamboo canes and sticks for bows and arrows .

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
ABC Minors at the ABC cinema, seem to vaguely remember the series @Tedsson mentioned or at least the theme tune, yes we always left the cinema like the main character, sword fighting like Errol Flynn or archery like Robin Hood, great days and happy memories.

But did you ever feel the crippling shame, humiliation and embarrassment of going to the Saturday matinee in your new cowboy suit? Just because your mum thought it was a good idea.

Sixty years later I am still getting therapy.

Kirkz

LE
But did you ever feel the crippling shame, humiliation and embarrassment of going to the Saturday matinee in your new cowboy suit? Just because your mum thought it was a good idea.

No!
On a different note...

20190721_130344-1002x360.jpg

Thinking of trading in my Mk1 Roadster. Cash to balance my way naturally.
Suffice to say...the mere 10 minutes I drove this (with the owner in the passenger seat to keep me right) was.....a bit brown trousers. I doubt I used more than 150bhp of it.

Last edited:

He only went to the Lion King relaunch last week in his Rafiki outfit.
These Reivers are a bit inbred and...well....strange.
At least I went as Scar. ;)

Got back from the Isles of Scilly. so here are a few from the trip down and from the Scilly Isles themselves.

SI-1-5.jpg
SI-1-8.jpg
SI-1-9.jpg
SI-1-11.jpg
SI-1-12.jpg
SI-1-15.jpg

Seriously though what a sight to see
One of the joys of living close to RAF Hendon.
Previously I have stood in the playing field opposite the museum and waved at the Hurricanes that were down for a flypast. Got a wave back and my own small display! I will admit to jumping up and down like a small boy.
DSC_5749.JPG

Last edited:
My granddad was air frame fitter on those
My metal work teacher rode in one, at the back, 30 times!

I had a wander round the marina in the small town where I work (sad, but I did have a quick peek to see how many cars were outside the nick, not many so the boys and girls were no doubt busy). Not especially sunny but it was nice to be out, I bought some sweets in the old fashioned jars on a shelf shop and booked a table for me and Mrs Dev tomorrow night in one of the better gaffs around. (some of the whites look a little blown, but that is due to having to compress the files). I also took some shots of whirling wind turbine thingies on the back of boats at 1/16000 of a second, because I could!

marina2.JPG
marina4.JPG

RIbble Steam Railway

Ribble Steam Railway – come together, learn and connect

Located just off the old Preston Docks

Can't commend it highly enough to you all.

It's not very big (2 sheds: museum and loco workshop); the trains don't go very far or very fast but the people love what they do and they're really quite lovely. Plus the canteen lady was cute -- rather.

Entry is only £7.00 for an adult and that includes as many rides on the puff-puff as you like in a day!

PCH01494-2web.jpg
PH001728web.jpg
PCH01496-2web.jpg
PH001742-3web.jpg
PH001759web.jpg
PH001768web.jpg
PH001778web.jpg
PH001790web.jpg
PH001799web.jpg
PH001808web.jpg
PH001819web.jpg
PH001869web.jpg