Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Driving north from Teesdale towards the watershed with Weardale. I always wonder about those helpful poles which indicate the road when the snow is deep.
How the hell do you know which side the road is?

2019 Watershed resized.jpg

The valley of the Huddeshope Beck, County Durham. The beck joins the Tees at Middleton. Local legend has it that the white-painted farms belong to Lord Barnard of Raby Castle. A previous Lord Barnard, travelling in Teesdale, stopped at a farm and demanded refreshment. He was told to "Booger off!" as the farmer owned his own farm. Disappointed and humiliated, his lordship decreed that all his own properties be painted white thereafter to avoid future embarrassment.

2019 Huddeshope 1.jpg

Huddeshope Beck near Snaisgill, north of Middleton-in-Teesdale, County Durham. The area was extensively mined for lead, and the surrounding countryside is scarred by industrial workings. Near the horizon on the left was a man-made pond, which was controlled to allow a torrent to flow down the "hush" and allow access to the lucrative ore. The "hush" joined the beck on the left middle of the picture.

The beck, which was really just a trickle today, was a fabulous place to play when I was a youngster. We made dams across the stream - you can see the remains of somebody else's dam in the foreground - but you really wouldn't have liked to do the same when the beck was in spate.

2019 Huddeshope Beck resized.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
When you're on the way home from a good night out and you need to correct a spelling mistake on the poster in the railway station.
spooky...just viewed a TV report from 1994 featuring same gent!

Arras France
after visiting the Cemetery at Fabourg de Amiens, I decided to seek out the memorial to the French Resistance members executed by the Nazis
the article I read only showed a hand full of markers, but there were many more, very sobering, the original post that they tied them to has been replaced by a concrete one
its at the back of the Vauban era fort, and I had to ask for directions from a gardener, who was very helpful and quite touched that a few Brits wished to visit
afterwards we walked through the fort, the French military sold it to the City of Arras for a nominal sum ( I can recall visiting when it was still a working barracks)
the Guard house is worth a visit as are the goats that cut the grass
at the front is a large moat, for many years dry, during the Great war tanks were concealed in the moat during the hours of Darkness as the German front line was not far away
IMG_8258.JPG
IMG_8262.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8220.JPG
IMG_8221.JPG
IMG_8223.JPG
IMG_8224.JPG
IMG_8225.JPG
IMG_8226.JPG
IMG_8229.JPG
IMG_8232.JPG
IMG_8234.JPG
IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8241.JPG
IMG_8242.JPG
IMG_8244.JPG
IMG_8246.JPG
IMG_8249.JPG
IMG_8257.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG

Arras France
after visiting the Cemetery at Fabourg de Amiens, I decided to seek out the memorial to the French Resistance members executed by the Nazis
the article I read only showed a hand full of markers, but there were many more, very sobering, the original post that they tied them to has been replaced by a concrete one
its at the back of the Vauban era fort, and I had to ask for directions from a gardener, who was very helpful and quite touched that a few Brits wished to visit
afterwards we walked through the fort, the French military sold it to the City of Arras for a nominal sum ( I can recall visiting when it was still a working barracks)
at the front is a large moat, for many years dry, during the Great war tanks were concealed in the moat during the hours of Darkness as the German front line was not far away View attachment 394271 View attachment 394272 View attachment 394273 View attachment 394274 View attachment 394275 View attachment 394276 View attachment 394277 View attachment 394278 View attachment 394279 View attachment 394280 View attachment 394281 View attachment 394282 View attachment 394283 View attachment 394284 View attachment 394285 View attachment 394286 View attachment 394287 View attachment 394288 View attachment 394289 View attachment 394290
Very moving, I take it every plaque beares the name of every individual who was executed by the Gestapo.

Another cool looking Merc I came across today...

View attachment 394150
The earlier one was a C126 coupe. Today it'd be called an S class coupe. They had the model designation SEC at the time.

This one is an R107 SL roadster. With a Y plate, that's the same age (1982) as my 280SL was (hence "Roadster280"). Which means it's got the wrong wheels on it (these are later wheels), and Mickey Mouse whitewalls. But it looks in good condition, right enough. The European models look soo much better than the US ones do with the enormous bumpers and round headlamps.

Arras France
at the front is a large moat, for many years dry, during the Great war tanks were concealed in the moat during the hours of Darkness as the German front line was not far away View attachment 394271 View attachment 394272 View attachment 394273 View attachment 394274 View attachment 394275 View attachment 394276 View attachment 394277 View attachment 394278 View attachment 394279 View attachment 394280 View attachment 394281 View attachment 394282 View attachment 394283 View attachment 394284 View attachment 394285 View attachment 394286 View attachment 394287 View attachment 394288 View attachment 394289 View attachment 394290
Amazing photos, very thought provoking.
I think, before I get too rickety, we really ought to make the effort and get over there.
I think....I'd probably spend much of time in deep disbelief. It must be hard to absorb.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunny james Travel 3
Awol The NAAFI Bar 26
A The NAAFI Bar 179