Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Some hapless lad posted a video of a mine detonation on his own-named Twatter account and was ordered ashore within two hours. Never mind that the same event was filmed by several citizens of Flushing from the shore and posted, with one clip featuring in a local media piece.

Obviously they didn't get the memo...

I mean, anyone could be forgiven for thinking that the Germans never occupied the place or mined it silly and our pretty red and white/blue and white boaty things were just hovering about in the estuary for shits and giggles, FFS.

Out for a low level walk today .... in fact mainly sea level .... timed to correspond with the tide being out ... circular with a mix of beach and dune walking from Newton to Beadnell ...
DSCF4749 WL.JPG

... Anti tank blocks slowly being lost in the sand ... Nature will always win .... I believe the wooden hut on the skyline is used when bird populations are being checked .

DSCF4755 WL C.JPG

... a watery Sun and just footprints in the sand looking back towards Newton ....again the beaches were unusually crowded .

DSCF4763 WL.JPG

... Geese ? ... " Thousands of them " ... well hundreds ... which may have come from the wildfowl reserve near Low Newton .... they certainly made a racket .

All in all a pleasant day ,

ETA had a chat with a couple of Marshalls setting out way markers for this years series of coastal runs today (23 Feb) ... 10k to to Ultra ... linky ... Northumberland 10k, Half Marathon, Marathon and Ultra Endurancelife

Last edited:
CAB43CE3-590D-43BC-8E0E-83A129CFEC4C.jpeg

98D32919-1520-4FA6-BC9C-F507DA571CE2.jpeg

A walk out around Larkhill with the dog this afternoon. The new Married Quarter Estate, being delivered by the Army Basing Programme is coming along nicely and the first ‘march ins’ will take place after Easter.
For those that know Larkhill, the area being developed is where the Golf Driving Range used to be, adjacent to Strangways. Huge transformation taking place!

Lady watching boats on River Dee yesterday,,,,
2019-02-22 021 (1).jpg

Local Shepherd with his flock and this is where the local Pecorion comes from. Two brothers have a big flock, missed out on a great picture a few weeks ago as forgot the phone .

They keep the flocks in pens across the road and bring them out to graze on the grass you can see, best thing is the huge pack of dogs, about 12 or so. Mostly the big white beasts at the front and what you cannot see is the other 5 bringing up the back.

IMG_0091.jpeg

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
In 1968 the Govt discovered that it had failed to give away Mauritius so set about organising that and detailing the duty Royal to go and witness the hauling down of the flag etc. Competition to be top dog broke out between the races, particularly the Muslims ( who had a Molotov cocktail assembly line in one of their mosques), the Hindus who provided nearly all the police, and the 'Creoles' who were French(ish) speaking Africans. To show good multi-racial feeling one poor girl was found thrown out with all four limbs deliberately broken to teach her not to go choosing a boy-friend from a different mob. The original (ex-Royalist) French kept out of the way on their estates as they had always done, the Chinese kept their nose out of it and went work work work as they had always done, and the Brits who ran the place found things getting awkward. The cry for help was answered as usual by the RN (I think some soldiers were eventually found) and the nearest ship, mine, was sent licketty splat (28 knots max) to provide Aid to the Civil Power. We had 48 hours notice largely because that's how long it took to get there from half-way between Beira Patrol and Gan. This included trying to retrain our chaps on some new-fangled gun that had been wished on us just before we sailed for our year away, a great help after they had done all their training on a proper rifle, the Mk 4 Lee-Enfield. It turned out to be a fairly soft touch, putting our bods in to guard the harbour oil tank farm. Here are two of my merry men doing just that. I thought you Pongoes would like to drool over a couple of those guns.

68-3 1 Mauritius - Internal Security.JPG

I thought you Pongoes would like to drool over a couple of those guns.
Rifles actually. THAT rifle by the looks of things.

In 1968 the Govt discovered that it had failed to give away Mauritius so set about organising that and detailing the duty Royal to go and witness the hauling down of the flag etc. Competition to be top dog broke out between the races, particularly the Muslims ( who had a Molotov cocktail assembly line in one of their mosques), the Hindus who provided nearly all the police, and the 'Creoles' who were French(ish) speaking Africans. To show good multi-racial feeling one poor girl was found thrown out with all four limbs deliberately broken to teach her not to go choosing a boy-friend from a different mob. The original (ex-Royalist) French kept out of the way on their estates as they had always done, the Chinese kept their nose out of it and went work work work as they had always done, and the Brits who ran the place found things getting awkward. The cry for help was answered as usual by the RN (I think some soldiers were eventually found) and the nearest ship, mine, was sent licketty splat (28 knots max) to provide Aid to the Civil Power. We had 48 hours notice largely because that's how long it took to get there from half-way between Beira Patrol and Gan. This included trying to retrain our chaps on some new-fangled gun that had been wished on us just before we sailed for our year away, a great help after they had done all their training on a proper rifle, the Mk 4 Lee-Enfield. It turned out to be a fairly soft touch, putting our bods in to guard the harbour oil tank farm. Here are two of my merry men doing just that. I thought you Pongoes would like to drool over a couple of those guns.

View attachment 379359

Any tales from the Beira patrol?

We uses to go there for a beach holiday. Peri Peri prawns and fried beef. Not the Beira patrol but Beira beach of course.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Bite!

View attachment 379359
Why the fook have they got bayonets fitted?

kitkat.jpg

It actually tastes pink.

The Tar in the background, by the fence,, his shorts have shrunk in the wash, , and the geezer in the foreground, no hat, and what's the story with the long socks?............. standards gentlemen, standards!
It's not that, the Tar by the gate is a ginger and has a beard. Bet his mates loved doing hot bedding thing following the twiglit / piss stinking jack.

Phone pic in Liverpool Central yesterday,train to Chester has just disappeared through tunnel,took opportunity to take quick pic while platform relatively empty.Quite pleased how it turned out.
central station (1).jpg

View attachment 379359
That PO gunner looks one hard fecker ( whats the writing under branch badge) presuming it's an old gunner badge and not a swinger.

I think I met his 'descendent' during my time..."kiwi"..of field gun fame also.

View attachment 379359
I hope he got his chit signed for that beard.