Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Palm House,Sefton Park today....
2018-11-30 010 (1).jpg
2018-11-30 012 (1).jpg
2018-11-30 006 (1).jpg

JuniorSlug's Advent calendar that she inadvertently left at my house the other week.

advent.jpg

Snooze, ya lose.

I did a long run with Wor Lass aound the Forest of Dean this morning; I've got a GPS and subscribe to Ordnance Survey maps online; it's easy to create running routes there and upload them to my GPS, but I've found that just because there's a path marked on the map, in reality it might not have been used in years and they're sometimes overgrown with brambles and spiky stuff, which isn't much fun.

Interesting area the FoD though:

Lydney park gardens (we shouldn't have been here, but I know the owners well):

IMG_3588
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Roman Temple

IMG_3606

Struck by lightning

IMG_3610

One of the many disused mines (mining here since the Roman times):

IMG_3617

The GPS is great; works brilliantly and it's opened up a whole new world of long run explorations.

Exciting eh?

I've found that just because there's a path marked on the map, in reality it might not have been used in years and they're sometimes overgrown with brambles and spiky stuff, which isn't much fun.
Half the thick green dashed lines on the 1:25,000 of Dartmoor are on the wrong side of valleys/rivers/ridges. And they claim to be the varsity - world leader - in accurate mapping. The effing hoops you have to jump through to meet their data quality spec (ditto UKHO) would bear that out. But then you try navigating on map and compass in the middle of nowhere in pea-souper fog and...

And you still haven't satisfactorily explained why your bird goes running in a lifejacket (she should swap it out for the current standard, by the way. They come with a STASS bottle now)).

I did a long run ...
IMG_3610 by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr
One of the many disused mines (mining here since the Roman times):

IMG_3617

The GPS is great; works brilliantly and it's opened up a whole new world of long run explorations.

Exciting eh?
A couple of my photographs from another of my favourite walks on Bewick Moor near Wooler .. Not a Mine but another potentially dangerous 'ole in the ground . First time I tried to find this feature , Cateran Hole , I had to use map , compass , distant reference points , pacing * ... now have exact location . Folk lore has it that at one time it went all the way to The Cheviot ... Hi Hi . I have been about 25m in . Certainly not a place to look for when there is snow on the ground or thick mist ...

DSCF3016 WL.JPG

DSCF3011 WL.JPG

* ... ETA ... Cateran Hole is still so infrequently visited there is not a well defined track to lead to it from a main track which is about 200m away across Heather , Fern and Gorse .

Last edited:
Warm and sunny december(which is not rare). My flowers are still blooming