Arrsers self taken photo collection.

My avatar is of just such a mask, I purchased it some 20 years ago when still in, never wore it on my tank however. Not sure how to post a larger picture.

I would agree it is not the most comfortable of bits of kit but I reckon it would be preferable to the red hot spall hitting you in the face.
I would not buy one nowadays. Considering how many masks may have been made they crop up pretty much weekly on eBay for £500 or so and I guess gullible Americans buy them thinking they are genuine.
Usually from sellers that have a lot of bad feedback and upon googling are found out to be traders of fake antiques etc.
Pisses one off.

Dragon/Damsel Fly a couple of weeks ago,Arley Hall RHS. (don't know the difference)
2018-09-02 011 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear the museum is still there. I heard about 4 years ago that there was talk of moth balling it when the Defence Medical Services were supposed to be vacating Keogh. A friend of mine who did rather well for himself since leaving the services was in talks about funding it at the time but I don't know what the outcome of that was.
It’s very much still there and someone, somewhere has put a lot of money into it. Very modern, excellent display cases and dioramas etc.

Who at one point was stopped from asking questions by Corbyn's "press adviser" It was on in the backgrounds not too sure of the details, it may have been about Rosie Duffield?
BE might know.
Have you seen the interview?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Lincoln cathedral covered in scaffolding so this looks better by night.

by night.jpg

Then the castle suffering from H & S

H and S battlements.jpg

My avatar is of just such a mask, I purchased it some 20 years ago when still in, never wore it on my tank however. Not sure how to post a larger picture.

I would agree it is not the most comfortable of bits of kit but I reckon it would be preferable to the red hot spall hitting you in the face.
I have a photo or paper clipping of a lady with tin hat with said mesh hanging over the rim odd tin hat. I think the CD used them when moving fire bombs. .

The next day was off to the International Bomber Command Centre to look at the memorial thing.

The view shows the grounds with trees planted from each part of the bomber base area

memorial spire general.jpg

memorial spire from centre.jpg

This photo was really just for fun from the exhibition 1st floor.

Then the memorial itself from below, and from inside looking up. Interesting to note the height of the spire is the same as the wing span of a Lancaster.

memorial spire from base.jpg

memorial spire inside.jpg

The "shields" around the spire are plates with names of those who never returned and, very clever I thought, holes to place a poppy beside the names.

memorial names.jpg

I added a poppy for my then next door neighbour who didn't come back. He was nineteen.

Although the place is relatively new it seems quite nicely done with the Centre housing a cafe (which also did a decent bkfst), a shop (of course) and an exhibition centre. Outside is very tidy, having paved areas on which names can be added, saplings to provide shade in the fullness of time, and everything catering for those with disabilities.

Finally the piece de resistance. Rather than just putting money in a charity box I managed to get this with part of the proceeds going to the Centre's charity. It seemed to me to be a rather nice way of donating.

gin.jpg

Although all very clean, nice and tidy, and out in the countryside, it did seem to become very dusty at times.

Last edited:
My parents live quite close to Lincoln, I recall the memorial being under construction last time I was there. IIRC you could probably see it from Waddo.

I'll be back over next summer; it's definitely on the list.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have a photo or paper clipping of a lady with tin hat with said mesh hanging over the rim odd tin hat. I think the CD used them when moving fire bombs. .
It's ok Plaster, if she was dressed in white she was just getting married.