Arrsers self taken photo collection.

it would be unusual for that to have its origional wheezing asthmatic sidevalve engine, my lawnmower has more power
I'll have you know it was one of those wheezing asthmatic side valve 6V electrics Fords which went quite well in the rain for me, first sideways and then upside down until it was stopped by the presence of a large (in those days) lorry we were overtaking.

Great day out walking the dog today around Symondsbury and West Bay (Bridport).
Discovered my new favourite walk out of Symondsbury (after a great pub lunch!) - up through the ancient quarry track (magical) and up to the top of Cromer’s hill.
Finished off with an ice cream at West Bay - where Broadchurch was filmed.
What a fantastic day out - we’ll be back!
12FA6FDA-2E4A-451E-B5DA-9B896E7B0DB3.jpeg
72B9C16A-804F-4203-84A7-4AF83CFED227.jpeg
68256F59-F0EC-482B-935F-E12DF94024B2.jpeg
E15E7B74-4528-47CD-8DAC-D2DDFFC35596.jpeg

I'll have you know it was one of those wheezing asthmatic side valve 6V electrics Fords which went quite well in the rain for me, first sideways and then upside down until it was stopped by the presence of a large (in those days) lorry we were overtaking.
Once in a a Ford Pop side valve three speed .... on a blowy day pulled out to overtake a bus on a long straight stretch ,
.... dropped into second and engine was screaming .... halfway along the bus went back to top so I didn't damage the engine .... the wind blew the car to the back of the bus .... flat as a f*rt .

Last edited:
Once in a a Ford Pop side valve three speed .... on a blowy day pulled out to overtake a bus on a long straight stretch ,
.... dropped into second and engine was screaming .... halfway along the bus went back to top so I didn't damage the engine .... the wind blew to the back of the bus .... flat as a f*rt .
and wipers that slowed down as you went uphill and the revs dropped !!!

.... but in some ways simpler yet happy days .
Not really when trying to make sure all THREE brushes were correctly inserted when repairing a 6V dynamo from a Ford.

Not really when trying to make sure all THREE brushes were correctly inserted when repairing a 6V dynamo from a Ford.
Never did that .... but I once rigged up a 12 Volt car dynamo as a motor to propel an electric " Bogie " for my son ... used an old car battery as power source ... my son became very popular with his mates .

Classic Boat Festival – St. Katherine’s Dock, London, 9 Sept 2018

Steam Tug Portwey
Steam Tug Portwey-1.jpg

Steam Tug Portwey-2.jpg

Portwey was ordered by The Portland and Weymouth Coaling Co. Ltd. and launched on the 10th August 1927. She was sold in 1938 and moved to Dartmouth where she undertook general harbour and engineering duties.

By 1942, Portwey had been drafted into the war effort on Admiralty service, employed on harbour service and towage in the Dartmouth area. She helped complete the laying of moorings in the harbour at Teignmouth in preparation for the D-Day landings and was controlled by the US Army base there. She also took part in the Slapton Sands D-Day landing exercises and was able to rescue two tank landing craft and a number of American servicemen.

you can thank the government for closing the motor vehicle inspection stations
in the old days any accident damaged car needed to undergo a full inspection
but our government muppets said cars are no longer cut and shut or badly repaired
of course the insurance companies are going to do rather well
a car that would normally sell for its scrap value can net them a return of many thousands
remember our little friend from Brum and his exotic high end sports car !!!!

Changes to insurance write off categories - should you ever buy a write off? | RAC Drive

and a word from the salvage industry who were behind it, meaning bigger profits for them
VIC Scheme Abolished | Charles Trent Blog

thats hwy when I replaced my car, I paid a bit more and went to a main dealer, knowing its full history meant i was not buying anything that had been repaired, Ebay is full of bargain cars that have had COSMETIC repairs, my motor mechanic has seen far too many, and has had to give the owners the bad news

Last edited:
I was pottering in the kitchen early this morning when I realised that I was under observation:

20180919_065854a.jpg

Not the usual sort of house gecko, he was happy to prop and watch me until he wandered off to lurk under the rice cooker.