Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Speaking of painting navy ships, is it still the practice to paint the area below the waterline with a special anti-fouling paint containing a form of hot sauce made from the world's most "explosive" peppers?

I read that in a media article many years ago
No, they only use that when the ship is in dry dock having a hull scraping done.

Ain't you ever heard the saying "Hot enough to take the paint of a battleship?"

EDIT: In all seriousness, is this what you were talking about?

Technology: Barnacle Bill and the red hot peppers

Last edited:
No, they only use that when the ship is in dry dock having a hull scraping done.

Of course, but it would be interesting to see them painting while the ship is afloat. :)

Ain't you ever heard the saying "Hot enough to take the paint off a battleship?"

No. How is that in relation to a vindaloo?

EDIT: In all seriousness, is this what you were talking about?

Technology: Barnacle Bill and the red hot peppers

It is, thanks.

I've heard Yanks use the phrase "Hot enough to take the paint of a battleship" in regards to hot sauces. I've also heard it used in relation to coffee?

Seems I have a few Americanism's creeping into my verbiage

As for painting a ships hull while in the water, it can be done apparently. Today I learned...

Paint and Adhesives Application Underwater

Last edited:
Some many years ago a certain survey ship sprinted for port with the pumps running at full chat and all hands camped out at their muster station for the 36hrs it took to transit in, as there was a problem with water ingress.

Now, you may think "stern gland popped" or "hit something and sprung a plate" but no - apparently what happened was that the 3rd Engineer stepped off a catwalk to check a through-hull fitting and, on placing his boot on the hull plates, was surprised to find it had gone straight through and there was water spraying up around his ankle. The story goes that during a routine dry-docking the hull had been defouled, sandblasted back to the metal and repainted. Only they forgot to apply the anti-corrosion coat on the aft section and some sea-born bacteria or other that likes to lunch on metal had turned the hull brittle.

Given who was operating the thing at the time I suspect a somewhat simpler explanation - intake fitting got smacked by someone cutting corners and sheared away from the hull, or some other procedure-dodging/HSE bothering f**k up - but who knows...?!

Rumours that the 3rd Eng had to do a "little Dutch boy" and spend 36hrs with his foot dangling in the Atlantic are almost certainly bollocks, though.

I was not onboard at the time.

Some many years ago a certain survey ship sprinted for port with the pumps running at full chat and all hands camped out at their muster station for the 36hrs it took to transit in, as there was a problem with water ingress.

Now, you may think "stern gland popped" or "hit something and sprung a plate" but no - apparently what happened was that the 3rd Engineer stepped off a catwalk to check a through-hull fitting and, on placing his boot on the hull plates, was surprised to find it had gone straight through and there was water spraying up around his ankle. The story goes that during a routine dry-docking the hull had been defouled, sandblasted back to the metal and repainted. Only they forgot to apply the anti-corrosion coat on the aft section and some sea-born bacteria or other that likes to lunch on metal had turned the hull brittle.

Given who was operating the thing at the time I suspect a somewhat simpler explanation - intake fitting got smacked by someone cutting corners and sheared away from the hull, or some other procedure-dodging/HSE bothering f**k up - but who knows...?!

Rumours that the 3rd Eng had to do a "little Dutch boy" and spend 36hrs with his foot dangling in the Atlantic are almost certainly bollocks, though

I was not onboard at the time.
Makes a change .... Are you sure? Did his Purpleness get your boarding dates wrong? Just asking, like :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Awol The NAAFI Bar 26
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 40
A The NAAFI Bar 179