Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Blair Drummond Safari Park:

DSC_0303.jpg
DSC_0338a.jpg
DSC_0496.jpg
DSC_0510.jpg

Tonight's offerings Male and Female Wasp Spiders, Common Blue and a Small Heath.

220818-1.jpg
220818-2.jpg
220818-3.jpg
220818-4.jpg
220818-5.jpg

Yep. Seems only yesterday and not twenty years ago that I started hanging around the world's harbours.

And in twenty years it's the first time I've seen anyone over the side for painting, even in the third world (or America, as it's otherwise known).
Was still in use in the RN during my time (2005). Get a sprog and sit him (or her) in a "bosun's chair"..which is a plank held at both sides, put over the side and tied off on nearest bollards. Lower / raise accordingly. Also "paint cats". Essentially scaffolding on floaty things, brought alongside and patches of rust / rust spill cosmetically sorted. Normally resulted in a square section of superstructure being a slightly different shade of grey.

Writing "bollocks to this" first in paint, and then painting over it - does not stop it still being spotted to a discening eye..I have learned...

This was mile 64 of a 100 mile ultra marathon in the Brecon Beacons; a really tough route.

This is the only lass out of 7 finishers to complete the route in 39 hours. She'd been going about 24 hours when I took this photo.

I ran check point 7 and dashed off to buy each of the competitors some fish 'n' chips and a cold coke.

IMG_9077
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr
Sorry but late in catching up on this thread:

What size beret is that bunion?

Bit more progress with the house build. Insulated Concrete Forms installed. Should be pouring the concrete early next week.

IMG_4631.JPG

This stuff is like enormous styrofoam Lego blocks.

This is bringing back memories of vast open spaces, amazing lakes and forests in Canada and USA. Of course land values have rocketed in many areas over the decades.
Forests are great until you own them :)

We have 5 acres, but there's a shitload of trees on it. I reckon about 8000. Most of them are spindly things, cedars and pines, but they're a pain in the arrse to get rid of. However, I'm not complaining in the wider sense, I completely agree re the space, lakes, and in our case, mountains. It's been a 5 year journey to get to this point, that has upended just about every aspect of our lives. But we're getting there!

Forests are great until you own them :)

We have 5 acres, but there's a shitload of trees on it. I reckon about 8000. Most of them are spindly things, cedars and pines, but they're a pain in the arrse to get rid of. However, I'm not complaining in the wider sense, I completely agree re the space, lakes, and in our case, mountains. It's been a 5 year journey to get to this point, that has upended just about every aspect of our lives. But we're getting there!
A bit like Scotland but on a mahoosive scale. A lot of commercial forestry and possibly less variety? Bears and racoons were a novelty. Didn't get any photos of them unfortunately. Some of the footprints were intriguing...

Forests are great until you own them

You have the satisfaction of knowing, if worse comes to worse, helicopters with dump buckets won't have far to go for a water source. :)

Was still in use in the RN during my time (2005). Get a sprog and sit him (or her) in a "bosun's chair"..which is a plank held at both sides, put over the side and tied off on nearest bollards. Lower / raise accordingly. Also "paint cats". Essentially scaffolding on floaty things, brought alongside and patches of rust / rust spill cosmetically sorted. Normally resulted in a square section of superstructure being a slightly different shade of grey.

Writing "bollocks to this" first in paint, and then painting over it - does not stop it still being spotted to a discening eye..I have learned...
I suspect that the RN is/was not as enamoured of or constrained by risk assessments and HSE policies and all that.

Speaking of painting navy ships, is it still the practice to paint the area below the waterline with a special anti-fouling paint containing a form of hot sauce made from the world's most "explosive" peppers?

I read that in a media article many years ago

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunny james Travel 3
Awol The NAAFI Bar 26
A The NAAFI Bar 179