Arrsers self taken photo collection.

Another thrilling day Chez Slug:

tile1.jpg

tile2.jpg

I ordered my carpets yesterday. I lead such a rock and roll lifestyle....

Interesting. From around 1919 until early in the 1940's a number of 16 inch guns were placed in concrete casements along the New England coast. Portland Maine, the mouth of Boston harbor, Newport Rhode Island.
Some guns were built for the US Army Coastal Artillery and some were USN 16 inch/50 caliber guns surplussed due to treaty restrictions. Some were still there in the 50's when I was a kid.
Also, steel and concrete towers were along the coast to take bearing on ships and telephone them to the gun emplacements. A lot of the towers are still standing.
Similar in the Gulf panhandle and San Francisco areas too. The Marin headlands over the bridge from SF in particular has some enormously thick-walled fortress installations.

There's an old Nike Hercules launch site there too. It was a nuclear-tipped anti-air missile. While it might take out a squadron of enemy bombers, I couldn't help thinking that it would amount to an air-burst nuclear detonation close to your own cities. The range was only 90 miles and it had up to a 20kt warhead. Truly a weapon of last resort, I should imagine.

Similar in the Gulf panhandle and San Francisco areas too. The Marin headlands over the bridge from SF in particular has some enormously thick-walled fortress installations.

There's an old Nike Hercules launch site there too. It was a nuclear-tipped anti-air missile. While it might take out a squadron of enemy bombers, I couldn't help thinking that it would amount to an air-burst nuclear detonation close to your own cities. The range was only 90 miles and it had up to a 20kt warhead. Truly a weapon of last resort, I should imagine.
Quite so. There is a list of all NIKE missile sites at the below listed url. The one in San Francisco was restored and can be toured for the curious. There were a lot of them in the northern tier of the Middle West protecting Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Cleveland. For a time I served at the former Silver Spring Drive HQs (M-96) in Milwaukee, but by the time I was there it was inactive. The battery was out back in the property and is now managed by Havenwoods, a nature preserve. I believe the Army sent in some contractors and collapsed the tunnel and fire bay in the middle 1990s. Yes, you'd have to be in pretty dire straits to fire a NIKE with a nuclear warhead as the detonation of the nuke would set off an EMP that would knock down the Russian bombers as well as fcuk up any of your assets on the ground.

List of Nike missile sites - Wikipedia

I had a look a round some of those fortress buildings last time I was in San Francisco, they are massive.

Seen at the Menomonee rest stop on I-94 during a recent trip I took to Minneapolis. The Highground was originally intended to be a memorial to just the Vietnam veteran, but was later expanded to include all veterans of all conflicts. I've been there and I made sure it had some Indian flavour. ;-)

Passenger pigeons are todt. Now if we can do something about those pesky Canada geese, I'll be happy. :-D

Highground.JPG
Passenger Pidgeon.JPG

I just looked up the link posted by @Ruckerwocman, and it took me to another link with the German and Dutch sites. Turns out there was a battery in Grefrath, which was not too far from Krefeld where I was posted for a bit. I knew there was a NATO unit there, used the PX a couple of times, but never knew it was a missile battery HQ. NIKE would have been well out of service when I was in, so I assume it either had a different missile, or possibly a different role entirely. Makes me wonder why they would put an AD missile battery several hundred KM from both the coast and the IGB. If the Russians had got to Grefrath, it's pretty much all over anyway. It's in Germany, but only a few KM from the Dutch border.

As long as you can reach the buttons and change the filters, that looks like a decent installation. Nice hob.
It makes a change to have an extractor fan I don't crack my head on. I've also got them to put higher units in so I'm not crouched over when I'm chopping peoples' faces off vegetables. Did you think I was some sort of midget?

More shit from paradise Vlissingen Oost.

Nice jacket!
DSC_0012-2819x1586.JPG

Edited to add: it belatedly occurs to me that this is the jacket for the transformer platform for the windfarm whose 66kV export cables we're currently clearing the route for!

DSC_0006-2819x1586.JPG
DSC_0013-2819x1586.JPG
DSC_0009-2819x1586.JPG

Last edited:
Northumberland is indeed a strange place ... last weekend ~24c and sunny ... however today went for a walk on Bewick Moor which is North of Alnwick ... left house and the temperature was 9c ... arrived at start point to commence waking at 10.00.. .... the temperature was 7c . Spent a significant part of the day wading / high stepping through knee high p*ss wet gorse because of a heavy overnight mist .

DSCF4310 WL.JPG

This is a walled copse ... nothing special however I heard from nearly a km away what was bad news for birds nesting .there .... a Cuckoo .

DSCF4308 WL.JPG

A Waymarker for those who enjoy walking but not necessarily using OS map and compass .

DSCF4324 WL.JPG

A more subtle Waymarker ... for those with a little local knowledge and some map reading skills ... a stone about 12” X 9” indicating a sheep track to CH ... which is a little known feature on Bewick Moor .

Late afternoon when I got back to the car the temperature had recovered to a giddy 9c .