Arrsers self-colourised photo collection

Tool

LE
Any Arrsers dig up the details of this aircraft and crew ?

40 kills and two V1s?.
Number 418 (RCAF) Squadron, code "TH". Mosquitos replaced Boston's in March 1943. Number TH-F HJ715
From

Two pilots - J.T. Caine and Charles Scherf
Charles Scherf (May 17th, 1917 – July 13th, 1949) Royal Australian Air Force (service number: 413671)

For some colour referneces:
Colourised RAF Fighter & Bomber Command 1939-1945

NSP

LE
View attachment 462565

Can you work your magic on my Granny?
In the queue...

You'll get to the front of the one at your local chain superstore faster, though.

Meanwhile, here's a WIP cut of @Bus Pass 01 's Russian 2nd Lt:-

1585739525159.jpg

Original is in this post. Note the amount of yellowing that needed removing. This has affected the detail left under the colour mask layers. Needs a fair bit doing in addition to the remaining colours.

Budinovka and greatcoat colours eye-dropper tooled from colour photos of museum exhibits. Seems that they weren't the same shade of green/khaki from new. Skin tone needs a bit of work, too, as do the shadows on the coat.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
From this:-

1585739525159_raw.png

To this:-

1585739525159.png

Then this:-

1585739525159_coloured.jpg

Still needs some work but it'll do for now.

NSP

LE
Last pass, I think...

1585739525159_coloured.jpg

Any idea of what team/school this is? Don't want to make them wear green jerseys if the team colour is red, like!
I’ve absolutely no idea but my great uncle, who is the little kid front row centre went to a school that’s uniform colour now is blue/dark blue.

NSP

LE
@anglo 's wedding photo, WIP...

restore 0018.jpg

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I tried that MyHeritage thing on one of GBs mossies and one @noliveroundsemptycasespr put up here the other day.

View attachment 460238View attachment 460239

I'll do them properly later, I think...

Mind you, the squaddie ain't too bad, considering.
Regarding the sergeant: even if he’s outdoors a lot, he’s very tanned for December. Skin tends to lose colour in winter because blood pulls away from the extremities and surface. You might want to notch down a bit.

NSP

LE
Regarding the sergeant: even if he’s outdoors a lot, he’s very tanned for December. Skin tends to lose colour in winter because blood pulls away from the extremities and surface. You might want to notch down a bit.
I haven't finished that one yet. Learn to read - that's the machine-processed effort using the app 40C linked to...

NSP

LE
Can't remember who's this one is but here's the story so far. Any help with the badges on the right sleeve would be nice. Guessing his rank is white on black and his unit rocker is white on khaki/green unless he's commando when it would be red on black...???

043BA849.jpg

Still some work to do on the skin and lips - trying to give the impression that it's a bit chilly with a hint of blue in the nose, lips and cheekbone areas.

I've still to do the webbing metalwork and the sling, plus badges and face. Then it's just the background remaining, which should be a piece of cheese...

Stripes are white (and some khaki) on khaki. Any Google of British rank insignia will show the colour and pattern.

(There are some oddities but that's the general rule).

NSP

LE
Sarge is coming on nicely. I found a higher res' version online and can see that his regiment is a "-stershire" one. This seems to boil down to the Gloucestershire, Worcestershire or Leicestershire Regiments but can't see anything that looks like patch under the regiment rocker. The horizontal tapes seem to be arm of service/battalion (seems that one tape indicates 1st battalion, two for second, etc.) in red or rifle green depending on whether it's a line or rifle regiment. I've played with the tones and sharpness and managed to discern that the formation patch/TRF appears to be the Babysham deer or something. However, Google has so far failed to show me a match...

Any ideas, spotters...?

Formation_patch.jpg

Edited to add: seems it was the Worcestershires that were involved at Geilenkirchen...

Can't find a patch for them that looks like this one yet, though.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Starting to think the patch is a lion over the legend "FIRM" with another word at the top of the patch...

Which would make matey-boy a sergeant in the Worcestershire's.

Latest Threads