Arrsers self-colourised photo collection

NSP

LE
I'm sure you could start a little earner on here, with a donation to Arrse H4H
Yeah, sure. Hey, everyone - make your BACS transfer to a/c no. 4356....... Oh, wait - hang on.

Yeah - nice try!

Let me guess; you've a nice sideline in "Hi, I'm a Nigerian minister..." e-mails, right...?

Yeah, sure. Hey, everyone - make your BACS transfer to a/c no. 4356....... Oh, wait - hang on.

Yeah - nice try!

Let me guess; you've a nice sideline in "Hi, I'm a Nigerian minister..." e-mails, right...?
Nigerian? You mad c'nt I'm a Botswana Princess

NSP

LE
Nice job on Mammy Yokum!
Cheers, chap. Digging around Google, it seem that this one sustained damage to the canon shroud and it was changed out but due to the tempo of operations couldn't be painted Ocean Grey to match the fuselage section and was left in it's factory Sky Blue (which comes out as a light grey using the given RGB code).

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Just curious - what's the historical evidence for brown boots?
None. Best guess. Did they go in for bulled Kiwi black boots back then or were working boots the basic tan that came out of the cow-bashing plant? Any info on actual service boot colour will be fed into the image.

Meantime, brown boots just gives a bit of variation to the other colours in the image, which being mostly aircraft and uniform are from the service palette spec. prevailing at the time:-

None. Best guess. Did they go in for bulled Kiwi black boots back then or were working boots the basic tan that came out of the cow-bashing plant? Any info on actual service boot colour will be fed into the image.
Don't know how authentic it is but I found this which might help:

Meantime, brown boots just gives a bit of variation to the other colours in the image, which being mostly aircraft and uniform are from the service palette spec. prevailing at the time:-

Big thing in the Army was only officers wore Brown boots and even then with the exception of Rifle Brigade who wore black (tradition).

RN and RAF - black boots.

Desert conditions is where Clarks Desert boots became popular and local sandals - anything goes - there's a good 'Two Types' cartoon that implies the Desert Air force were even less uniform than the 8th Army.

RAF 'Mosquito boots' - black with plain canvas, think there's even an obscure dress reg that genuine Texan flying officers can wear black cowboy boots - something to do with an Eagle Sqn pilot KIA.

NSP

LE
Rough cut of @Gun_Brickie 's second shot. Bit of a tough one due to the deep shadow and the amount of noise and damage artefact in the original print. Grassy area needs some work. Uniform jacket ditto. Can't find any colour prints (typically scans of decal sets on modelling forums so far) on Google to get the nose art, unlike the others. Also, most of the airframe is grey in reality, in a greyscale image. Hey-ho...

02.JPG
02_colour.jpg

NSP

LE
And brown boots gone black:-

01071203b_colour.jpg

Just to breathe a bit of life back into this one:

For them that want to see what the family Black and Whites look like when colourised, take a (free) punt at this site

use of the app is free up to 22 April - though be prepared to be nagged to death when you don't sign up after that date.

Anyhoo, here's a few that I passed through their app:

Edward SNK 001-Colorized.jpg

Herbert John WIDDICK-initial grave 001-Colorized.jpg

NK PC-Davidson maybe 001-Colorized.jpg

The end result is a touch hit and miss: the first shows the chap's uniform going from a passable khaki to blue/grey to match his grey hands!

The last two are better with, oddly, the oldest (the Constable) probably turning out the best.

All are family members from the archive: the first and the last survived the war-Mother's Uncle, with the Norfolks-didn't. Died at a CCS just one month shy of the Armistice.

Last edited:

For them that want to see what the family Black and Whites look like when colourised, take a (free) punt at this site

use of the app is free up to 22 April - though be prepared to be nagged to death when you don't sign up after that date.

View attachment 460087

View attachment 460088

View attachment 460089

The end result is a touch hit and miss: the first shows the chap's uniform going from a passable khaki to blue/grey to match his grey hands!

The last two are better with, oddly, the oldest (the Constable) probably turning out the best.

All are family members from the archive: the first and the last survived the war-Mother's Uncle, with the Norfolks-didn't. Died at a CCS just one month shy of the Armistice.
I gave your constable pic a quick once-over just to try and get all those creases out.
NK PC-Davidson maybe 001-Colorized.jpg

NSP

LE

View attachment 460087

View attachment 460088

View attachment 460089

I tried that MyHeritage thing on one of GBs mossies and one @noliveroundsemptycasespr put up here the other day.

04_RAW-Colorized.jpg
043BA849-B7B8-4FFE-B87D-9DA6BC7CD33B-Colorized.jpg

I'll do them properly later, I think...

Mind you, the squaddie ain't too bad, considering.

@NSP - as I said, the results can be a bit indifferent, though the Sgt is not too bad as at least the image has almost correct flesh tones.

Apart from the hand.

Which looks as though it should belong to The Hulk :cool:

View attachment 460087

View attachment 460088

View attachment 460089

And here's a quick clean-up of your relative's grave. I'm just not quite good enough to draw a clear date on the cross where the crease damage went through.
Herbert John WIDDICK-initial grave 001-Colorized.jpg

@NSP Could you have a tinker with these please if yoiu get time mate,

Ta.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I know they're poor quality and not much to work on. Any improvement would be appreciated.

NSP

LE
Blimey! I'm still trying to fit in finishing the Mossie pics!!

I might be on a boat in a couple of weeks so I'll get some peace from her ladyship - or, at least, I'll be able to deal with it at a time of my own choosing - so I'll have a bash then. Assuming there's flights and shoite, naturally...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mercurydancer COVID-19 395
A The NAAFI Bar 179
Monty417 The NAAFI Bar 65595

Latest Threads