Arrsers self-colourised photo collection

daz

LE
Right, then. Here's a rough cut of @Gun_Brickie 's first scan that @supermatelot asked for a colourisation of:_

Before (cleaned up):-
View attachment 454858

After:-
View attachment 454859

This is a good example of "less is more" as so much of the image in in deep shadow and thus left unmolested, and a lot of it was shades of grey in real life. Thus the colour focus has been on the airframe and the airmen.

The starboard undercarriage assembly could bear some work on colour, which is where the detail modellers from the modelling thread/forum come in, such as @daz and @Simmerit. I'm gussing the gloves are kid so looked up images of kid gloves but am struggling to match the colour without swamping the detail in the original image. I think the canopy could do with some more work, too... I might "polish" the ladder, too.

That should help
c28e.jpg

NSP

LE

daz

LE
Hendon
IMG_20180331_113005_edited.jpg

Cosford
WP_20170326_045_edited.jpg

Hendon
WP_20170827_022_edited.jpg
WP_20170827_025_edited.jpg

I would temper the whole colour gamut a bit - it seems garish.
I wouldn't get too hung up about DPM shades. Different fabric suppliers produced different shades. Also, although the size label had the instruction "DRY CLEAN ONLY", most uniforms were slung in a washing machine - sometimes with a splash of bleach. Different washing powders had different effects on the colour. As well as this, pressing the uniform with starch also had an effect on the colour.

As a result, you could have a colour range of:
Green - light green to dark green;
Khaki - almost white to bright orange;
Black - light grey to labrador.

It would be rare for someone's jacket to exhibit the same shades as his trousers - they would have been exchanged at different times.

Tool

LE
I wouldn't get too hung up about DPM shades. Different fabric suppliers produced different shades. Also, although the size label had the instruction "DRY CLEAN ONLY", most uniforms were slung in a washing machine - sometimes with a splash of bleach. Different washing powders had different effects on the colour. As well as this, pressing the uniform with starch also had an effect on the colour.

As a result, you could have a colour range of:
Green - light green to dark green;
Khaki - almost white to bright orange;
Black - light grey to labrador.

It would be rare for someone's jacket to exhibit the same shades as his trousers - they would have been exchanged at different times.
I don't have an issue with the DPM's. We had the same with our nutria - the lighter it was, the more of a veteran you were deemed to be. We were told to hand wash only, as machine washes were supposed to remove chemicals that optical sights (read: night scopes) could identify you as a "friendly".

The whole image appears to be a bit too bright.

NSP

LE
The whole image appears to be a bit too bright.
The last version of the NI job is deliberately over-exaggerated for artistic effect, tongue-in-cheek. This has already been mentioned up-thread.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
On @Gun_Brickie 's Tempest:-

"Bevan "Bev" Mason Hall, a New Zealander from Kiaranga believed to be born in 1922, served with 486 Squadron (New Zealand), RAF from January 1944 as a Flight Sergeant, receiving his commission in early July.

On return from a patrol from Grimbergen on 1 October (the same day the Squadron was moved to Volkel) Bevan Hall's Tempest EJ693 developed engine trouble. Hall pulled off a skillful forced landing just short of base, and was rescued unhurt. (This is the Tempest Mk. V now owned and restored by Kermit Weeks.)

On 27 December 1944 he was involved in a fierce engagement with Fw190D9s of III/JG54. Whilst several of the German aircraft were shot down, Hall's Tempest SA-E (EJ627) was shot down by Lt Peter Crump of 10/JG54 and he was killed.
"

I'm taking a punt that this photo is post-incident as bolded. Although in GB's photo it looks more like EJ868.

Edited to add: this text came up in an article headed with Tempest SA-E.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
@Gun_Brickie 's Tempest about done. Just a bit of edge tidying to do, plus any feedback adjustments...

05_colour.jpg

Tempted to do a shade brush over the trees to take out the starkness but I'm warming to a signature theme of stark backgrounds against accurate/in context colourised military features to emphasise the military component of the image as a mark of respect, especially if the image relates to the fallen.

Some of the later versions of the NI shot make the soldier stand out against a background that appears to be faded and of lesser significance and I feel a certain poignancy in that unintended emphasis that I'd like to develop into a theme.

Last edited:

Tool

LE
The last version of the NI job is deliberately over-exaggerated for artistic effect, tongue-in-cheek. This has already been mentioned up-thread.
Yep, I know. I was referring to previous iterations.

Tool

LE
My take on the Tempest. I've boosted the contrast a bit and added a vignette. It may not fit in with your intention of keeping the backgrounds stark, but is how I would treat the image.

Attachments

NSP

LE
My take on the Tempest. I've boosted the contrast a bit and added a vignette. It may not fit in with your intention of keeping the backgrounds stark, but is how I would treat the image.
Oi! I ain't finished yet!

Tidy, though.

NSP

LE
Bit more work on the Tempest. Got a bit to do but I'm feeling stalled so am going to leave it for feedback and start on one of the other Mossie pics then come back to it:-

05.JPG

05_colour.jpg

Given that it is apparently a Mk.V I'm assuming the conical flush-to-fuselage spinner has broken away during the landing and revealed the endcap spinner, or whatever it is called...?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
can you folks do anything with the 1970s pictures which have all gorn a browney reddy colour now ?

Cos I are an absolute troglodyte in these areas, Is that done on the Paint facility. On my Laptop I'm asked what I want to open any picture in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mercurydancer COVID-19 396
A The NAAFI Bar 179
Monty417 The NAAFI Bar 65595

Latest Threads