Arrsers Anonymous

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Contrarian, Mar 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone given up the booze? It's been six days now and while the withdrawal is nothing major, I am getting niggling cravings. Basically, I could murder a pint (I think it's because it's the weekend). Anyone with any experience who can tell me generally how long before the cravings cease to exist?
  2. It depends on how soon you give in.
  3. And if I don't give in?
  4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The cravings don't go away.

I suffer, and have done for years ... the trick is to break routines. She has just made coffee - that means "go and get a Grouse". You have to find ways of getting out of the habits.

I've been on double-figure units a day at times, currently on 3 and can still slip just like that.

Good luck ... you need mates to help.
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Stopping completely? Dear lord.

Is this 'being healthy' or 'I have a problem' stopping that you're contemplating?
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bit personal there Sixty.
  7. blue-sophist

All depends on the "personal details" that we shouldn't ask. Total abstinence may be necessary if taking certain medication [been there] or a total life-change decision.

I'm personally fighting "having a few" instead of a lot. Lost 4 lbs this week - honest - just from cutting down.
  8. Sixty

Not at all. I've not drunk alcohol for a month or two in the past just to detox but am aware that others cannot.
  9. A bit of both. I was averaging 40 - 50 units a week until recently. I've recently turned 34 so it makes sense to stop now before pickling begins. Last night and tonight are the first times I have craved any since I stopped. I'm putting it down as weekend syndrome. Maybe I need to get my lardy ass down the gym. Actually, discussing it with you lot has taken the cravings away. Cheers you lot.
  10. I had man flu about three months ago and havent had a drink since, I dont know why, I didnt plan and personally it does'nt really bother me, I have felt the urge to have a beer since but just ignored it!

Infact I feel like a drink right now, but duty tommorrow and could do without feeling like shite!!..

Good Luck.
  11. Sixty

Ah. In that case it's more a matter of habit than a matter of need. You'll be used to having a few most days. Give it a fortnight and you'll wonder what the fuss was about (and develop a love of tea :D )
  12. blue-sophist

I'm having a bad day, because there's carp on TV and I'm here, webbing ... you barstewards drive me to have a glass beside me! After a very good week, I had a bit of a relapse yesterday ... hungover this morning and now being bad again. I shall find an excuse ["it's the weekend" or something] and then be good on Monday ... hopefully.

I'm over 60 and was on more units than NFY ... hiow heavy, pal? I'm just over 13 st.
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

NFY - 40-50 units is a fair bit to take in, but really it depends how these are taken. Over the course of a week or over a couple of nights at the weekend?

My own intake was somewhat higher than yours and I too am taking steps to remedy that. It does not mean that life is at an end (but will probably mean I spend even more time on Arrse) and I will find a level at which I am comfortable. May be abstinence or it may not. I am not yet at the stage where I will know. Yes I get the urge to have a pint or 10 but it is just something else that I have to put to one side and get on with life.

I wish you well and hope you find your level - one that suits you. That may be no alcohol or just moderating it a bit. These are decisions which are very individual.
  14. blue-sophist

It's hard work ... the doctors say blokes can do 4 a day ... I think that's the number. At a regualar pace, that's probably OK. Doing nothing during the week and then 20 a day at the weekend in a bad move.

i think we're all trying to cut back, and perhaps we should support each other here. I'm game to put myself on the line with a daily count. Anyone in?
  15. blue-sophist

FFS ... look at my typing ... you see what I mean ... I've had about 7-8 today.