Arrser in Apache?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by walt_of_the_walts, Dec 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At 1510 today, and Apache helicopter flew east over me at the Merstham M23/M25 Interchange. It had a flashing white anti collision light on.

Was it anyone on these boards?

2. Did it have a whirly thing on the top and windows too? If so I may be able to help.

3. A flashing white anti collision light, eh? Well, that should differentiate it from all the rest!

4. If it was being flown in a bullying, supercilious and superior manner.... Flash.

5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

egad! What are the odds? A helicopter? in the sky??? Was it going wocka wocka wocka as well?

Mind you, i am outraged it isnt supporting the troops out in the stan!!!

6. I thought anti collision lights were usually red.

And for clarity...

Attached Files:

7. Can something as hideously ugly and dangerous as an AH64 be flown in any other manner?

I think the designers were trying to convey a 'What the fück are you looking at?' message when they conceived it.

8. I was in Aldershot last week. I saw a Land Rover. It was green. Was the driver a member... oh, never mind.

9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Well, i saw some bloked walking around a big square a few years ago on tv. They were wearing red jackets, and big tall furry hats and had guns. Anyone?

P.S. they must have been naughty cos someone kept shouting at them.

10. I saw a chinook today.......I'm sure you get the gist

11. I thought the lights were red so the pilots could read their maps tac at night, and so not to spoil their night vision :roll:

12. My anti coll light only works intermittently, is it tits??

13. Anti-colls can be used in 3 different ways, Red (at night or tactical day) White during the day (Non tactical) and IR (Night Tactical and formation Flying). If fromation flying the IR lights are usually switched off and the last A/C in the formation only will show a Red Anti-coll.

However the above can depend on SOP's.

14. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What day and time? I saw a green Land Rover on the A9 at the weekend. Is there more than one of them?

15. [Pedant Mode on/] AH must show two anti coll as in isolation they don't cover all FOV - as opposed to Lynx which can get away with leaving the underside one off at night. [pedant mode off] :D