ARRSE Without Ads Subscription

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

After much debate we've finally created an ad free version of ARRSE when using the ARRSE_Standard theme*

[​IMG]

This removes almost everything - header tabs (Rum Ration etc), feeds from sister sites Kit Reviews and This Tribe in the right column, and RVOps on the front, plus of course the banners themselves.

It also reduces the amount of bandwidth the site uses which may be of use to some users on poor connections, and those on older machines should see an improvement in the speed of page rendering (how long your computer takes to 'draw' a page of ARRSE once it has downloaded the info).

Some bits remain - the wiki still has ads in it as it is separate software from the main site and the simple search results also (what you see if you use the search box on the top right). One piece of white space is also left on the front page. The front page needs some love altogether actually, but that's a different matter.

It's a bit 'beta'

The system is still a little rough around the edges - mainly in that after you pay it doesn't say thank you or give a nice helpful "congratulations user, you just got rid of your ads". It just unceremoniously dumps you back on the site. So I'll say thank you now should you subscribe - Thank you!

Practicalities

Payment is via Paypal account or credit card via Paypal and options are:

3 months: £10 (£8.33 + VAT)
    6 months: £18 (£15 + VAT)
    12 months: £30 (£25.00 + VAT)

VAT won't be added if you're outside the EU. Or at least if Paypal thinks you're outside the EU.

Ad blocker message

We will also add a gentle message encouraging those with ad blockers to subscribe - not only does it do a better job than an ad blocker, but also of course does mean that you can contribute a bit.

(If you get the message in error or don't get it when you should do please let us know. We certainly don't want to annoy you!)

In conclusion

I hope that pleases all the people, all of the time for once! (and of course expect to be proved wrong)

Donors

Email us if you think you've paid enough already to get the ad free treatment. Almost certainly no problem at all in giving you a subscription.

And because we're good eggs

If you really want this and for whatever reason can't or won't pay by paypal, just drop us an email. We're not going to argue over a few quid.

Get the theme / subscription here. Ads will be gone immediately after payment, with no ceremony

* if you don't have MTP in the header you need to change to ARRSE_Standard first in the bottom right of the screen or your use settings

• Like Like x 3
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It is now live and will be advertised shortly, although in my own words "still a bit beta". Enjoy and thanks!

3. Already got it, takes a time to get used to the colour, but at least no ads

4. Paid me dibs still got boot adverts

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks very much. Can you be a bit clearer on the boot ads - screenshot maybe?

6. Oh blimey they've gone now

7. I'll have a dabble, once I remember my paypal password............

Not that the ads bother me.

8. It was "Swordfish",

Paid looks ok, ad never bothered me unless they had a formatting issue. Like when we used to get the floating ad halfway up the page.
    Just like tv/radio ads I rarely noticed them.

9. Has there been much interest shown?

10. What no ads?

Lose "Mature dating UK" etc?

I should coco.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Remind me at the time and I'll paypal you the price of whatever you drink.

12. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Is this why I am now getting a blue bordered box containing text telling me I should subscribe to the add-free service, squashed into the last post on every page of every single thread? I do run ad-blocker but having to see this reminder on every single page every time I look at the forums is indeed a tiny bit annoying....

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

This sort of thing is the reason that we included a paragraph basically saying that you should contact us if you want the ad free theme without paying, which as a mod seems very fair. I will take care of it.

14. I said originally, I didn't mind adverts if they weren't too intrusive.... they are a stream of revenue, no one is forced to buy their products, but have you seen the flashing one for scum- sucking ambulance chasers First4Lawyers.

It's piss- taking bastards like them that have to go over the top.

15. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Thanks Good CO - much appreciated.