ARRSE User Experience - Signatures Pictures and Animations - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Bring them back - good things. Add to the interest and humour of ARRSE, and can be useful

2. Don't care - I ignore them without problem and you can turn them off anyway

3. Get rid! Use up space, cause embarrasment at work, take bandwidth. Most are only funny once.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

At the moment the site is not showing signature pictures, neither remote or uploaded to ARRSE. I know exactly why, but this raises an interesting question - fix it or good riddance irritating animations and huge images? Your vote please
  2. Good riddance I have had them disabled for over a year now!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Some of them are quite fun.
    There was a time when a few people went stupid and were putting loads of animated gifs in their sig block.
    Thankfully this seems to have calmed down now so my ha'pennys worth is to keep them.

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints
  4. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

If it hadn't been for the animated signatures, I would never have learnt about this ...

• Like Like x 3
  5. Not overly concerned either way, 'tis of no import to me.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I used to have the Darth Vader thing which I was quite fond of.

It seemed to piss a lot of people off, therefore I'm fully in favour of reinstating it.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I've gone for "don't care" but only because I discovered the "hide" option some time ago. Some of the gifs were a problem at work - if nothing else they attracted the eye of passing people too much.
  8. HHH

HHH LE

I voted bring them back, anyone who doesn't want to see them already has the option to switch them off.
  9. Might be a simple question, but how do you hide them?
  10. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Bin them. They hog my bandwidth
  11. I turned signatures off some considerable time ago, for most of the reasons listed above. I think in some of the serious forums, some signatures are inappropriate and detract from what is being said, whether gifs of skimpily-clad women or comments that, were they to be made as standalone posts would attract ROPs.
  12. HHH

HHH LE

In your settings go to general settings and scroll down and the option is there to enable/disable and then scroll to bottom of page and save changes.

View attachment 126260
  13. Get rid.. Only funny once.

Signatures are gay too. The only way I use the signature block is to further discriminate against posters - for example, I know that I'm likely to dislike the Snail without any form of direct communication, simply by virtue of the signature block.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Get rid. A one line post with a huge animated sig block is a waste of bandwidth. It's also frequently inappropriate in a serious forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Done, many thanks.
    • Like Like x 1