ARRSE User Experience - Signatures Pictures and Animations - Yes or No?

Signatures (the bit that you can make appear under your posts)

• Total voters
At the moment the site is not showing signature pictures, neither remote or uploaded to ARRSE. I know exactly why, but this raises an interesting question - fix it or good riddance irritating animations and huge images? Your vote please

B

bokkatankie

At the moment the site is not showing signature pictures, neither remote or uploaded to ARRSE. I know exactly why, but this raises an interesting question - fix it or good riddance irritating animations and huge images? Your vote please
Good riddance I have had them disabled for over a year now!

Some of them are quite fun.
There was a time when a few people went stupid and were putting loads of animated gifs in their sig block.
Thankfully this seems to have calmed down now so my ha'pennys worth is to keep them.

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
If it hadn't been for the animated signatures, I would never have learnt about this ...

[video=youtube;APtj3EvhfWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtj3EvhfWA[/video]

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I used to have the Darth Vader thing which I was quite fond of.

It seemed to piss a lot of people off, therefore I'm fully in favour of reinstating it.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I've gone for "don't care" but only because I discovered the "hide" option some time ago. Some of the gifs were a problem at work - if nothing else they attracted the eye of passing people too much.

I voted bring them back, anyone who doesn't want to see them already has the option to switch them off.

I've gone for "don't care" but only because I discovered the "hide" option some time ago. Some of the gifs were a problem at work - if nothing else they attracted the eye of passing people too much.
Might be a simple question, but how do you hide them?

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bin them. They hog my bandwidth

I turned signatures off some considerable time ago, for most of the reasons listed above. I think in some of the serious forums, some signatures are inappropriate and detract from what is being said, whether gifs of skimpily-clad women or comments that, were they to be made as standalone posts would attract ROPs.

Get rid.. Only funny once.

Signatures are gay too. The only way I use the signature block is to further discriminate against posters - for example, I know that I'm likely to dislike the Snail without any form of direct communication, simply by virtue of the signature block.

Get rid. A one line post with a huge animated sig block is a waste of bandwidth. It's also frequently inappropriate in a serious forum.

It's not looking promising for signature images so far! Turning them off is fine, but of course guests can't turn them off, and there are far more guests than members

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I went with "don't care" because I have them turned off - there's something about a gif of a scantily clad woman that will catch a colleagues eye across a crowded floor plate. Too much attention

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Keep but restrict the size/amount of data allowed.

If that cant be done - bin.