ARRSE under attack from Hasbro the Evil Toy People

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The ARRSE logo is under threat from the evil folk at Hasbro the toy people. Hasbro have just written to us with a demand that Mr PH be removed from everywhere (having been informed by a member of the public - I wonder who we've upset).

"We refer to........... looks very similar to our Mr Potato Head toy. Because of your use of this image, the public is likely to believe that we licensed, endorsed or authorised this use of our intellectual property. Accordingly this constitutes passing off and copyright infringement"

Any lawyers out there think we have a leg to stand on? Anyone got any contacts in Hasbro that might be persuaded that their letter is ridiculous and just bad publicity for them?
  2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Could do with a good jurno.
  3. I'm guessing emailing back "Bore off c*nty b*llocks" would not solve the issue?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

5. Seen this before, its a complicated subject. They have to prove that the ARRSE icon can be taken as being the Hasbro icon i.e. are they both the same to the extent that joe public would think ARRSE was Hasbro. So, if Mr Potatoe looks like the Hasbro, then yes they could legally force you to remove it. If no, then tell them to shove it. You cant copyright a potatoe.
  6. Copyright is a tough one. Technicalities aside, have they been explicit about their objection toward use in connection with the site, except that it would look like an endorsement?

I'm not a lawyer but God knows I've sat through a load of intellectual property meetings. If goodwill toward serving men and women's morale won't motivate them, then they've probably got bigger toys. No pun intended. :-(
  7. I must have missed their line of drunken moustachioed rifle carrying potatoes this Christmas.
  8. The hasbro image, a rather kiddy fiddling looking potato head nothing like the manly warrior that is arrse potato head.

9. Can't help with the legal aspect but wrt 'Joe Public' thinking the logo and the toy are one and the same, my small child commented on this site having "a picture of that Mr Potato Head toy that I've got" sorry, not very helpful am I :( However, happy to threaten small child with various punishments in order to force him to retract the comment :wink:
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I think I'll try a phonecall along the lines of "private site, markedly different logo, a lot of work done for charities over the years, various good causes and a lot of press attention" - how about a license?
  11. I knew we should have taken a tip from all those SAS books and put a nice black box over the eyes to disguise his identity.
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No, that's all. Quite a friendly letter by legal standards I would imagine.
  13. No toy firm on earth is gonna licence you a image of their toddlers toy holding a pint and a rifle. :roll:
  14. "It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.

Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.

Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.

Adapt the work."

That's fairly explicit. Tere is, of course, the other aspect of arrse merchandise, which Hasbro haven't mentioned.

You might have a bit of an issue crying to the sun about "supporting squaddies" given that every new post on this site is met with "fcuk off journo scum".