ARRSE troll of the year - Lancaster University troll study

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Jun 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if the academic community spent time on our hallowed site in the course of this research - in which case they are probably in need of counselling.

Online trolls post abuse out of boredom, research finds. - Telegraph

I'm not sure how much intellectual firepower was needed to discover that trolls trolled from boredom or from a need for power, amusement or revenge.

For those too idle to follow the link, here's how to spot a troll - Arrse probably sets the standard for 4 & 5. Who, in your view, is the greatest Arrse troll according to these criteria?

How to spot an internet troll
    1) Digressing from the topic at hand, especially onto sensitive topics.
    Not necessarily overtly argumentative, this tactic frustrates its targets with its pointlessness and circularity. Digression onto sensitive topics triggers the strongest reactions.
    2) Hypocriticising, especially for a fault that the critic then displays themself.
    A simple tactic, often this is pedantic criticism of grammar, spelling or punctuation in a post which itself contains proofreading errors to provoke exasperated responses from others.
    3) Antipathising, by taking up an alienating position, asking pseudo-naive questions, etc.
    This tactic is heavily reliant on deceiving the group it is aimed at and covertly manipulates egos, sensitivities, morals and feelings of guilt, usually to trigger emotional responses. It can also create moral dilemmas.
    4) Endangering others by giving dangerous advice, encouraging risky behaviour, etc.
    A trolling strategy designed to masquerade as help or advice whilst actually causing harm and/or forcing others to respond to prevent harm. It relies on the target's social responsibility and moral obligation.
    5) Shocking others by being insensitive about sensitive topics, explicit about taboo topics, etc.
    This appears to succeed mainly due to the strength of feeling provoked by the deeply personal and extraordinarily hurtful nature of the troll's insensitivity. It triggers a desire to retaliate that is stronger than the desire to deny the troll the satisfaction of a response.
    6) Aggressing others by insulting, threatening, or otherwise plainly attacking them without (adequate) provocation.
    This is open and deliberate aggression without any clear justification with the aim of antagonising its target into retaliating.
    7) Crossposting – sending the same offensive or provocative message to multiple groups then waiting for the response.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Almost all of those are what are normally called 'debating style.'

Troll has come to mean 'person who's better at debating than me, and has exposed my foolish arguments and ill-thought-through opinions for the drivel they are. I will now throw a tantrum until the mods win my fight for me.'
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Hope they don't restrict that list of behaviours on ARRSE. The post count will drop 90%...

• Like Like x 2
  4. No is has not! And ill thought through is correct not ill-thought-through!
  5. No it isn't.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. are the MOD going to get a 7.62 SA80A3 then?
    • Like Like x 1

I can't think of an Arrse cross-poster - apart from the occasional spamming from clueless TV companies.
  8. A good half the cunts are fucking livid most of the time.
    • Like Like x 9
  9. Yeah, the thick cunts.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Custard Slices, from a NAFFI wagon.

11. The problem isn't Trolls, it's the reaction from precious cunts who get trolled, nothing funnier than driving outrage in some random forum, especially when they are a bunch of opinionated cods.
    • Like Like x 5

I think the case should be made for moral trolling - trolling on the smugger Mumsnet threads for a start.
  13. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I wouldn't want to name who I (and probably many) think are the biggest trolls on ARRSe - mainly because it gives the O2 Thieves even more publicity, and is the one thing the troll thrives on.

Normally within one or two posts of a potential troll, most people get enough info to see the username and think "whatever", and click off the thread. Some, possibly out of boredom, will be tempted to post their 'funniest insult' their way and snigger to themselves as they type words like "underpant" and "bellthronk", which kind of lost their appeal as the choppers started to use them as their own words.

Personally, I still like it when something rattles Spaz enough to wake up and issue a "sheeps cunt" every once in a while.
  14. I thought this was going to be a Troll poll. How droll.
    • Like Like x 1

Naming names is fun - Higgs_Bosun is probably the most troll-like troll I can think of according to Lancaster Uni's list of evils: repetitive, doesn't engage with the argument and enjoys a spot of holocaust denial.
    • Like Like x 2