ARRSE Tie

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by barbs, Jun 13, 2005.

?
  1. Maybe - depends if it looks OK

38.1%
  2. Yes - great

57.1%
  3. No - Crap Idea

4.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear ARRSE shop runner,

May one suggest the procurement and advertisement of an ARRSE tie. I am confident that the numbers interested would be low but the idea of a grown up wearing an ARRSE tie is too much for me to sleep!

One assumes that it would be agreeably 'regimental' in style - without an offensive motif - but distinctive yet discrete - it would let other members recognise each other in our weird world. The image I have is of the Military Secretary or Adjutant General wearing one on a trip to the Field Army or when addressing the AFF.

To those in the know - how satisfying would that be?

(poll added by GCO)

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I thought about this once before but I don't think the demand would be great enough. We'll try a poll though.

3. I ran a souvenier fund and I seem to recall you can get ties in relatively small batches, say 50 or so.

How about a pink tie with small black dots (ARRSE cheecks with bum-stubble) and diagonal brown stripes? :twisted:

4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Good idea, how about using msr's avatar i.e. Desert palm with capital A at the bottom (am computer biff so can't upload it here!) (ps: don't worry msr nothing to do with you) it fits the discrete and distinctive requirement and would do well on any background colour. i.e. maroon based tie with blue logo for airborne, blue red blue for that lot, black background, white logo for the majority etc.

However, polyester or silk? Cost is an issue and some will not buy it because it is one or the other.

5. Suspect there would be great demand amongst my OCdts. Gave them a paper to write for "homework" on the "Qualities of an Officer" and had a couple of them quoting ARRSE in their references. Not sure if they were happy or sad that I approved.

Anyway, stand up and be counted - if that's not Qualities of an Officer, I don't know what is. And if everyone claims to be Spartacus, they can't hang us all! (Although ties would obviously work better than T Shirts.)

Abacus

P.S. Silk please - save the polyester!

6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I would suggest something loud and indiscreet. Possibly broad stripes of pink, to signify the colour of a set of average arrse cheeks, with chocolate brown, to symbolise the sh1te that gets posted here. Anyone in the know will spot it immediately, and we can tell everyone else that it's the tie of the recently amalgamated 1st battalion the Loamshires, or whatever. :D

And definitely silk please.

7. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

How about Brown/Red/Pink - "Through the mud & the blood to the pink valley beyond". Although may be offensive to chicks & RTR. Silk please.

8. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I think the majority of Tankies would quietly admit that even they think the colour combo of brown red green wasn't to their taste either. But only when alone, drunk and offered more beer.

9. Feckin awesome idea - well done Barbs! I don't care what it looks like - it'll go really well with my mug, my selection of tshirts and collection of posters! :D

10. Maddocks & Dick Ltd

The Tiemaker

Royal Mile, Edinburgh

0131 556 6012

Happy to vouch for quality. No idea what they are like to deal with but sure Good CO is a fine negotiator.

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Stripes:
    Broad Green
    Broad Brown
    Broad Sand
    Thin Black

ie the colours of DPM, but straightend out. Symbolic of the military people straightening things out.

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Well I'm quite surprised. If I go for it I think it should be good quality, so I'll have a think about designs and have a look at prices. If any budding designers want to send something in or post on here of course, that would be more than welcome. I think it has to stripes rather than a blue with icon / capbadge though - the latter would in my view be very naff.

13. I like your thinking sknn.....better than trying to incorporate all of the colours of every regiment in the services to keep all and sundry happy.....

but it'll look awful with any of my suits....BRING IT ON!! :lol:

14. Silk please. And on my firm we have two ties, one for members of our team and another for "friends of" and contacts which has a very discrete red stripe added to it. Maybe for affiliate ARRSER's such as myself who aren't serving military personnel.

V!