ARRSE - the Rockape view

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Apr 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Recent ARRSE threads have clearly left the gentlemen of the RAF Regiment feeling a bit unloved. One of them has suggested the following criteria for the ideal Arrser (much of which I confess I would propose as the basics for the ideal anything - rich, successful, hating politicians, don't read the Daily Mail etc):

On that site, for every 1 decent bloke, there is 9 dickheads.
    To be a fully fledged member of the gang you must minimally...
    Be able to report directly a bloke in a pub who said he's been in the Army, and god forbid, on an op.
    The same applies to anyone who dares to wear an unearned medal.
    It is also helpful to be able to point out that medals have not been mounted to the correct specifications of height etc.
    Read the Telegraph, or Torygraph as they refer to it.
    Never under any circumstances, read the Daily Mail unless its for research purposes to report back to the site.
    Never under any circumstances read any other red top newspaper, reading The Sun is a guarantee to lose any shred of respect you may have mustered.
    You must...
    Own your house.
    Own a garden shed. If you own 2 sheds, your kudos will rocket.
    Own a flash car.
    Own and run a successful business and employ plenty of staff.
    You must not shop anywhere except for Marks and Spencer and Waitrose. Admitting that you shop at Tesco's will induce fits of rage.
    You must hate anyone who is unemployed.
    The same for anyone who lives in a council or social housing home.
    You must also hate fat people with a vengeance.
    You should also look very firmly down your nose at anyone who is employed in a manual job, such as street cleaners etc.
    This applies to coppers and firemen.
    You should eat a healthy diet with plenty of excercise so you are fit and healthy, any fat, however miniscule is a big no-no.
    You must be able to sufficiently disguise your jealousy of anyone who has been or is a serving member of the RAF by saying nasty things about them.
    This is the same for any other branch of the Armed Forces, with the exception of the Army.
    Also hate students and the Prime Minister, regardless of who the Prime Minister is at the time.
    Not forgetting of course, that you must be able to display your anger at another site member by threatening to find the site member and give his nose a good biffing, If you can't find the offender, then you must be able to display your anger by typing nasty names and such as, at the offender.
    You must be outraged to the point of a coronary when people don't give soldiers the respect that arrsers demand, irrespective of whether they have earned it or not.
    If you are all of the above, then you will be a perfect arrser.

Have we been captured in amber or is this just bitter and twisted ranting? In a spirit of reciprocal generosity, what makes the ideal Rockape, particularly with reference to what is considered wrong in the above list?

The full dripping horror can be seen at RockNet, the Headquarters of the RAF Regiment Network • View topic - Arrse? - a word of warning, much of the thread consists of Sunday football types, probably called Kevin, uttering inspirational phrases such as 'don't give them the satisfaction'.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. So it's a bit like Mumsnet then?

This is a link from one of their threads
    Queen's Colour Squadron Royal Albert Hall 2004 - YouTube

Errm, it might be me but, as it's the RAF, where are the red, white and blue smoke canisters that should be strapped to their boots as they do their display. That's what the RAF do, isn't it? Defence cuts or just a fuck up?
    • Like Like x 2

Yes, but non-violent.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. One rock had para wings on his avatar, do they still have to do the three balloon jumps to qualify ?or is he just larging it!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. In a non discriminatory transgender way.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fuck me they have literally no sense of humour. I also note an underlying urge to pretend to be the 'Everyman', the working class heroes.
  7. Balloon descents? What ark did you just step out of?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. What a bunch of EFi warriors with the worlds worst line in banter, the terminally dull bellthronks.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The more they go on, the more chapters to my new Book I shall write, Short Range Desert Group.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Apart from one or two points, the rock ape has summed up the site very well.
    • Like Like x 13
  11. Ahhh.... The Balloon... Nothing quite like a forward somersault at 800' to start your day...

Course, the stackers, blunties and remfs here couldn't do a forward roll at zero feet...

I'm trying to remember the last time anyone threatened to give someone's nose a good biffing - perhaps it's some sort of code from the ACF forum? It's usually 'kick your cunt in' or something to do with lawyers or boiled eggs and barbecues.
  13. I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew my oakley wearing, war dodging, paradigm hogging, KFC eating friend.

Do you know the bloke who took off his body armour and then shot it during "the battle of Bastion"?
  14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

That was my first thought as well. The site does seem to have a disproportionate number of lithe, successful, wealthy, sporty and well educated people.

Or 'bullshitters' as we could refer to them colloquially.
    • Like Like x 22

Though no doubt you've done plenty of sausage rolls at same.