ARRSE Tartan

#2
#4
Different to the norm? Have you seen some of the tartans they've got?

USMC tartan?

Tartan Army tartan?

Amarillo tartan?

Salvation Army Hunting tartan?

Porcupine tartan?
 
#5
I was looking through the various tartan sites, that Google threw up, for something in the ARRSE colours, but the searches don't work like that.

But to have a tartan woven in the ARRSE colours would be spectacular.
 
#6
Tartan_Terrier said:
Different to the norm? Have you seen some of the tartans they've got?

USMC tartan?

Tartan Army tartan?

Amarillo tartan?

Salvation Army Hunting tartan?

Porcupine tartan?
struth, I stand corrected.... but there's no-way I'm wearing a Septic design!

I think the ARRSE colours would be good IMO
(thanks for the website link)
 
#7
They've got some shite on that website!

Err, as a SNCO, is there ever an opportunity for me to wear tartan if I'm eligible to do so? Seemingly, I do have a family tartan.....
 
#8
the_matelot said:
They've got some shite on that website!

Err, as a SNCO, is there ever an opportunity for me to wear tartan if I'm eligible to do so? Seemingly, I do have a family tartan.....
Unsure, but I've seen some RA people wearing tartan trousers with mess kit.
 
#9
moving-target-survivor said:
the_matelot said:
They've got some shite on that website!

Err, as a SNCO, is there ever an opportunity for me to wear tartan if I'm eligible to do so? Seemingly, I do have a family tartan.....
Unsure, but I've seen some RA people wearing tartan trousers with mess kit.
Can you get tartan bell-bottoms?

Seriously, no I don't think you can, unless it's authorised for your unit. I'm pretty sure you can wear civvy highland dress instead of mess kit though.
 
#12
vandyke said:
probably 19 regiment (the highland gunners) or 40 regiment (the lowland gunners)
fair-play, but i think this bloke was at 5 Reg.

I suppose you exercise a right to wear a Tartan if the CO accepts it?

(Indeed, what's the accepted rules for wearing a tartan thats not your own?)
 
#14
Tartan_Terrier said:
Can you get tartan bell-bottoms?

Seriously, no I don't think you can, unless it's authorised for your unit. I'm pretty sure you can wear civvy highland dress instead of mess kit though.
Dont know but I've got a tartan jump suit :D
 
#17
the_matelot said:
Err, as a SNCO, is there ever an opportunity for me to wear tartan if I'm eligible to do so? Seemingly, I do have a family tartan.....
Get on the Mess Comittee and have a Rabbie Burns Night at the beginning of the year, failing that get a singleton multinational/exchange post then you can wear whatever you want just don't get caught out........
 
#18
I like that design tool. I've had a play. What ya reckon?
 

Attachments

#19
moving-target-survivor said:
vandyke said:
probably 19 regiment (the highland gunners) or 40 regiment (the lowland gunners)
fair-play, but i think this bloke was at 5 Reg.

I suppose you exercise a right to wear a Tartan if the CO accepts it?

(Indeed, what's the accepted rules for wearing a tartan thats not your own?)
I believe that, somewhat surprisingly, the etiquette for wearing a tartan (kilt or trews) is that you need to be British, not necessarily Scottish or claiming descendancy from a clan.

Personally, I don't think that many Englishmen would be terribly comfortable with that idea, however as Cornishmen my brother, father and I all wore cornish kilts for my brother's wedding and damned dapper we looked as well! :D

Clearly, if the above mentioned fella was at 5, then standards have slipped drastically! Still, only to be expected with bl00dy locators running all over the place. :wink:
 
#20
Two points.

The wearing of a kilt/trews with naval mess kit is common in the wardroom the-matelot, and it commonly described as 'slater's rig' after Sir Jock who thought it would be a damn fine idea.

More significantly, all this boll0cks about the wearing of tartans associated with clans stems from Sir Walter Scott and the romantic vision of Scotland he created. If you want to wear a kilt, pick one and stick it on. The chicks dig it.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top