ARRSE Tartan / Holidays for Heroes

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Idrach, Nov 7, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I already know what I want!

66.7%
  2. I might be.

14.3%
  3. What a stupid idea.

9.5%
  4. FRISPS! Stop wasting our time.

9.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks,

With a number of our southern colleagues getting properly dressed for the Jock Crawl, the subject of an ARRSE tartan has been raised. A couple of designs were considered and the following was selected by acclamation (I think there was one vote for one of the red versions). The design is a base of Govt No1 with the ARRSE yellow, pink, black, yellow striping - 'cause I couldn't do khaki - the other designs are here if anyone is interested:

[​IMG]

The idea is to get the tartan registered and woven and it is then available for use - with a donation to Hols for Heroes for each item made.

Before we go ahead with that, can I see what the likely uptake is going to be?

We would potentially be looking at getting fabric woven in a number of styles:

Heavy-weight wool - gents' military pattern kilts.
    Light-weight wool - ladies' kilts or skirts, handbags, gents' dress kilts, waistcoats, even trews if you want them.
    Silk - mess jacket linings, cummerbunds, dresses, miniskirts, ties (if our colonial cousins really must)

I would also welcome opinions on the HolsFH donation - I was thinking of a fiver for the smaller items up to £20 for kilts ...

Any other ideas, please add to the thread.

2. but i'm biased

3. Wouldnt most be happy to chuck £20 in no matter what was made up??

Mini kilt for me :)

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you do a search you will find that there was a tartan pattern in full Arrse colours decided upon in '06. It might be worth having a look at those first.

That one is a bit too 'hunting' for me tbh, as I tend to prefer the so called ancient patterns. Just an opinion!

5. Is'nt that just for Hols 4 Heroes,just the donation?

6. here's me thinking that hunting and ancient were the same thing as well, Idrach explained it once but i've slept since!

7. Gremlin

8. GCO said there had been one from much earlier days, around the design of the ties, but there had been nothing taken forward. And he couldn't find the thread.

With a user called "Tartan" and the endless Shortt threads, the search ain't great. But Gremlin's found them. Yuck. Almost as bad as the "Hello Kitty" official tartan (yes, there is one :x )

Indeed, the donation - a dress kilt you're looking upwards of £150, a proper mil one, I have seen for as little as £325 - but wasn't Sainty's entire kilt outfit £50?

9. I'd wear a skirt with this one:

/images/albums/userpics/17219/arrse_tartan.gif

The new proposal looks a little.... flat.

Just my opinion.

10. IMO the new one is alot more presentable and real tartan like.

11. Gremlin

12. looks wrong, the use of government pattern as the base is good and apt in a way.

13. I had been relatively keen on the red designs but, apart from Johnboyzzz, the votes from those who seemed most likely to actually purchase, were for the Govt No1 based ...

And, to an extent, that is the point - to have something that people will buy and wear? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

14. Gremlin

Agreed, you need to do a search like this if you are going further than 12 months back:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&q=%22arrse+tartan%22+site%3Awww.arrse.co.uk&meta=&aq=&oq=&fp=4de6aef1efa46664

If we are going to do a kilt, can we at least use a proper medium to heavy weight material? More expensive I know, but cheap tourist/American market ones look gash.

Given the choice I'd go for 3/4" Box pleats as well; I'd be amazed to get a decent job made up for less than £350 by the way.