• I might be.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What a stupid idea.

• FRISPS! Stop wasting our time.

• Total voters
Folks,

With a number of our southern colleagues getting properly dressed for the Jock Crawl, the subject of an ARRSE tartan has been raised. A couple of designs were considered and the following was selected by acclamation (I think there was one vote for one of the red versions). The design is a base of Govt No1 with the ARRSE yellow, pink, black, yellow striping - 'cause I couldn't do khaki - the other designs are here if anyone is interested:

The idea is to get the tartan registered and woven and it is then available for use - with a donation to Hols for Heroes for each item made.

Before we go ahead with that, can I see what the likely uptake is going to be?

We would potentially be looking at getting fabric woven in a number of styles:

Heavy-weight wool - gents' military pattern kilts.
Light-weight wool - ladies' kilts or skirts, handbags, gents' dress kilts, waistcoats, even trews if you want them.
Silk - mess jacket linings, cummerbunds, dresses, miniskirts, ties (if our colonial cousins really must)

I would also welcome opinions on the HolsFH donation - I was thinking of a fiver for the smaller items up to £20 for kilts ...

Any other ideas, please add to the thread.

If you do a search you will find that there was a tartan pattern in full Arrse colours decided upon in '06. It might be worth having a look at those first.

That one is a bit too 'hunting' for me tbh, as I tend to prefer the so called ancient patterns. Just an opinion!

here's me thinking that hunting and ancient were the same thing as well, Idrach explained it once but i've slept since!

Gremlin said:
If you do a search you will find that there was a tartan pattern in full Arrse colours decided upon in '06. It might be worth having a look at those first.

That one is a bit too 'hunting' for me tbh, as I tend to prefer the so called ancient patterns. Just an opinion!
GCO said there had been one from much earlier days, around the design of the ties, but there had been nothing taken forward. And he couldn't find the thread.

With a user called "Tartan" and the endless Shortt threads, the search ain't great. But Gremlin's found them. Yuck. Almost as bad as the "Hello Kitty" official tartan (yes, there is one :x )

taboo said:
jarrod248 said:
£20 seems very cheap for a kilt
Is'nt that just for Hols 4 Heroes,just the donation?
Indeed, the donation - a dress kilt you're looking upwards of £150, a proper mil one, I have seen for as little as £325 - but wasn't Sainty's entire kilt outfit £50?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd wear a skirt with this one:

/images/albums/userpics/17219/arrse_tartan.gif

The new proposal looks a little.... flat.

Just my opinion.

IMO the new one is alot more presentable and real tartan like.

looks wrong, the use of government pattern as the base is good and apt in a way.

I had been relatively keen on the red designs but, apart from Johnboyzzz, the votes from those who seemed most likely to actually purchase, were for the Govt No1 based ...

And, to an extent, that is the point - to have something that people will buy and wear? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

Idrach said:
With a user called "Tartan" and the endless Shortt threads, the search ain't great.
Agreed, you need to do a search like this if you are going further than 12 months back:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe...arrse.co.uk&meta=&aq=&oq=&fp=4de6aef1efa46664

If we are going to do a kilt, can we at least use a proper medium to heavy weight material? More expensive I know, but cheap tourist/American market ones look gash.

Given the choice I'd go for 3/4" Box pleats as well; I'd be amazed to get a decent job made up for less than £350 by the way.

Gremlin said:
If we are going to do a kilt, can we at least use a proper medium to heavy weight material? More expensive I know, but cheap tourist/American market ones look gash.

Given the choice I'd go for 3/4" Box pleats as well; I'd be amazed to get a decent job made up for less than £350 by the way.
I've actually been working on this for some time - and was looking at getting Dalgliesh to do the weaving. That way, we can get the proper heavyweight weave for the mens' kilts (16oz) as well as having the 11oz available for trews, ladies' kilts and any wimps :) .

If you check Bugpiper's eBay shop, he has somebody making up new Army pattern kilts in 18oz for £325 - but yes, a proper one is going to cost real dosh.

Edited to add: But I wasn't planning on adding the kilts to the shop - if we let people purchase the material (especially for the ladies and dresses - mwl wants a new mess-kit) and they can get it made up by whoever. We can find some decent shops and recommend ...

I think It was mainly just people on the crawl voting before but I still think the top one is classy.

To me the others are just a bit tacky,but again everyone going to have different taste.

Idrach said:
I had been relatively keen on the red designs but, apart from Johnboyzzz, the votes from those who seemed most likely to actually purchase, were for the Govt No1 based ...

And, to an extent, that is the point - to have something that people will buy and wear? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?
Totally agreed, just presenting the options that have been worked on before.

Most were made up using this:

www.tartangenerator.com

I thought that was the point was get made what you want, with the weight you want hence the OPs mention of items and weights?