ARRSE Search Function

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by MadeUpName, Jan 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm probably a prima donna but I have a few quibbles with the search function. It ignores short search terms which can be a pain when looking for information on something that has a common army acronym or abbreviation. Secondly, the results are listed by thread not the actual page with your topic. Normally this is fine but there are some mammoth threads out there with a variety of topics meandering through the same thread.

I have been using google and then but this does seem a bit fiddly when there is a built in search function. I could say improving it may mean newbies look up old threads before posting the same question for the 100th time but we all know that will never happen.
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

About your thread / post issue. You can:

1) Once you have the thread, use the thread tools (grey bar at the top of any thread) to search within the thread, or
    2) Use 'search single content type' (one of the two tabs in advanced search). This gives you the option to see results by thread or post.

You'll have to be more precise with 'ignores search terms'. Can you give me an example that's not working?
  3. RE: 1) and 2), thank you for the tips.

Correct me if I'm wrong but search terms with 3 or less characters seem to be disregarded. I'm applying for a commission (hopefully) into the RAC but search terms like KRH, QRH, LD, even RAC are ignored. These examples also being cases where the long forms are rarely used and the army does have a fondness for abbreviations so I'm sure there are many more examples. This isn't a massive problem to the extent that sooner or later I find the thread I want but sorting for relevance can feel a bit cumbersome and less smooth than it could be. I don't remember this being an issue with the search function in the site's previous design.
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for that - should now be sorted.