Arrse Reptile and odd pets thread.

Kirkz

LE
Sorry about that everyone, plenty of rats in Aldershot, just for some reason no gerbils (no comments on lurid Sun headlines from the 80s about "comics" and squaddies are coming to mind, honest).
Pet shop boys walt.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
An odd thought occurred to me in the middle of the night, like they do - what do you reptile keepers do for your beasts in the event of a heatwave like the current one? Most people think of reptiles being "cold blooded" and coming from hot countries, but obviously they need to be able to cool down as well...

Kirkz

LE
An odd thought occurred to me in the middle of the night, like they do - what do you reptile keepers do for your beasts in the event of a heatwave like the current one? Most people think of reptiles being "cold blooded" and coming from hot countries, but obviously they need to be able to cool down as well...
Misting the viv morning, afternoon and night, make sure there is plenty of water in there, put ice in it if necessary, keep the curtains closed in that room.

Dime, the Kenyan Plated Lizard is kept at 30C and to my knowledge, it's never exceeded that indoors, it just means the heater does less work. He has constant access to a small dog bowl of regularly changed water, but in the 30+ years we've had him, I've only seen him drink a handful of times.
Mind you, on a couple of occasions, he's dropped a mealworm into the water and has no problem dunking his head under to retrieve it. That usually causes a sneezing fit.
I've a feeling he thinks UK heatwaves are for poofs.