Arrse Reptile and odd pets thread.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I already had that skull before I got the snake, when I got the tank it was the obvious place to then put it.
Beats a patio. Hide it in broad day light.:-D

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Kirkz

LE
You need a snow snake from way up North.
Cheers for the info, they look pretty cool (no pun intended).
snow-snake-image.jpg

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
@Kirkz have you ever watched Klint,s Reptiles on YouTube?

Klint is a prat

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Way back I said that Cyd , the Royal Python, sometimes wanders.
Over the years she has escaped 4 or 5 times- she is strong enough to force the slide opening glass panes of the front load viv, (and despite the glass being wedged has done it again.)
Sods law it was the day before I went on holiday.
Quick check of knooks and crannies with a torch revealed nothing

At least I knew she was either in the front room or the kitchen so I was resigned to either a dead soggy snake when I returned or spending time trapping her.

The house and weather is warm and despite what the books say about them needing a high temp there was a good chance she would survive so I left a bowl of water and went away
(In the past it has been autumn so a warm space was needed and she was behind the fridge, under the sofa, coiled at the back of the tv etc and I found her within a day.)

A week later I get back.
I open the front door,
The house smells ok.
I open the inner doors and find she has trashed the kitchen whilst I was away!.
If it was on a worksurface or window ledge it is now on the floor and whilst a quick look shows no sign of her I now know which room she is in.

I go to bed and this morning find all I had tidied was on the floor- plus saucepans (Must have slept sound as I never heard a thing)

I start searching,
Not under/at the back of the fridge or freezer
Ditto the cooker
Not in the cupboards under the sink
Bugger!

A snake is like a mouse, the only hard bit is the skull so any hole that size is where to look and kitchens have lots of small gaps

Long story short is I ended up having to dismantle a fitted worksurface to gain access the units and washing machine.
Yep, there she was, wrapped around the pipes and determined not to let go.
Bit of a major tug of war but she is now back in her viv and I am reassembling my kitchen
Deep Joy- not

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Over the years she has escaped 4 or 5 times- she is strong enough to force the slide opening glass panes of the front load viv, (and despite the glass being wedged has done it again.)

At least I knew she was either in the front room or the kitchen so I was resigned to either a dead soggy snake when I returned or spending time trapping her.

The house and weather is warm and despite what the books say about them needing a high temp there was a good chance she would survive so I left a bowl of water and went away
(In the past it has been autumn so a warm space was needed and she was behind the fridge, under the sofa, coiled at the back of the tv etc and I found her within a day.)

A week later I get back.
I open the front door,
The house smells ok.
If it was on a worksurface or window ledge it is now on the floor and whilst a quick look shows no sign of her I now know which room she is in.

I go to bed and this morning find all I had tidied was on the floor- plus saucepans (Must have slept sound as I never heard a thing)

I start searching,
Ditto the cooker
Bugger!

A snake is like a mouse, the only hard bit is the skull so any hole that size is where to look and kitchens have lots of small gaps

Long story short is I ended up having to dismantle a fitted worksurface to gain access the units and washing machine.
Bit of a major tug of war but she is now back in her viv and I am reassembling my kitchen
Deep Joy- not
Forgive the silly question but don't those sliding glass doors have a lock?

Kirkz

LE

A week later I get back.
I open the front door,
The house smells ok.

I start searching,
Ditto the cooker
Bugger!

Deep Joy- not
I'm always amazed at how fast the buggers can be when they want to or are scared.
0 to warp speed in 0.1 of a nano second.

Kirkz

LE
Forgive the silly question but don't those sliding glass doors have a lock?
Some do some don't.
Kellogs the corn snake his viv doors have a lock but Kenwood the milk snakes viv doors don't.

We had a couple of turtles wandering around the back garden this week.

Lots of rain recently which has caused flooding in some parts. We have a couple of lakes on the estate and along with some fish there are turtles in there. When we have heavy rains the usually empty monsoon drain, gully type things fill up and the turtles go walkabout along the gullys. They then end up on the other side of the estate from the lake. If we find one we take it back to the lake so that it doesn't die from the heat, or by getting run over. If you ever see one and try so save it; wear gloves (they bite) and hold it well away from you, they piss themselves ............... ask my lad how we found that out:).

A week later I get back.
I open the front door,
The house smells ok.

I start searching,
Ditto the cooker
Bugger!

Deep Joy- not

There used to be a time when some people kept iguanas in the kitchens of apartments in NY City. They used to live behind the fridge where it was nice and warm and they kept the cockroaches down. Loads of these multi-million $ apartments have rodent and cockroach problems.

Kirkz

LE
hognose snake, rear fanged and mildly venomous. No DWA required though
This is what I love about Arrse, there is always someone who knows their sh1t.

There are lizards all over the southern states. Used to have some horned lizrds around the previous house, fcukers used to make you jump if they were chasing something and hit one of the patio doors with a loud thwack.

The little ones hide most of the day and come out at night to grab the bugs. Wengot green ones, brown ones, pinkish ones, and colour changers. As to make an type, they all all referred to as Chit Chats.

When the army had sunshine postings, yeah that long ago, the generic squaddie term for little wall crawling lizards was Chit Chats. We had them in Aden, in Kenya and Singapore (I was a padbrat], I use the term Chit Chat and the wife and kids picked it up and use it now too.
remember them in Singers and up country - far, far ago; long time away.

Not mine but I saw this fellow this morning.

lizard.jpg

And again as it ran away due to my hamfistedness taking the first picture.

lizard2.jpg

Last edited:

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Some do some don't.
Kellogs the corn snake his viv doors have a lock but Kenwood the milk snakes viv doors don't.
Is he called Kenwood 'cos at parties he's a good mixer? And is Kellogs a bit flakey?

Kirkz

LE
Is he called Kenwood 'cos at parties he's a good mixer? And is Kellogs a bit flakey?
No, Kellogs because he's a corn snake (Kellogs corn flakes) and Kenwood because when I first got him we built a temporary viv for him and used some old car speaker mesh to make vent covers, I stuck the badge off the speaker to the viv and the name stuck with him.

Kirkz

LE

Latest Threads