Arrse Reptile and odd pets thread.

Kirkz

LE
The scrubs were brilliant, full of character, and looked amazing in the sun. Bred those a couple of times.
Do they come in albino?
Really would like an albino snake.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I've had a ball python for about 15 years now. He did go off his food at one point so force feeding was necessary along with injecting some antibiotics in case he had an infection. What a palaver that was but got it done and he has been fine ever since.

Can't we use their more elegant name "Royal Python"?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
This thread is brilliant. Thanks @Kirkz !

Like you, I'm serious thinking about reptiles when me and (more importantly) the other half have retired. As a kid I had a Boa Constrictor, who went to live at Parslow's Hamster Farm when he got too big (must have thought he'd gone to snake heaven!!).

About 18 months ago we went to visit a Boa breeder who, conincidentally, lived near to where the "hamster farm" used to be in Bookham, Surrey. He had drawers and drawers full of boas of different colours - I think his main interest was in breeding different colour strains - some were amazing but that side of it doesn't really interest me.

In future I'd like to have another BC, perhaps a Royal Python. My favourite snake of all would be Gaboon viper (but obviously not for "beginners"!!)

Also interested in day geckos and chameleons, and tortoises which I've found out are not as boring as I thought they were.

Thanks for all the good posts.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
As an aside, does anyone regularly see slow worms or common lizards in their gardens these days? Used to see them from time to time as a kid but not for years now.

Oh, and toads - would love to have a resident one. Another factoid I discovered recently was that they can live for decades!

Kirkz

LE
As an aside, does anyone regularly see slow worms or common lizards in their gardens these days? Used to see them from time to time as a kid but not for years now.

Oh, and toads - would love to have a resident one. Another factoid I discovered recently was that they can live for decades!
I had a slow worm when I was a teenager, had it for several years.
Saw one when I was down in Devon a couple of years ago, as usual hidden under some discarded wrinkly tin.
Not seen one up here in a long time though.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Rescued one from a cat at mother's care home a few years ago. It caused quite a sensation (mostly positive), as I showed it to the staff and residents. Unfortunately I didn't know what to do except put it back under a bush in the garden and hope for the best.

Kirkz

LE
Rescued one from a cat at mother's care home a few years ago. It caused quite a sensation (mostly positive), as I showed it to the staff and residents. Unfortunately I didn't know what to do except put it back under a bush in the garden and hope for the best.
Not a lot else you could do really.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Not a lot else you could do really.

Being the herpetologist that you are, you might be able to answer this. The slowworm in question was quite large (10-12 inches?) a light golden colour and underneath round the vent seemed to have something sticking out. Could this have been an injury inflicted by the bloody cat, or something else?

Kirkz

LE
Being the herpetologist that you are, you might be able to answer this. The slowworm in question was quite large (10-12 inches?) a light golden colour and underneath round the vent seemed to have something sticking out. Could this have been an injury inflicted by the bloody cat, or something else?
Difficult to say without seeing it.
I don't remember anything sticking out of mine or any that I've seen/handled.

Kirkz

LE
Burmese python comes in albino, often called golden python

golden-python-yellow-snake-lying-on-ground-albino-burmese-python-TR8W7B.jpg

Slow worms are very common here in the southern end of Hampshire. I have rescued a couple from being tormented by my neighbour’s cats.
I saw an odd thing some years back when visiting Mrs R’s cousins in Dover. Noticing movement in a hedge, I was told it was slow worms. I had always thought they lived on terra firma. Beautiful and fascinating creatures.

I will add here that I have no desire to share my house with a reptile. Unless it pays its way and eats the occasional rodent, which will not be supplied by me.
I am oddly fascinated by reptiles, though.
So might still lurk.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
For any laydee reptile enthusiasts, I have been wearing my Biba pyjamas "Silas" design which has flowers and trees with snakes winding through them! They also do the same design in bed linen. :)

I had a slow worm when I was a teenager, had it for several years.
Saw one when I was down in Devon a couple of years ago, as usual hidden under some discarded wrinkly tin.
Not seen one up here in a long time though.

I had a slow worm as a pet when I was a kid. Lived in MQ in Cove and found it in the training grounds near Hawley lake.

Fascinating little thing.

My dad made a cage for it from a rabbit hutch with a fine mesh grille.

My mother hated it. She is an Irish nutcase (99 this month) and kept telling me to get rid of the "snake" on the grounds that it was probably poisonous. Trying to explain it was a lizard was pointless. Paddies don't have snakes and my mum thought snakes sat on babies faces and suffocated them. A true nutter.

chrismcd

Old-Salt
May have been it's penis retracting? if it was on the lookout for a mate it might explain why it was out and about in the first place. Have a look at the pictures.

chrismcd

Old-Salt
If you want a real snake party go to Florida and go out wild camping in the Everglades. You will very quickly find some pythons coming to visit you.
In Florida on holiday years ago the house had a number of Anole lizards which I seriously considered lizard-napping. They were all over the walls chasing moths and looked to be very intelligent and full of character. But thought they might be an endangered species.

Apparently Cuban Anoles are another pest species in Florida - I would probably have been paid to take one away!

Settled for a King Snake and a Leopard Gecko

In Florida on holiday years ago the house had a number of Anole lizards which I seriously considered lizard-napping. They were all over the walls chasing moths and looked to be very intelligent and full of character. But thought they might be an endangered species.

Apparently Cuban Anoles are another pest species in Florida - I would probably have been paid to take one away!

There are lizards all over the southern states. Used to have some horned lizrds around the previous house, fcukers used to make you jump if they were chasing something and hit one of the patio doors with a loud thwack.

The little ones hide most of the day and come out at night to grab the bugs. Wengot green ones, brown ones, pinkish ones, and colour changers. As to make an type, they all all referred to as Chit Chats.

When the army had sunshine postings, yeah that long ago, the generic squaddie term for little wall crawling lizards was Chit Chats. We had them in Aden, in Kenya and Singapore (I was a padbrat], I use the term Chit Chat and the wife and kids picked it up and use it now too.

I had cause to be in Bermuda in 2009, catching the finish of a leg of the Tall Ship’s Race.
These Anoles are all over the place. Fascinating little beasts. Like you, I thought of lizard-napping a few. Drinking Gosling’s rum does that to you.
Rest assured, all fauna were left unmolested and where I found them.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer

This was Plumpy, SWMBO's pet, E African bullfrog (sadly departed):
LolaCallieHolly and Plumpy 021.jpg

LolaCallieHolly and Plumpy 022.jpg