Arrse Reptile and odd pets thread.

@Kirkz regarding the current "heatwave", you omitted to tell me (perhaps you didn't think I was blonde) to turn his fecking heatlamp off . Having contacted the garden centre today, they informed me that if temperature was more than around 25C he doesn't need any other heating, nor does he need heating at night unless he's living in a shed! Now I've broken the news to the old man, perhaps he'll let me have the aircon on tonight as a trade off!

To excuse my thickyness, this is the first really warm weather we've had, and I hadn't really considered it before as the heating is supposed to have a thermostat.
Always best to have thermostatically controlled heating, whether the source is lamp, ceramic or whatever; especially as your boy is a bit of a worry regarding feeding, it takes a variable away.
They are pretty long lasting these days, ours is 35+ years old and still maintains 30deg C, constantly. It also saves me a bollocking when I change his water and leave the door ajar, at least he doesn't get cold!
Without one, and the Aircon on, the ambient temp will affect his viv, reptiles don't generally like yo-yoing temps.

Having returned from Exmoor last week and collected Jupiter who was boarding with the mother in law (she's a good egg and game for anything at the age of 88!) she reported that she'd not seen him at all for a couple of days, when I examined him the eyes were "blue" and skin dull-looking.

After a few "anxious parent" days when he still remained in his hide, I spotted him moving around in there this morning. About an hour later there was an almost complete skin which he'd managed to shed while in his bedroom and push it out the door!

Good lad :)

I expected to see lots of pictures of Corbyn, Starmer, Raynor etc etc.

I don't think they count as "pets". Not something I wish to contemplate ...

Having returned from Exmoor last week and collected Jupiter who was boarding with the mother in law (she's a good egg and game for anything at the age of 88!) she reported that she'd not seen him at all for a couple of days, when I examined him the eyes were "blue" and skin dull-looking.

After a few "anxious parent" days when he still remained in his hide, I spotted him moving around in there this morning. About an hour later there was an almost complete skin which he'd managed to shed while in his bedroom and push it out the door!

Good lad :)

A whole skin shed is a sign of a well maintained environment for him so I think you just need to keep doing the same. Another sign of about to shed is a pinkening of his underside. Also you might find he loses his appetite at shedding time, in fact some advise not to even bother trying him with a mouse that week.

A whole skin shed is a sign of a well maintained environment for him so I think you just need to keep doing the same. Another sign of about to shed is a pinkening of his underside. Also you might find he loses his appetite at shedding time, in fact some advise not to even bother trying him with a mouse that week.

"Daddy" offered him a mouse last night, for the first time. "Daddy" nearly fell over backwards when Jupes exploded out of his hide and grabbed it!

Epic fail last night, when Jupiter came straight out of his hide, following the proffered mouse, missed it and got my finger instead.

He then refused to eat the mouse.

I think the herpetological term for this behaviour is "being an arrsehole".

EddieVDog

War Hero
Epic fail last night, when Jupiter came straight out of his hide, following the proffered mouse, missed it and got my finger instead.

one word.......forceps.

I have to admit to being too lazy to find the 'tidied up' tweezers to feed the lizard. It's not unusual to hear 'That's my finger, not the worm/mouse/lump of banana!'
Banana, something he loves is the worst as it is from the end of one that we're having with breakfast and has just come out of the fridge. I'm quite adept at the last minute dodge as he aims for my warm finger or thumb. Last week it went wrong, and I ended up with a 50 cm lizard hanging from my index finger. At 35+ his teeth aren't so sharp now and although it hurts, normally no blood is drawn.
The last couple of packets of small mice that we've bought seem to be unattractive to him. On a whim, I've been rinsing them before defrosting and thoroughly warming them in my hand before feeding him. It seems to work, perhaps they smelled of something, just seemed mousy to me.

How many has he scoffed in total so far? If several then an odd ignored one here and there is not a problem.

I guess you now have a perforated finger in the form of a neat snake jaw pattern. Typically if he has his neck coiled in an s shape then he might be getting ready to lunge, and as I further guess you found out yesterday when the lunge comes it is very quick, too quick for you to react to in fact.

How many has he scoffed in total so far? If several then an odd ignored one here and there is not a problem.

I guess you now have a perforated finger in the form of a neat snake jaw pattern. Typically if he has his neck coiled in an s shape then he might be getting ready to lunge, and as I further guess you found out yesterday when the lunge comes it is very quick, too quick for you to react to in fact.

He's had two in the last couple of months, I think the only thing that was different this time is that he was already out of his hide and moving across his viv; obviously I wouldn't get within range if his neck was coiled back, but he looked to be moving in a straight line but being out, rather than at his small bedroom door meant there was more margin for error I guess!

As for my finger, it's no more than a tiny scratch, but drew blood so as soon as I'd given it a good squeeze under the tap and wash with soap and hot water, I went back and tried to tempt him with the mouse again (unsurprisingly I used forceps this time), he definitely seemed interested, he was back in his hide but moving his head around and looking out. I thought I can't keep this game up all night so left the mouse and in the morning it was untouched :-(

EddieVDog

War Hero
He's had two in the last couple of months, I think the only thing that was different this time is that he was already out of his hide and moving across his viv; obviously I wouldn't get within range if his neck was coiled back, but he looked to be moving in a straight line but being out, rather than at his small bedroom door meant there was more margin for error I guess!

As for my finger, it's no more than a tiny scratch, but drew blood so as soon as I'd given it a good squeeze under the tap and wash with soap and hot water, I went back and tried to tempt him with the mouse again (unsurprisingly I used forceps this time), he definitely seemed interested, he was back in his hide but moving his head around and looking out. I thought I can't keep this game up all night so left the mouse and in the morning it was untouched :-(
snakes will soon develop an association for certain behaviours and food. I know of some keepers of big snakes, especially Reticulated Pythons who only feed from the lef (or right) hand side of the viv and carry out maintenance (sh1t shovelling, water changes etc) from the opposite side. That way if the snake develops the association of a particular door being opened with food being presented, the keeper is at risk of a feeding strike whenever he or she opens the 'wrong' door for what they're doing. Add to that their sense of smell and they know there's food about as soon as you bring a defrosted mouse/rat out.

He also spent the whole of yesterday in his water bowl which is unusual (he did this a lot when we first got him) but doesn't seem to be related to temperature so I'm still trying to figure out his behaviour...

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
He also spent the whole of yesterday in his water bowl which is unusual (he did this a lot when we first got him) but doesn't seem to be related to temperature so I'm still trying to figure out his behaviour...
Mind tend to do that just before shedding.

Having a soak is a known thing for pythons. I would take it as a positive sign, even if we can't be sure why he did so.

Pleased to report that the lad took his mouse and gobbled it down without incident last night, apart from the rather touching and childlike enthusiasm of my other half who wanted to watch. I made sure snake was peeping out of his hide and used some wooden tongs that the OH had found in the kitchen (and are now Jupes' dedicated "feeding tongs". Once he'd taken the mouse, I crept out of the room and left him alone.

About 5 minutes later the OH came out in the garden where I was celebrating with a small beer, with a big grin and a thumbs up to indicate that the lad had managed to get the mouse the right way round and it was rapidly disappearing down the little red lane.

:-D

Pleased to report that the lad took his mouse and gobbled it down without incident last night, apart from the rather touching and childlike enthusiasm of my other half who wanted to watch. I made sure snake was peeping out of his hide and used some wooden tongs that the OH had found in the kitchen (and are now Jupes' dedicated "feeding tongs". Once he'd taken the mouse, I crept out of the room and left him alone.

About 5 minutes later the OH came out in the garden where I was celebrating with a small beer, with a big grin and a thumbs up to indicate that the lad had managed to get the mouse the right way round and it was rapidly disappearing down the little red lane.

:-D

I pop Jack's supper in late on then leave him to it, I figure that although he has never seemingly been phased by viewers it is probably best to leave him to get on with it. I do sometimes peep round the corner of the room though and am always happy when I see him on that case.

I pop Jack's supper in late on then leave him to it, I figure that although he has never seemingly been phased by viewers it is probably best to leave him to get on with it. I do sometimes peep round the corner of the room though and am always happy when I see him on that case.

Perhaps Jack has a bit of a higher IQ than Jupiter. I tried that initially, as his previous keepers said that was what they did, but food was always ignored and wasted. For the time being we will carry on enjoying the moment, as it didn't seem to bother the lad last night.

As an aside, he's fed three times now, but still hasn't done a poo! Although he did one a few months ago, a long time after he'd last fed! Should I be worried? Everything seems to be OK otherwise.

Latest Threads