Arrse Reptile and odd pets thread.

Kirkz

LE
I can't be the only poster on Arrse who keeps reptiles as pets.
I know @Ciggie has or had a lizard and I currently have two snakes, a corn snake called Kellogs and a milk snake called Kenwood.
Anyone else here keep reptiles or insects, spiders etc?
20210518_163335.jpg
20210518_163601.jpg

Is the Milk Snake the same as a king snake? Masquerading as a coral snake.

I did, but not any more.
I had a Mexican Green Iguana, and an African Rock Python.
They are very interesting to have a pets that's for sure.

Kirkz

LE
I did, but not any more.
I had a Mexican Green Iguana, and an African Rock Python.
They are very interesting to have a pets that's for sure.
I got into keeping snakes by accident.
I found the milk snake about 10 years ago while out on delivery, asked about and even told the local vet I'd found it but no one came to claim it so I kept it.
The corn snake I was given by Kirkz Mk2 uni friend who was offered a job down south and couldn't take it with her so gave it to me as she knew I knew how to look after it.
I find them very interesting to watch and handling them can be quite soothing when they slide over your hands and arms.

Yes they are very soothing things both to watch and handle.

I did have a Royal Python but it was a rescue type deal from a pet shop that couldn't get it to eat. I think the poor thing was traumatised by folks tapping on the window at it. It got down to force feeding after a vet's advice but it didn't last long, but we did try.

Those you have look in top condition, you can instantly tell they are looked after very well indeed.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mini Me Mk 1 has a bearded dragon

I used to keep phelsuma laticauda laticauda

1621353870752.png

at my first unit **** ****** had a fish eating snake, an insect known only as 'ugly' and a bird eating spider.

there were a few red knee tarantulas as well, one of them was scared of it's food and ran away whenever we fed it. Eventually it would get hungry enough to kill a cricket or two.

Kirkz

LE
Yes they are very soothing things both to watch and handle.

I did have a Royal Python but it was a rescue type deal from a pet shop that couldn't get it to eat. I think the poor thing was traumatised by folks tapping on the window at it. It got down to force feeding after a vet's advice but it didn't last long, but we did try.

Those you have look in top condition, you can instantly tell they are looked after very well indeed.
Fed watered and cleaned out regularly and get supliments as well.
It was a bit of a learning curve with the milk snake as I had never kept a reptile before.
Luckily for me friend of Kirkz Mk1 had just lost a terrapin to some problem or other and offered me the tank, light, heater and gubbins for inside, after that it was down to internet research and reading lots of books.
Must be doing something right as the milk snake has more than trippled in size and has lasted over 10 years.

Kirkz

LE
Mini Me Mk 1 has a bearded dragon

I used to keep phelsuma laticauda laticauda

View attachment 574353

at my first unit **** ****** had a fish eating snake, an insect known only as 'ugly' and a bird eating spider.

there were a few red knee tarantulas as well, one of them was scared of it's food and ran away whenever we fed it. Eventually it would get hungry enough to kill a cricket or two.
Kirkz Mk1 had a Leopard gecko for a few years.
They seem to make good pets.

Ciggie

GCM
I can't be the only poster on Arrse who keeps reptiles as pets.
I know @Ciggie has or had a lizard and I currently have two snakes, a corn snake called Kellogs and a milk snake called Kenwood.
Anyone else here keep reptiles or insects, spiders etc?View attachment 574349View attachment 574350
Kept...ol´Greener the Iguana was an aggressive psychotic ****** and I ended up donating ít (really hard to sex iguanas) to the Vetirinarian Uni terrarium club in Slovakia where as far as I know it is terrorising keepers to this day, who confirmed last time I visited that it was the nastiest iguana they´d ever had ! OK, I fucked around with the colours a bit on this pic !!!

27211_317698223395_984535_n.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Kept...ol´Greener the Iguana was an aggressive psychotic ****** and I ended up donating ít (really hard to sex iguanas) to the Vetirinarian Uni terrarium club in Slovakia where as far as I know it is terrorising keepers to this day, who confirmed last time I visited that it was the nastiest iguana they´d ever had ! OK, I fucked around with the colours a bit on this pic !!!

View attachment 574354
A girl I knew a few years ago had an iguana and she used to take out for walks with a harness and a lead, it was quite a size too.

I fostered an iguana (it was green, all I can remember) for a while. Surprisingly entertaining & amusing. And more than a bit (to human eyes) stupid. A right sod to get to 'go to bed' in his nice warm vivarium thing, as opposed to some shelves or on your shoulder.
I'd probably have one as a pet now.

Ciggie

GCM
A girl I knew a few years ago had an iguana and she used to take out for walks with a harness and a lead, it was quite a size too.
Yeah, I think the Japs started that craze, weird ******* that they are. Captivity bred iguanas are by and large friendly, mine was a wild egg, hatched then sent to Europe by air in a small box along with about 42 other baby iguanas, only about 12 of whom survived ( which I know from the woman who implanted its endangered species microchip) so no big surprise it is a prize **** !!!

Kirkz

LE
Even your pets collect skulls?
I already had that skull before I got the snake, when I got the tank it was the obvious place to then put it.

Don't need to keep them as they are in the wild here; Rat Snakes, Rattlers, and Cottonmouths, along with a whole selection of lizards from gecko's, to Horned lizards. I've seen plenty of rat snakes, one rattler in the wild, and cottonmouths only in captivity.

If you want a real snake party go to Florida and go out wild camping in the Everglades. You will very quickly find some pythons coming to visit you. I load of them escaped after a hurricane some years ago and they have been breeding like,...............errrrr, snakes, and almost killed off all the indigenous wildlife in the Everglades and are now spreading north to Georgia.