Arrse Recommends - Plumbers, Builders, Electricians

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Travelgall, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick thought. Looking for a plumber in the Kent area and don't have a clue who to trust since my usual one has Deployed to Afghan. Could Arrse not have an Arrse recommends where the great and good of the site advertise their wares. I'd rather pay someone out of the forces than a random Illegal and I reckon that the chances of them ripping me off are reduced. Could we not set up an Arrse directory?
  2. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Great idea, but then I have just at up my own business (Spark) in Southport for the town and surrounding areas....:cool:
  3. I sent the idea to Bad CO. As long as it was for Arrse ex forces members rather than Romanian illegals it could do a bit of good.
  4. There is an ex-service plumber in Chippenham who is my go-to guy - I would definitely recommend him.
  5. Regionalise it by all means, many trades are happy to travel or stay overnight over quite large areas. We did this on a bulletin board at work, but there is a problem. You need one entry per business so that feedback can be left, and businesses need right to reply. Not all businesses are good, not all customers are either, and the next customer needs the balance that comes from several comments. Loads of ads saying 'Great plasterer' doesn't build a business, but the recommends certainly do.

Signed, MadKev's Recession-Proof Catapult and Double Glazing Co. Ltd., windows broken or fixed across the South.
  6. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Interesting idea. Of course we already have a local section which doesn't get that heavily used. Why not start a thread in each area called things like:

• ARRSE Recommends: London Plumbers
    • ARRSE Recommends: South West Brickies
    • etc
    Once they get going then I'll promote them to stickies and people can continue to add details on.

As you can see I've done an example using our accountant.
  7. Ou est TiD?
  8. I'd want a way of encouraging Navy and Air Force as well so the love could be spread around.
  9. Right I've put them up on the Local Page. Obviously with a couple of variation such as in Northern Ireland making sure they write down whether it's a Protestant or Catholic plumber. Can the MOD's make them sticky?
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You might want a disclaimer if this takes off. Got a cautionary email from my professional indemnity insurance people the other week.

An accountant is with her client. Client wants some building work done. Accountant recommends a builder. The job goes badly shit-shaped. Client sues accountant and wins. PI insurance refuses to pay out. Accountant cops for the bill.

Dunno if this could apply to a forum like ARRSE and maybe I'm being paranoid - but we live in a horribly litigious society...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Can i also suggest that referalls to plumbers , sparkies etc are only accepted by people who have been on the site for a while to avoid unscruoulous chappies joining the site and posting fake comments about services rendered
  12. We're pretty good on Arrse at spotting Spam and Fakes. And the Like button would be a way of recommending the people in question.
  13. Yep we do live in a litigious world, alongside a few cowboys and crooks. Would be nice to know about local tradesmen with good references on Arrse. There's also Trustmark, not always local but a Government-backed quality mark that signposts people to reputable local traders. TrustMark approved tradesmen : key benefits
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Who the **** do you think I am?