ARRSE Poll 2009 - Rank (if serving or retired)

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 15, 2009.

?
  1. Private / O Cdt

14.5%
  2. JNCO

22.9%
  3. SNCO

31.6%
  4. Jnr Offr (to Capt)

12.6%
  5. Snr Offr (to Col)

11.0%
  6. Field Offr

7.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

About time to update the 'who are you' stats. I have to be honest and admit that this is mainly to help me give info to potential advertisers, but is also interesting for all I think. Regardless, I would appreciate your input. There is no way at all I can see who selected what, whether by username, IP or my supernatural powers.

2. Wheres the Warrants!!

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

And an explanation of the difference between field and officer splits you have put in.

Field to me means Maj and above (+ the Adjt) before General rank, starting at Brig.

Are you equating Field to mean Maj and Lt Col or are you meaning General Rank?

4. yep, I cant vote either! :(

5. Same problem I had with house insurance..

Call Centre Operator: Occupation?

FF: Soldier.

CCO: Commissioned or Non Commissioned Officer?

FF: Neither, Warrant Officer.

CCO: Err..... We don't have that.

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I wasn't sure about whether a WO was a SNCO or not, so I looked it up. From the MoD:

Senior Non-commissioned Officer Senior members of the Ratings/Other Ranks, including Warrant Officer (all classes), Charge Chief Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer, Colour sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Flight Sergeant/Chief Technician, Petty Officer, Sergeant.

http://www.dasa.mod.uk/natstats/ukds/2004/glossary.html

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

So stop being so farkin' pedantic!

8. [pedant mode on]No such thing as a Charge Chief Petty Officer since 01 Apr 04 :wink: [/pedant mode off]

9. You believe the MoD????

10. Come on CO.

Field Officer = Major and Lt Colonel (+Adjt)

Staff Officer = Colonel and up

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

In which Army is this?

12. Ummm... the answer is actually tricky...

Staff Officers form A, G, & Q and can be almost any rank, at any level within the hierarchy (technically).

However, the expression "Staff Officers" colloquially refers to Officers employed within a "Command Staff" and is generally applied as follows...

A military staff is a group of officers and enlisted personnel that provides a bi-directional flow of information between a commanding officer and subordinate military units.

Officers oversee staff sections, Senior Enlisted Personnel task personnel in the maintenance of tactical equipment and vehicles. Senior Analysts are tasked with the finalizing of reports, and enlisted personnel participate in the acquisition of information from subordinate staffs and units.

The purpose of a military staff is mainly that of providing accurate, timely information which by category represents information on which command decisions are based. The key application is that of decisions that effectively manage unit resources. While information flow toward the commander is a priority, information that is useful or contingent in nature is communicated to lower staffs and units.

This definition above, of course, means that CQMS / SQMS / BQMS etc along with others are technically Staff Officers, but;

Within the UK Army, the following definitions apply...

GSO1. General Staff Officer (1st Class). The chief of staff, graded a lieutenant colonel or colonel. He was in charge of the General Staff Branch, responsible for training, intelligence, planning operations and directing the battle as it progressed. Most orders from the GOC General Officer Commanding were actually written up and signed by the GSO1.[1]

GSO2. General Staff Officer (2nd Class). The deputy chief of staff, graded a major. He assisted the GSO1.

GSO3. General Staff Officer (3rd Class). Graded a captain. Usually responsible for intelligence.

Consequently, there is not (AFAIAA) a true definition which could be applied other than generically and incorrectly...

1) Officers (2Lt / Lt / Capt = Troop / Platoon / Battery Officers) The implementors of Tactics.
    2) Field Officers (Maj / LtCol = Field Commanders) The Directors and Implementors of Tactics to satisfy the Strategy from above.
    3) Staff Officers (Capt / Maj / LtCol / Col = General('s) Staff) Which actually means "The General's Staff" - i.e. his personal and key Advisors and Implementors of Strategy.
    4) Generals (inc. FM although this now almost an Honoury Rank on retirement) which the Navy also would refer to as Flag Officers.

All three services Officers of this group get to fly pennants on their personal chariot ;-)

...but off course there are exceptions!

13. There's something strange going on here. When I ticked "Field Offr" a box came up that said: "You lying bästard, Bugsy!". :D :D :D

MsG

14. "in_the_cheapseats", your understanding is the same as mine.

However, I was happy to comply with the “Good_CO’s” classification.

I ticked the “Snr Offr (to Col)”, which is how I will henceforth describe myself . . . quoting the “Good CO” as authority !!

15. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Thats why we get our Warrants