ARRSE Performance Increase and Related Issues

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Apr 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We moved house again this morning from Ireland to Germany. The move is to take advantage of ever increasing hardware performance and has meant that we can cut back the complexity, cost and associated performance hit of our Amazon server infrastructure. We are now on a lean, latest generation setup. Fewer machines, less cabling and better performance.

There is a downside of course - firstly some problems reaching the site this morning, particularly for people overseas who need to wait for the information about the change of address to propagate through the web's DNS (Domain Name System). For me this has caused problems with my Android app which stubbornly refuses to change.

So far performance has significantly improved, most notably in the speed of searching, which includes the Last 50 page. We won't get a true picture of the benefit until the dust has settled. Tonight at peak time will be the acid test, and I'm sure we will need to adjust to make the best of our new home.
  2. No issues in SA, speed is good and searching better than ever.
  3. Took a bit of refreshing this morning to get in. I'm aware some people still haven't managed to log on in the UK.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

• Like Like x 2
  5. All that LOA, be daft not to ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

7. Is it worth publishing the IP address of arrse on Twitter or on the update notice, to allow the foreign sorts to continue to use arrse whilst the DNS updates?
  8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Works fine in Canada - mind you I use Googles DNS servers.
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You could try Google searching for "flush my DNS" and specify your operating system.

I tried this this morning but sadly being on Linux didn't help when most help pages assume Windows. Also failed to find the right command for my implementation (probably not helped anyway that all our traffic goes out through a gateway in Germany). mainframes are SO much easier.

So I had to suck it up and do some work.
  10. Works fine in Portugal

11. Try "ipconfig /flushdns" from the command line on windows, see if that sorts it. OSX use "dscachhutil - flushcache", for Linux use "service nscd restart"(Debian at least - you RedHat tossers probably have some other shite)
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I have been able to get on only sporadically all day so far - tablet won't get in using browser but will using the Arrse app. Desktop sometimes works and other times gets the VB message.

If the suggestions posted by the others above don't work I'd simply persevere with it. It works eventually!
  13. I just refreshed mine and it worked fine, no problems since this morning.
  14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Lol that's what I said.
  15. Wrong . On Linux or MacOS you can force this by editing /etc/hosts and adding the following:

Much easier than windows, which has a similar file but it's a bastard to find.

Sorry about the delay in this. Some of the fault is mine for not preparing the domain for the change.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)