ARRSE page on Wikipedia

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Proximo, Apr 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A new page has been created on Wikipedia.org to build on some of our links across that site.

If anyone has a few spare minutes, could they look in and add detail, explanation and anything else they think is relevant. You will need to register, but it is very quick. As with ARRSEPedia, please use a derivative of your onsite name.

Please keep it free of anything pertaining to our site pests (you know who I mean) as the Wikipedia community simply won't understand.

Many thanks! :D

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

How do.

I'm not sure about this although I guess the worst they can do is delete it. I've cut quite a lot of what I consider as irrelevant (posting rules etc) and started a more encyclopedia like article, although I'm in a real rush so this has been quick and far from perfect.

If the page is to be succesful I think it needs more general interest content - perhaps classic posts, press quotings or similar.

I wonder how long it will take before one of the lunies - or rather THE luny - to get stuck in. We certainly need the admin of wikipedia onside if that does happen!

Finally of course, the page success will rely on links to it elsewhere in the wikipedia. I guess the first step is to make the page in to a good interesting article, then work on this.

Good idea, although I'm still slightly dubious. Let's see how it goes.

3. With my (limited) experiance of creating a page from scratch; I've found that people tend to go off on their interpretation of what they think is required. What seems to work, is if someone in the know makes the titles, the rest of us can fill them in.

This way, we don't get a strop on when our masterpiece is deleted as drivel and more people contribute to a sucessfull piece.

4. Agreed - but possibly a perfect opportunity for a certain someone to prove that they are more mature than others...we'll see, I guess! :)

The alternative is to protect the page.

5. How did it end up with a 'the neutrality of this article is disputed' tag already?

Tricam.

6. I put it in, to allow any fevered discussion to take place in the usual spot reserved for such discussions.

It may be that someone feels quite strongly about whatever's written and raises the issue. I'd certainly rather any discussion took place in there than on the actual page itself.

7. Ah ok - I didn't realise normal users could do that... I just presumed Wikipedia mods had done it...

Tricam

8. May I record a huge 'thank you' to Sapient for his continued support! :D

9. I've been lurking on here for so long - it's the least I could do. :) :oops:

dogberry (aka Sapient)