ARRSE Members Gone But Not Forgotten

I have given this thread a bit of thought in the past couple of days. First off, well done Solo Dave, I think that a thread like this is overdue and much needed. Sometimes the best ideas are also the simplest.
Whereas some deceased Arrsers left us far too soon, Spike and RTFQ being prominent examples and their passing is mourned we have at the other end of the spectrum people like Swordman. Now nobody lives forever, so sooner or later it's Endex. I reckon that Swordman must have reached about the same age as my father, mid 90s, so that's a damned good run for his money. In such circumstances I find it not so sad that Swordman has gone, I'm glad that he was an Arrser and a very informative one at that. So I think it was the Vikings who did not mourn someones passing, they celebrated and got well shedded, preferring to think about the good times. Probably woke up the next morning wishing they hadn't.
On a final note, having heard of Emsavs untimely death I looked up some of her posts. I just loved the one in which she referred to the then President as "a bell end". Preserving the likes of that in a thread like this is a must. We owe it to them.

Joecivvie,
I thought his posts were knowledgeable and informative- he also could be very funny. I met him twice in hong Kong, with members of his family, I remember him unravelling himself from quite a small car, he was one of the biggest humans:mrgreen:
Great to have a beer with while watching our kids play at the zoo....
Proper gent
I have given this thread a bit of thought in the past couple of days. First off, well done Solo Dave, I think that a thread like this is overdue and much needed. Sometimes the best ideas are also the simplest.
Whereas some deceased Arrsers left us far too soon, Spike and RTFQ being prominent examples and their passing is mourned we have at the other end of the spectrum people like Swordman. Now nobody lives forever, so sooner or later it's Endex. I reckon that Swordman must have reached about the same age as my father, mid 90s, so that's a damned good run for his money. In such circumstances I find it not so sad that Swordman has gone, I'm glad that he was an Arrser and a very informative one at that. So I think it was the Vikings who did not mourn someones passing, they celebrated and got well shedded, preferring to think about the good times. Probably woke up the next morning wishing they hadn't.
On a final note, having heard of Emsavs untimely death I looked up some of her posts. I just loved the one in which she referred to the then President as "a bell end". Preserving the likes of that in a thread like this is a must. We owe it to them.

Also "King of the Burpas". Others knew him personally, but from what I remember he was a reporter and columnist for Private Eye. Not sure of the circumstances of his passing, only that he went too soon. :-(
OK, so put some links up or some references then!!!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
OK, so put some links up or some references then!!!
Blimey, there's no need to be so bossy.

It was referenced quite recently, but I can't remember who provided the information.

Anyone else help please?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Before this thread gets too far developed, may I suggest that demised Arrsers be consigned to individual threads in a Faded Arrsers' forum? Putting them all in a single thread is going to cause confusion and cross-posting that'll lead to hard work should a mod ever decide to tidy up the thread.

I dont know whether its feasible but it would be good if such a forum could be "watched" so that new threads (not just new posts) could be notified.

ches

LE
As an aside, most of the RTFQ thread links are 404s cos IIRC they never came across when we got our new forum malarkey thing the gaffers sorted for us peons a while ago.

As an aside, most of the RTFQ thread links are 404s cos IIRC they never came across when we got our new forum malarkey thing the gaffers sorted for us peons a while ago.
The ones I have put into his post on this thread all work, I think.

I think a better idea would be to designate a corner of arrsepedia to them.
Don’t really know whether that’s feasible or not though as I’m not really sure how it works.

Is it possible to put a RIP banner on their avatars so that any newcomers/unaware reading old threads don't expect any response?

Seen similar on another forum.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Is it possible to put a RIP banner on their avatars so that any newcomers/unaware reading old threads don't expect any response?

Seen similar on another forum.
If it is genuine and clearly so then Bad CO puts up an RIP tag. He has to be informed though and it has to be pukka, none of the fake illness/death that some Arrsers think hilarious.

Latest Threads