ARRSE Members Gone But Not Forgotten

Evening all

Well, it won’t have escaped your notice that we as the ARRSE community have lost a few of our number over the recent years – some old, some not so old.

I think it is appropriate that we have a ‘Gone But Not Forgotten’ thread where we can add the site’s legends as they toddle off to Valhalla. Let’s add in details of their contributions to the humour, good natured banter, handbags-at-dawn, and general b0ll0cks that the site has to offer. There’s no template, no convention or anything else – it’s just an area where we can remember those who have contributed. Doesn't necessarily have to be from hereon in - the site has had a number of absolute legendary characters in times past who have kept us enthralled / caused us to p**s ourselves laughing / made us want to punch a wall. It's a great idea to remember them.

Please bear in mind PERSEC when you post – whilst we might all find it funny that MadBaz2Para was, in real life Quentin Bellevue-Smythe, and once sh@t on a hooker’s head in a knocking shop in Mombasa, his kids or widow might not. As such, only stuff that is already on ARRSE or in open source would be my suggestion – Moderators please advise if you think otherwise. I have placed this thread in the Old & Bold forum, as those old soaks are more used to the thought of the Grim Reaper, and it’ll cause less in the way of coronaries etc than anywhere else on the site, but again Moderators have the ultimate hammer on where it eventually sits.

A couple of starters for 10, the first shamelessly lifted from the ARRSEpedia.

Last edited:
The epic RTFQ.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/RTFQ

Death of our son Brett - THIS BOARD IS NOW FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES ONLY. CLICK ON RGJ ASSOCIATION TO RETURN TO NEW IN MEMORIAM FORUM.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/rip-rtfq.199419/

This bloke had story telling qualities that would’ve made him a millionaire had he gone professional, a sardonic wit & powers of very very humorous observation that on more than one occasion left me mopping up a mouthful of tea off my desk at work.

A taster of some of his Shakespearean works.

The DPM Thong

Irritable Arrse Syndrome Post 8;

Squaddies trying to behave like proper people Post #19

Mea Culpa

Family

The Dance Off

If I see one more Iceland Advert..

Pardon My Erection

Portugese Brown Eye

Silly Season

1564769444092.png

It’s in open forum that RTFQ was Capt Brett Dunning RLC, a para qualified ATO and all round good egg. Brett died of a brain tumour in 2013.

Last edited:
Spike 7451

Spike was a son of the Province and an RAF Armourer with an extensive Tornado and Nimrod background. He was also, somewhat counter-intuitively (because armourers tend to be f***ing pigs of human beings!!!) a cat and dog lover who spent much of his time involved in animal rescue in Northern Ireland. Spike passed away from a particularly aggressive leukaemia in May 2015.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/spike7451-passed-away-09-may-2015-rip.236755/

https://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/member/349-spike7451

Spike, again open source from ARRSE and E-Goat, was ex-Cpl Mervyn Milliken. Described by one ARRSEr, I forget who, as ‘....a very kind person....’. It’s impossible to mention Spike without mentioning his mucker Daisy, who joined him on the other side of the bridge about 6 months after he passed on.

1564769711541.png
1564769742285.png

Last edited:
Swordman

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/members/swordman.19387/

1565027291144.png

1564769793768.png
1565027750734.png

My principal reason for kicking off this thread. Swordman was a Sapper who kept us all entertained and hugely interested with his tales of going up the beaches in 1944 up till he was injured and medevac’ed back to Blighty in 1945. Swordman’s real name was Brian Guy and he lived in the Southwest, Devon or Dorset.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/d-day-normandy-arnhem-sappers-sword-beach-to-bremen.41004/

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/really-sad-news-brian-guy-swordman-rip.294374/

Swordman I think took his name from the beach of D Day fame, a gentleman of the old school whose contributions were hugely appreciated by many on the site. He passed on in Aug 2019.

Last edited:
The epic RTFQ.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/RTFQ

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/rip-rtfq.199419/ This bloke had the story telling qualities that would’ve made him a millionaire had he gone professional, and a sardonic wit & powers of very very humorous observation that on more than one occasion left me mopping up a mouthful of tea off my desk at work.

A taster of some of his Shakespearean works.

The Saga Of Mary / Michelle The Barmaid;

The DPM Thong

Irritable Arrse Syndrome Post 8;

Squaddies trying to behave like proper people Post #19

Mea Culpa

Family

The Dance Off

If I see one more Iceland Advert..

Pardon My Erection

Portugese Brown Eye

Silly Season

View attachment 408293

It’s in open forum that RTFQ was Capt Brett Dunning (RLC or RE????), a para qualified ATO and all round good egg. Brett died of a brain tumour in 2013.
He was without a doubt one of the most pant-wettingly funniest posters on here. I only got introduced to this site because I was on a British Empire discussion forum, and got a hyperlink to "Squaddies Trying to Behave Like Proper People", I spent a whole afternoon and evening with tears coming down my eyes and screaming with laughter.

Danny2C on prunne

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Techno_Spastic. My friend George. Went away to Afghanistan. The body came home to Surrey, the mind stayed elsewhere.

Miss you, lad.

Thai_Exile. Wrote, smiled, then lost touch. Then find out he was two years gone. Ridiculous.

You’re right, Colin, it was a long time ago.

Beers up.

CO's, Mods.
Sticky this thread please. It would be a crime for the works of Swordman,RTFQ & Techno spastic to be lost.

Fluffybunny, because he sounded like a really nice bloke and his passing was the first I encountered on Arrse, thereby granting me an insight into the transitory nature of our existence.

Spike 7451

Spike was a son of the Province and an RAF Armourer with an extensive Tornado and Nimrod background. He was also, somewhat counter-intuitively (because armourers tend to be f***ing pigs of human beings!!!) a cat and dog lover who spent much of his time involved in animal rescue in Northern Ireland. Spike passed away from a particularly aggressive leukaemia in May 2015.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/spike7451-passed-away-09-may-2015-rip.236755/

Spike, again open source from ARRSE and E-Goat, was ex-Cpl Mervyn Milliken. Described by one ARRSEr, I forget who, as ‘....a very kind person....’. It’s impossible to mention Spike without mentioning his mucker Daisy, who joined him on the other side of the bridge about 6 months after he passed on.

View attachment 408296View attachment 408297
Hmm RAF armourers, plumbers, a breed apart. Can't live with them, can't shoot or bomb without them.

Fluffybunny, because he sounded like a really nice bloke and his passing was the first I encountered on Arrse, thereby granting me an insight into the transitory nature of our existence.
As the Romans said " eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die". Most Arrsers manage the first bit with bravour, unfortunatley some have also managed the last bit. Repeat offenders will be up in front of the CO toot sweet.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yeah_innit_blud.

Didn’t know him, but he raised the odd chuckle and was a decent contributor to this community.

I think he died in a bike smash and was only in his 30s.

I have given this thread a bit of thought in the past couple of days. First off, well done Solo Dave, I think that a thread like this is overdue and much needed. Sometimes the best ideas are also the simplest.
Whereas some deceased Arrsers left us far too soon, Spike and RTFQ being prominent examples and their passing is mourned we have at the other end of the spectrum people like Swordman. Now nobody lives forever, so sooner or later it's Endex. I reckon that Swordman must have reached about the same age as my father, mid 90s, so that's a damned good run for his money. In such circumstances I find it not so sad that Swordman has gone, I'm glad that he was an Arrser and a very informative one at that. So I think it was the Vikings who did not mourn someones passing, they celebrated and got well shedded, preferring to think about the good times. Probably woke up the next morning wishing they hadn't.
On a final note, having heard of Emsavs untimely death I looked up some of her posts. I just loved the one in which she referred to the then President as "a bell end". Preserving the likes of that in a thread like this is a must. We owe it to them.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Joecivvie,
I thought his posts were knowledgeable and informative- he also could be very funny. I met him twice in hong Kong, with members of his family, I remember him unravelling himself from quite a small car, he was one of the biggest humans:mrgreen:
Great to have a beer with while watching our kids play at the zoo....
Proper gent

Yes.
Maybe a place that is at the top of the site. Those posts by those people who have moved on , maybe a "Read Only" thread for people like Swordman etc.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Joecivvie,
I thought his posts were knowledgeable and informative- he also could be very funny. I met him twice in hong Kong, with members of his family, I remember him unravelling himself from quite a small car, he was one of the biggest humans:mrgreen:
Great to have a beer with while watching our kids play at the zoo....
Proper gent
Yes.

I've kept in touch with his wife and daughter. I've never felt so shocked and saddened for someone I've never met as I did last April learning of their plight!

He was my first "mukker" in the olden days of Arrse, purely based on his clever but never nasty humour.

RIP David.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Also "King of the Burpas". Others knew him personally, but from what I remember he was a reporter and columnist for Private Eye. Not sure of the circumstances of his passing, only that he went too soon. :-(

Latest Threads