Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

I have just been pondering on a babygate for the stairs although he'll race through once it's opened. I think keeping doors shut so he can't get up a head of steam in the house might help.

This is the sort of happy behaviour that's normal for whippets but is no longer allowed. I don't want to be a total killjoy though...

Mad as a box of frogs,but would you want it any diffrent?
no ofcourse not,just a slight slowing down nothing wrong with that. our Friends might think we are being cruel but we are being kind. I know I want as many seconds as possible with my Boy as possible.
I would carry him if it gave me just an extra hour with him

Yesterday I took the whippet to the vets for a back examination as he's showing some signs of hind limb weakness - nothing too serious yet, just taking more than three leaps to get upstairs and a slight wobble in the back end after a long walk. I could find no pain response at home and neither could the vet until he tried the 'wheelbarrow' test and flexed his back with his hind legs in the air.

His diagnosis is lumbosacral degeneration but it's not bad enough for surgical treatment yet. Peter the vet said it was early stage degeneration, generally caused by wear and tear from ten years of flinging himself about at 30mph, so treatment for now is anti-inflammatories for a month, strict plodding exercise (no leaping upstairs, in and out of the car, on and off the sofa and the bed, tanking about off-lead etc), and I am looking for a reputable dog physio. It's not going to be fixable, more a case of management to keep him mobile for as long as possible. Poor wee skinny boy's belting-around days may well be over.

View attachment 331713

The like is for the photo, very fit looking for a 10 yr old. Hope he calms a little and stays otherwise healthy.

Mad as a box of frogs,but would you want it any diffrent?
no ofcourse not,just a slight slowing down nothing wrong with that. our Friends might think we are being cruel but we are being kind. I know I want as many seconds as possible with my Boy as possible.
I would carry him if it gave me just an extra hour with him
I think I shall have to find a happy medium. No bombing upstairs or flinging about on the furniture, but I'll struggle to keep him from bouncing in the garden, especially first thing in the morning.
The like is for the photo, very fit looking for a 10 yr old. Hope he calms a little and stays otherwise healthy.
Thanks Monty. :smile:

The photo is from a couple of years ago, but it's about the only one I have of him running back to me where he's close but not totally out of focus thanks to the speed! He doesn't look any different though, apart from a little more grey around his nose.

Yesterday I took the whippet to the vets for a back examination as he's showing some signs of hind limb weakness - nothing too serious yet, just taking more than three leaps to get upstairs and a slight wobble in the back end after a long walk. I could find no pain response at home and neither could the vet until he tried the 'wheelbarrow' test and flexed his back with his hind legs in the air.

His diagnosis is lumbosacral degeneration but it's not bad enough for surgical treatment yet. Peter the vet said it was early stage degeneration, generally caused by wear and tear from ten years of flinging himself about at 30mph, so treatment for now is anti-inflammatories for a month, strict plodding exercise (no leaping upstairs, in and out of the car, on and off the sofa and the bed, tanking about off-lead etc), and I am looking for a reputable dog physio. It's not going to be fixable, more a case of management to keep him mobile for as long as possible. Poor wee skinny boy's belting-around days may well be over.

View attachment 331713
Fabulous picture! happy pup leaping about and a perfect shadow

Just for a change we’re in the pub

77744B94-F79A-4069-A397-78B1CFDDFB5E.jpeg
CE013DC0-8453-4B1A-92C3-59F04B1B1C36.jpeg

Cpl Warwick Bartholomew and his Brother (my human son Ryan) on the North Yorkshire Moors this Wednesday. We went to Staithes for 4 days for a bit of RnR, not been a great 2018 for any of us. First the Cpl went down with Hypomortality in January,had a 90 min Emergency Surgery. only just 90% recovered.
Son Ryan had his car written off when a Elderly driver drove into him,the old man had a medical condition and should never have been driving. All on dashcam but having a battle with Insurance company because the other drivers insurance still not admitted liability.
as for me im dealing with it all ( Son has Aspergers Syndrome so I deal with his affairs) so the RnR was needed by the three of us.

Attachments

• 20180422_003037.jpg
    20180422_003037.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 76
I think I shall have to find a happy medium. No bombing upstairs or flinging about on the furniture, but I'll struggle to keep him from bouncing in the garden, especially first thing in the morning.

Thanks Monty. :smile:

The photo is from a couple of years ago, but it's about the only one I have of him running back to me where he's close but not totally out of focus thanks to the speed! He doesn't look any different though, apart from a little more grey around his nose.

What about swimming? Is there a hydrotherapy pool near you or a calm stretch of water where you could put him on a harness and lead for a paddle?

I wish you the best of luck with him mate and hope that you can control his aggression.

With great regret he's gone back to the rescue. First time I've bailed on a foster. He settled in and was low key for a week but his dog aggression turned into an unpredictable approach to humans

By unpredictable I mean I couldn't read him, his gear changes were barely perceptible from flash to bang, calm-serene to full out aggro. He became defensive in the van and had a couple of pops at me for being in the vicinity of him when he went off.

You can't insure a foster dog, the only way to keep him and me out of aggro would in the short term be isolation and slowly introduce him to the world selectively working on each drama as it came along.

I'm not the dog whisperer and I foster for the pleasure/fun it gives me and I wasn't getting much pleasure out of him just stress. So back to the pound. They have the behaviourist on hand and work on dogs for up to 18 months.

Went I dropped him back they said they'd find me a chiahuahau with a big pink bow for my next foster and that, at the minute is what I feel like I deserve :mrgreen:

TheGimp 0 Angry dog 1
Onwards and upwards

With great regret he's gone back to the rescue. First time I've bailed on a foster. He settled in and was low key for a week but his dog aggression turned into an unpredictable approach to humans

By unpredictable I mean I couldn't read him, his gear changes were barely perceptible from flash to bang, calm-serene to full out aggro. He became defensive in the van and had a couple of pops at me for being in the vicinity of him when he went off.

You can't insure a foster dog, the only way to keep him and me out of aggro would in the short term be isolation and slowly introduce him to the world selectively working on each drama as it came along.

I'm not the dog whisperer and I foster for the pleasure/fun it gives me and I wasn't getting much pleasure out of him just stress. So back to the pound. They have the behaviourist on hand and work on dogs for up to 18 months.

Went I dropped him back they said they'd find me a chiahuahau with a big pink bow for my next foster and that, at the minute is what I feel like I deserve :mrgreen:

TheGimp 0 Angry dog 1
Onwards and upwards
If you needed to return him then that's what you must do. Not every Dog is perfect just as not every human is perfect. The next person into the centre could be the right human for that Cainine who knows ?
I would not beat yourself up that it didn't work out I really wouldn't at all. I had to return a foster after 6 weeks due to its aggression to my dog Cpl Warwick Bartholomew. That dog was quickly adopted as a 'Only Dog' living a life of luxury and love just as it should be.
Don't forget to post a photo of you with the chihuahua both wearing Pink bows,them the rules
'Have a virtual beer on me'

TheGimp 0 Angry dog 1
Onwards and upwards
Don’t stop fostering though mate it’s vital.... fair play for having a go with this one....