Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

The now 16 week old GWP-Lab puppy...
IMG_20180415_154743.jpg

@Tartan_Terrier - I know you were interested to see how he'd turn out...

He's effectively a GWP physically - coat, physique etc.. with, mostly, a Lab temperament.

Had the new foster dog since Thursday.

He could be described as a small lab/collie/staff cross. He's not holding a lot of weight as I found out when I had to BJJ him off a terrified large golden retriever at the weekend.

To say he is dog aggressive is an understatement. Just the sight of another dog in the distance has him fur erect, stiff stance etc

Apart from that he is a lovely chap. Chilled in the house, all Labrador doey eyed when the crisps come out. Obsessed with tennis balls(to the point where I'm reducing his exposure so they are seen as a treat.

He won't shit on the lawn, preferring the flower bed next to the dog composting bucket, which is very handy.

He pisses like a racehorse

For his own good I'm muzzle training him, a mayonnaise smeared Baskerville ultra is being shown to him every hour, seems happy to stick his snout in it. Not got it on him yet but not tried I doubt he'll be keen

as alluded to he is a bit low on weight. Can see too many ribs, hopefully that's just kennel streets and he'll fill out.

Last edited:
Had the new foster dog since Thursday.

He could be described as a small lab/collie/staff cross. He's not holding a lot of weight as I found out when I had to BJJ him of a terrified large golden retriever at the weekend.

To say he is dog aggressive is an understatement. Just the sight of another dog in the distance has him fur erect, stiff stance etc

Apart from that he is a lovely chap. Chilled in the house, all Labrador doey eyed when the crisps come out. Obsessed with tennis balls(to the point where I'm reducing his exposure so they are seen as a treat.

He won't shit on the lawn, preferring the flower bed next to the dog composting bucket, which is very handy.

He pisses like a racehorse

For his own good I'm muzzle training him, a mayonnaise smeared Baskerville ultra is being shown to him every hour, seems happy to stick his snout in it. Not got it on him yet but not tried I doubt he'll be keen

as alluded to he is a bit low on weight. Can see too many ribs, hopefully that's just kennel streets and he'll fill out.
I wish you the best of luck with him mate and hope that you can control his aggression.

It is hard to believe how many cowards are unable to bring themselves to bring a dog (or cat) to a shelter but instead just dump the poor creatures. They are afraid to face the people at the shelters.

It is hard to believe how many cowards are unable to bring themselves to bring a dog (or cat) to a shelter but instead just dump the poor creatures. They are afraid to face the people at the shelters.

I've never understood that, shelter people are pretty decent folks and do comprehend why some people have to give up their dogs. Sad really.

Yesterday I took the whippet to the vets for a back examination as he's showing some signs of hind limb weakness - nothing too serious yet, just taking more than three leaps to get upstairs and a slight wobble in the back end after a long walk. I could find no pain response at home and neither could the vet until he tried the 'wheelbarrow' test and flexed his back with his hind legs in the air.

His diagnosis is lumbosacral degeneration but it's not bad enough for surgical treatment yet. Peter the vet said it was early stage degeneration, generally caused by wear and tear from ten years of flinging himself about at 30mph, so treatment for now is anti-inflammatories for a month, strict plodding exercise (no leaping upstairs, in and out of the car, on and off the sofa and the bed, tanking about off-lead etc), and I am looking for a reputable dog physio. It's not going to be fixable, more a case of management to keep him mobile for as long as possible. Poor wee skinny boy's belting-around days may well be over.

B on beach.jpg

Yesterday I took the whippet to the vets for a back examination as he's showing some signs of hind limb weakness - nothing too serious yet, just taking more than three leaps to get upstairs and a slight wobble in the back end after a long walk. I could find no pain response at home and neither could the vet until he tried the 'wheelbarrow' test and flexed his back with his hind legs in the air.

His diagnosis is lumbosacral degeneration but it's not bad enough for surgical treatment yet. Peter the vet said it was early stage degeneration, generally caused by wear and tear from ten years of flinging himself about at 30mph, so treatment for now is anti-inflammatories for a month, strict plodding exercise (no leaping upstairs, in and out of the car, on and off the sofa and the bed, tanking about off-lead etc), and I am looking for a reputable dog physio. It's not going to be fixable, more a case of management to keep him mobile for as long as possible. Poor wee skinny boy's belting-around days may well be over.

View attachment 331713

Its hard work stopping them running and jumping.

Its hard work stopping them running and jumping.
Yep. He is not impressed so far with his new bimbling routine and being lifted off and on the furniture. I suppose a bad back going into old age is a sign of an active life well lived.

I'm starting him on green-lipped mussel capsules and feeding him with a raised-up bowl, but any management tips gratefully received!

Yep. He is not impressed so far with his new bimbling routine and being lifted off and on the furniture. I suppose a bad back going into old age is a sign of an active life well lived.

I'm starting him on green-lipped mussel capsules and feeding him with a raised-up bowl, but any management tips gratefully received!

my boy will be 9 in August,I have been using a Highfeeder for a few years. I'm positive this is helping keep his back flexible. decided to put a babygate on the stairs to stop him leaping up to bed. I also started to help him onto the backseat of the car and out ofcourse.
I have decided to treat him as a 61 year old and not a 9 year old. I'm hoping for many more years with him,so anything I can do I will.
wishing you both many pain free years together

my boy will be 9 in August,I have been using a Highfeeder for a few years. I'm positive this is helping keep his back flexible. decided to put a babygate on the stairs to stop he leaping up to bed. I also started to help him onto the backseat of the car and out ofcourse.
I have decided to treat him as a 61 year old and not a 9 year old. I'm hoping for many more years with him,so anything I can do I will.
wishing you both many pain free years together

I have just been pondering on a babygate for the stairs although he'll race through once it's opened. I think keeping doors shut so he can't get up a head of steam in the house might help.

This is the sort of happy behaviour that's normal for whippets but is no longer allowed. I don't want to be a total killjoy though...