Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Archie's gone for the Big Sleep now

View attachment 574265

Never really recovering from sudden onset mouth irritation with necrotic gums 2mths ago. The necrotic gums disappeared quite quickly with brushing & he did get his teeth sorted at vets (3 teeth out) but then this appeared:

View attachment 574264

Necrotic gums that appeared suddenly, c.4th March:
View attachment 574266

He never recovered his same joy of living (joy de vivre).

Did painkillers, hand feeding finely diced sausages & the like but following a brief recovery yesterday afternoon he went down hill overnight (pain that could not be relieved) & he was euthanised this morning.

Archie had some helpful advice on here over the years so I thought I'd just check him out of arrse so to speak. On the bright side, it does mean more sausages for me.
Sorry mate, gutted for you.

Possibly daft question, but does anyone actually breed mongrels anymore? We’re starting to look at getting another dog (our old guy, mostly spaniel / terrier / collie, passed away 4 years ago), but all we see advertised are £2k+ crossbreeds.

We are looking at rescue dogs, but they all come with strings attached (no small animals, must have a big garden, don’t like cars, must be muzzled, can’t have visiting children, can’t be let off the lead, you must live within x miles of the rescue centre and so on) so a puppy with no existing hangups is probably best.

Just not at £2k a pop.

We don’t want a pedigree or designer dog, we just want a bog-standard mutt. But it looks like they no longer exist.

Do we wait? Or do we have to accept being fleeced?

View attachment 574265

Never really recovering from sudden onset mouth irritation with necrotic gums 2mths ago. The necrotic gums disappeared quite quickly with brushing & he did get his teeth sorted at vets (3 teeth out) but then this appeared:

View attachment 574264

View attachment 574266

Did painkillers, hand feeding finely diced sausages & the like but following a brief recovery yesterday afternoon he went down hill overnight (pain that could not be relieved) & he was euthanised this morning.

Archie had some helpful advice on here over the years so I thought I'd just check him out of arrse so to speak. On the bright side, it does mean more sausages for me.
Bugger. You did the right things for him, cared enough to notice his problems. Handsome chappy, sorry to hear he's gone.

Possibly daft question, but does anyone actually breed mongrels anymore? We’re starting to look at getting another dog (our old guy, mostly spaniel / terrier / collie, passed away 4 years ago), but all we see advertised are £2k+ crossbreeds.

We are looking at rescue dogs, but they all come with strings attached (no small animals, must have a big garden, don’t like cars, must be muzzled, can’t have visiting children, can’t be let off the lead, you must live within x miles of the rescue centre and so on) so a puppy with no existing hangups is probably best.

Just not at £2k a pop.

We don’t want a pedigree or designer dog, we just want a bog-standard mutt. But it looks like they no longer exist.

We've been looking and registered with a couple of dog re homing centres. The papers keep talking of an influx of dogs to shelters but we've not seen it yet. I'm not willing to pay £2k for a Labrador and Lab rescue isn't taking new applications so we're going to wait.

Just not at £2k a pop.

The rescue centres can be a bit over cautious, most also are more than happy to help you rehome a puppy from an unexpected or unwanted litter, rather that specific breed rescues, have you tried Dogs trust, RSPCA, etc.?
I don't think anyone ever intended to breed mongrels, they just 'happen'....

View attachment 574265

View attachment 574264

View attachment 574266

He was loved. For a dog that's everything.

View attachment 574265

View attachment 574264

View attachment 574266

So sorry to hear your news, the flip side of sharing our lives with these wonderful animals

View attachment 574265

View attachment 574264

View attachment 574266

Condolences mate, not a good day

Cheers all.

Dogs do come and go, that's the order of life for most, but had seven of the finest years with Archie and I'm remembering that blessing.

I'm also remembering that 8hrs before the onset of his mouth irritation (4am, 2mths ago) & when I first noticed the necrotic gum, he'd been waiting outside the local shop for me. When I came out he appeared to be chewing / just finished chewing something, licking his lips. He's had similar oral problems before, maybe twice in last few years, again when he appeared to have eaten something while waiting outside the local shop.

He got 3-days at death's door poisoning c.4yrs ago after eating something out of the bushes on a regular walk. That was a spate of at least 3-dog poisonings in a couple of weeks all on the same park - 2x recovered (inc. Archie), 1x died.

Why would someone do that? I have gone out of my way to piss-off some senior sections of society and they have suffered significant consequences as a result, so Archie is quite likely a casualty of that War (and I am at War). He was about 14 and had a few good years left in him yet, without that tumour in his mouth anyway.

At the going down of the sun, I Will Remember him.

Sunset beers are on me tonight gentlemen (proverbially - vet's already fleeced me!)

ETA: 2hrs after I'd brought Archie's body back from the vet I popped to the local shop. On my way back a retiree age local I've rarely spoke to called "How's your dog?" from behind. I turned smiled & said he's fine and he replied: Oh I'm so sorry...

I stopped him with an "you will excuse me" and carried on walking at a pace. Very odd.

Last edited:
Cheers all.

Dogs do come and go, that's the order of life for most, but had seven of the finest years with Archie and I'm remembering that blessing.

I'm also remembering that 8hrs before the onset of his mouth irritation (4am, 2mths ago) & when I first noticed the necrotic gum, he'd been waiting outside the local shop for me. When I came out he appeared to be chewing / just finished chewing something, licking his lips. He's had similar oral problems before, maybe twice in last few years, again when he appeared to have eaten something while waiting outside the local shop.

He got 3-days at death's door poisoning c.4yrs ago after eating something out of the bushes on a regular walk. That was a spate of at least 3-dog poisonings in a couple of weeks all on the same park - 2x recovered (inc. Archie), 1x died.

Why would someone do that? I have gone out of my way to piss-off some senior sections of society and they have suffered significant consequences as a result, so Archie is quite likely a casualty of that War (and I am at War). He was about 14 and had a few good years left in him yet, without that tumour in his mouth anyway.

At the going down of the sun, I Will Remember him.

Sunset beers are on me tonight gentlemen (proverbially - vet's already fleeced me!)

ETA: 2hrs after I'd brought Archie's body back from the vet I popped to the local shop. On my way back a retiree age local I've rarely spoke to called "How's your dog?" from behind. I turned smiled & said he's fine and he replied: Oh I'm so sorry...

I stopped him with an "you will excuse me" and carried on walking at a pace. Very odd.
(DRIFT)

I have a very similar "relationship" with some of the bestards round here, but it has only involved damage to property and vehicles.

From what you've just posted, not strange at all :( .

You should have got your "retaliation" in, first !!

(/DRIFT)

Condolences :( .