ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

The boots option is out at this time as I am (rightly or wrongly) led to believe that they prevent heat loss? I found it hard to believe but that was from a SAR dog team
My old greyhound developed corns on all four paws and ended up wearing these things (note the dog in the pic is not my pooch, although they do look similar :)):

Even in the hottest weather my dog had no problems - the boots did pong a bit in warm weather but they did not seem to cause him any problems once he got used to wearing them. A quick wash in some soapy water and the boots were good to go again.

I suppose the longest he would have been wearing them would have been about 2 hours max. He never wore them in the house and on nice soft ground (grass etc) I'd take them off. They were only really needed for pavements and hard surfaces.

I can recommend this brand - once he was wearing one on each paw I had to buy about two a year as replacements for the ones which wore out (he used to drag the toes sometimes and wore through the rubber on the toe of the boot.

I used to get them from this company in Huddersfield. Nice people to deal with and very fast with the shipping. usually arrived in 1-2 days. They will send you a sizing chart to make sure you get the right size for your dog.

http://www.veterinary-instrumentation.co.uk

The only problem putting them on a greyhound - if the dog is off the lead and spots a rabbit or other small chaseable furry thing. When mine took off from a standing start it was like watching a sabot round fired from a tank - the dog would make a straight line for the target while the boots flew off in all directions :D

Edited to add: the Therapaw boots have a vent and breathable material to allow the paws to sweat.

Cheers for the info will get a hold of some and give them a try, had a chuckle imagining boot alles uber der plats

Cheers for the info will get a hold of some and give them a try, had a chuckle imagining boot alles uber der plats
After one launch/chase I spent 20 minutes stamping around in some long grass looking for the last boot while the pooch pottered around in his own little doggy world... :)

I would think it would depend on the type of bait putdown was it 'shop bought' the type Jo Public can buy, or the proffesional pest control would purchase under some sort of licence as a posion controlled item.
Still mindless no matter the type/dose
Glad to read your girl had no harm or lasting effects
I asked a pest controller when I saw him chucking blocks about with his bare hands if he washed his hands carefully before he ate his sandwiches. He told me that I would be amazed just how much you could eat before you even felt unwell.

After one launch/chase I spent 20 minutes stamping around in some long grass looking for the last boot while the pooch pottered around in his own little doggy world... :)
That brings back memories of my old boy, he would take off shedding boots in all directions, I wouldn't know whether to chase him or the boots!

Do you share it
I asked a pest controller when I saw him chucking blocks about with his bare hands if he washed his hands carefully before he ate his sandwiches. He told me that I would be amazed just how much you could eat before you even felt unwell.
If I'm right the rat bait causes the rat to bleed to death by stopping the blood clotting and thinning it out. I maybe wrong I'm not a pest controller. Obviously our genetic makeup is diffrent from our Canine and all the different animals and what maybe toxic to humans is not to some animals, like chocolate is not toxic to a human but a killer of dogs. Whoever lays out Rat bait in a public area that is frequented by both human and domestic animals in my book is doing it for one reason only that reason is to cause harm, everyone has differant reactions. What is safe for one is a killer to another or will cause either serious damage or pass through with no effect. I would not want my boy exposed to anything that has no place in a public area.
Regarding handling bait and not washing hands before scoffing a buttie, it was not all that long ago that something called 'Blue Asbestos' was classed as safe and kids played in the dust and the workers ate their sandwiches covered in it.

My Dalmatian loves natural Greek yogurt, he just can't get enough of it, I checked with the vet and as long as it's not flavoured and is the natural type then it's good for them, high in calcium and good for the gut. Well he's been having it for over a year now and he's in very good health.
View attachment 339181
You say yogurt is good for him but did he have those big green tumours on his face before you started giving him yogurt

Some mindless idiot. I have walked my boy at this location

Dogs eat suspected rat poison at Broads car park
I have suspected that's whats killing off some of the seagulls round my way. Not many but I have seen a couple more this and they tend to be yearlings. Now there's a daft bint round my way who leaves bread and nuts out for the fauna but since Jake has a screw loose about food I have to watch him as he snaffles. (Hate kids and discarded sweets). Point is I'm not particularly keen of the flying terrahawks, but poisoning is a bit much. There is some bloke who turns up with a Hawk from time to time, but he's more for Pidgeons.

I have suspected that's whats killing off some of the seagulls round my way. Not many but I have seen a couple more this and they tend to be yearlings. Now there's a daft bint round my way who leaves bread and nuts out for the fauna but since Jake has a screw loose about food I have to watch him as he snaffles. (Hate kids and discarded sweets). Point is I'm not particularly keen of the flying terrahawks, but poisoning is a bit much. There is some bloke who turns up with a Hawk from time to time, but he's more for Pidgeons.
Controlling wildlife be it Rats (yuk) or the chip stealers should only be done by those who's job it is to do it and not some crazy bint who feeds them or the ar55e who thinks 'I know I will leave posion bait out' onviously no dog will touch it because we all know they are so smart, they can tell the difference between good scoff and posion NOT

Leave pest controll to the experts ( ok some council employees stretch the word 'expert' but you get my drift) it's not the cost of vet treatment only, it's the pain of seeing or thinking your bestie is in danger.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You say yogurt is good for him but did he have those big green tumours on his face before you started giving him yogurt
Leave him alone he's beautiful.;)
They've cleared up lovely, here he is wanting a cuddle but the wife is too busy doing some sort of pass time with wool.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 339024
Rocky(ffs)arrived from the Dogs Trust this morning for temp fostering until he can be found a new home. 11 years old very overweight and because of the weight to say the least a sedentary walker. Because he is new to me I can't give an opinion on him but if anyone has an interest he is registered with the Dogs Trust(Leeds Branch), I doubt he is on the website yet.
So he's been with me a few days now and I have to say he's a smashing old boy. Laid back and very tolerant of being poked and prodded, bathed, brushed, nails clipped, good with other dogs, good with kids, walks nicely on the lead. Settled him down the first night at about 2300hrs and never heard a thing until I came down about 0700 no mess what so ever and it's been the same every night. I have discovered that although not totally deaf he is very hard of hearing and only reacts to loud high pitched sounds, breath smells a bit but he is due some dental work next week. Other than the fact he snores big time I don't think I can fault him, get the weight off him and he will make someone really nice companion, oh almost forgot he will chase cats and birds also given the chance will mess with hedgehogs.

So he's been with me a few days now and I have to say he's a smashing old boy. Laid back and very tolerant of being poked and prodded, bathed, brushed, nails clipped, good with other dogs, good with kids, walks nicely on the lead. Settled him down the first night at about 2300hrs and never heard a thing until I came down about 0700 no mess what so ever and it's been the same every night. I have discovered that although not totally deaf he is very hard of hearing and only reacts to loud high pitched sounds, breath smells a bit but he is due some dental work next week. Other than the fact he snores big time I don't think I can fault him, get the weight off him and he will make someone really nice companion, oh almost forgot he will chase cats and birds also given the chance will mess with hedgehogs.
Thanks for giving him a new lease of life, even in his autumn years, RR.

Thanks for the update pleased he is settling in, must be strange for a 11 year old in a new home but your doing the best for him. Hope he gets his forever home soon

Do you share it

If I'm right the rat bait causes the rat to bleed to death by stopping the blood clotting and thinning it out.it.

Yep "Warfarin" was used as rat poison before it was used as a human treatment to prevent blood clots, so we obviously have something in common with rats!

I'm not sure if more modern rodent poisons work the same way though?

I had been told rat poison kills rats by creating an intestinal gas - as they cannot fart, their intestions rupture.
But we ALL know dogs can fart . . .
That we do, when the Cpl started to suffer from his Hypo mortality his first symptom was excessive gas. It was so bad you could weaponise it,that was the first clue to his life threatening condition I just put it down to something he had scoffed. Since this HA hypoallergenic diet that has nearly stopped,but when he does let one sneak out it smells of candyfloss
Never knew a Rat couldnt fart .... Every day a school day