ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Operation on Monday, she's now in recuperation and feeling VERY sorry for herself.

View attachment 338982 View attachment 338983

X-rays showing no evidence of spread to liver, spleen, lungs etc so now all we're waiting on is the biopsy result, which, if clear, means we're home & dry.

As well we bloody should be for £806; happily, insurance covers most of that.

Thanks all for your advice; much appreciated.
Trust me £806 is cheap,in January this year my lad had to undergo emergency abdominal surgery for a condition called Hypomortality it lasted 90 mins. Also x ray, scans, blood tests, painrelief, meds and intensive care to the grand total of £3500. Then and still ongoing is the cost of meds diet food etc.
Insurance coughed up £901 in total, then on renewal stuck a further 20% on excess for any condition. He is well and recovering but will stay on special food and meds, but alive so as far as I'm concerned worth every penny.
Fingers crossed for your lad and this is nothing more than a blip for him and you.
Thanks for update

Operation on Monday, she's now in recuperation and feeling VERY sorry for herself.

View attachment 338982 View attachment 338983

X-rays showing no evidence of spread to liver, spleen, lungs etc so now all we're waiting on is the biopsy result, which, if clear, means we're home & dry.

As well we bloody should be for £806; happily, insurance covers most of that.

Thanks all for your advice; much appreciated.
No cone of shame? I dont know pups today have it so easy not in my day;)
Cpl Warwick ( this is my dads account)

No cone of shame? I dont know pups today have it so easy not in my day;)
Cpl Warwick ( this is my dads account)
I chinned off the cone of shame in favour of a £13 inflatable collar, they're supposedly a lot more comfortable for the animal and not as awkward.

I'll be interested to see what my pet insurance firm (Equine & Livestock) do to my policy once they've coughed up for the excision biopsy bill. If there's a leap in payments then they can GTF and I'll go to Pet Plan or Direct Line.

I chinned off the cone of shame in favour of a £13 inflatable collar, they're supposedly a lot more comfortable for the animal and not as awkward.

I'll be interested to see what my pet insurance firm (Equine & Livestock) do to my policy once they've coughed up for the excision biopsy bill. If there's a leap in payments then they can GTF and I'll go to Pet Plan or Direct Line.
My increase is mainly on age (he is 9 this year so classed as senior) but like any insurance they are good and bad you only find out when you claim. Also by your pets med history, when he was 3 he ate something when off lead a few hours later he was being sick shi5s the lot. Like a responsible and loving dad i took him to vets for a check up. All that was done was advice of do not feed for 24 hours but give water. No meds nothing.
Fast forward January 2018 he is dangerously ill needs surgery as i stated. Put claim in paid £99 excess and waited, insurance Animal friends send for full med history from day 1 from 3 vets i have used. 6 weeks later they sent a email but no payment and declined claim
Reason given was he had had digestive issues before ( aged 3 ate something no meds etc) so because of that no claim bye.
So i paid full or was going to pay £3500 my vet then said no way are paying full leave to me.
Next day call from vet, insurance will pay the £901 as my vet argued and won by saying the 2 have no relevance as complete diffrence. So my insurance paid that the should leaving me the balance. Vet then was still angry at them said " We have decided to use your lafs surgery as training" and reduced my bill be a further £1000 leaving me the £2500 to pay. I paid in full but was offered a payment plan, but i rather pay what I owe off in one.
Footnote my policy is a life policy so if he needs further treatment for his Hypomortality or a new condition they pay minus £99 snd 20% of each condition.
I am sure they will find another reason to increase mate. All the best

Photo-0004.jpg

Rocky(ffs)arrived from the Dogs Trust this morning for temp fostering until he can be found a new home. 11 years old very overweight and because of the weight to say the least a sedentary walker. Because he is new to me I can't give an opinion on him but if anyone has an interest he is registered with the Dogs Trust(Leeds Branch), I doubt he is on the website yet.

Today i went to "Fetch" the local pet supply shop to get a cat toy (cousin just adopted a 10 week old kitten) and saw a new sign in their door. I like it.

IMG_1809.JPG

View attachment 339024
Rocky(ffs)arrived from the Dogs Trust this morning for temp fostering until he can be found a new home. 11 years old very overweight and because of the weight to say the least a sedentary walker. Because he is new to me I can't give an opinion on him but if anyone has an interest he is registered with the Dogs Trust(Leeds Branch), I doubt he is on the website yet.
Poor lad looks like he is struggling and I hope he sheds the Kg soon, my lads Hypo mortality was caused by my own stupidity of giving in to the 'puppy eye' look regarding treats and not giving the correct amount or tpe of food for him.
Thankfully I have had my stupidity cured after January's scare he now weighs 24Kg from at one time weighing in at 32Kg.
All that lad needs is a correct diet fed little but often (3 x a day for my lad) short walks again maybe 2 or 3 times a day then he will be happier, healthier. Hope he finds a forever home soon as 11 years of age and in a rescue centre not good, but being in a foster home is a start
good luck 'Rocky'

What sort of moron puts uncovered rat poison down in a public car park?

Loving a chin scratch
IMG_20180618_123958~01.jpg
IMG_20180620_195210~01.jpg

Customised collar

Last edited:
Some mindless idiot. I have walked my boy at this location

Dogs eat suspected rat poison at Broads car park
A few years ago our girl passed a very odd poo, it was blue and sort of ridged, where she had found the block of rat bait is anyone's guess. Rang vet in a panic, who said well it has gone through her so just keep an eye on her.
It seems that modern rodenticides are quite specific and it would take a fair amount to harm a large dog.

What sort of moron puts uncovered rat poison down in a public car park?

Could be someone paid to poison the dogs. Several years ago in Boston Massachusetts the maintenance man for the Masons and Bricklayers Union was arrested for poisoning dogs on the grounds of the union hall. The union hall is a large (brick obviously) building with lawns surrounding it. The maintenance man put pieces of hot dog soaked in ethylene glycol antifreeze on the lawn. It was unclear if the union had ordered this. The maintenance man refused to provide testimony about any directions from union leadership.

Could be someone paid to poison the dogs. Several years ago in Boston Massachusetts the maintenance man for the Masons and Bricklayers Union was arrested for poisoning dogs on the grounds of the union hall. The union hall is a large (brick obviously) building with lawns surrounding it. The maintenance man put pieces of hot dog soaked in ethylene glycol antifreeze on the lawn. It was unclear if the union had ordered this. The maintenance man refused to provide testimony about any directions from union leadership.
His refusal tells it all IMHO
I just cannot understand some people and the logic they arrive at

A few years ago our girl passed a very odd poo, it was blue and sort of ridged, where she had found the block of rat bait is anyone's guess. Rang vet in a panic, who said well it has gone through her so just keep an eye on her.
It seems that modern rodenticides are quite specific and it would take a fair amount to harm a large dog.
I would think it would depend on the type of bait putdown was it 'shop bought' the type Jo Public can buy, or the proffesional pest control would purchase under some sort of licence as a posion controlled item.
Still mindless no matter the type/dose
Glad to read your girl had no harm or lasting effects

Morning all my wee lassie has a recurring gashed pad due to? we manage it and after a few days it hardens over and carry on normal...however! as I am a creature of habit, I insist on running a particular route which is mainly on a gravel/crushed stone/cinder tank track, this is not good for the lassies pad so apart from boots who has a treatment to toughen up paw pads? cheers in advance
Avoidance is not an option as we go to an area in Spain for a time every year that is all cinder tracks and hot sand

The boots option is out at this time as I am (rightly or wrongly) led to believe that they prevent heat loss? I found it hard to believe but that was from a SAR dog team

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
This bugger's in trouble. He nicked me Youghurt Pot. I'd just put it down on the table, went to the kitchen and there View attachment 338299 it was gorne.
My Dalmatian loves natural Greek yogurt, he just can't get enough of it, I checked with the vet and as long as it's not flavoured and is the natural type then it's good for them, high in calcium and good for the gut. Well he's been having it for over a year now and he's in very good health.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
One christmas my greyhound scoffed a christmas candle, which was bright green and with lots of glittery bits in the wax. We were picking up green, sparkly poo for several days afterwards.

Appeared to have no effect on the pooch though... :)