ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Probably not thick, a friend had a blind spaniel that knew its way round the house as it would sleep next to a particular chair. When it woke it would touch the chair with it's head and was then orientated. When we took our greyhound to visit the grey seemed to know and just stood perfectly still so that the spaniel could find her.
Walks were as you describe which is why I was so amazed by this lad.
I wonder if it makes a difference how they lose their sight.
Having been hit by a greyhound at full pelt I feel your pain!
:-D He would take me out at the knees so the first I knew about it was my view of the world changing from the beach and sea to the sky and my wellies.

Mast Cell Tumour

Chaps
My 8yo yellow lab has been diagnosed with a Mast Cell Tumour, and is going in for an op on Monday to get it removed; concurrently she'll have an x-ray to check for spread and a histology test. Initial signs are mildly positive with no inflammation of lymph nodes.

Anyone had any experience of this? My vet has been good but I'd be really grateful for 'mates advice', if that makes sense.

She's insured to the hilt so no worries there, thank the Lord.

Last edited:
Mast Cell Tumour

Chaps
My 8yo yellow lab has been diagnosed with a Mast Cell Tumour, and is going in for an op on Monday to get it removed; concurrently she'll have an x-ray to check for spread and a histology test. Initial signs are mildly positive with no inflammation of lymph nodes.

Anyone had any experience of this? My vet has been good but I'd be really grateful for 'mates advice', if that makes snse.

One of my greys had one on her knee, tumour removed and that was that.
Good luck, I hope it goes the same way.

Whereas, without guidance, my blind lurcher would walk into everything. Furniture always had to be in the same place, rooms left tidy, and he would 'pat' his way around the room to find the door. I was his guide person for parked cars, lamposts, people etc on a walk and he learnt 'step up' and 'step down' for kerbs and stairs.

He did get a good run off-lead on the beach when there was no-one else around but even when I was the only obstacle on a four mile stretch he'd still run into me.

I am now wondering if my lad was just a bit thick in comparison to yours.
Seth has done the beach trick on me several times and he is not blind, not sure if its on purpose because he is a bit thick !.

Mast Cell Tumour

Chaps

Anyone had any experience of this? My vet has been good but I'd be really grateful for 'mates advice', if that makes snse.

Had a little staffie that had one on his thigh that erupted in a large manner and had to be cut out. Quite a large area removed to ensure success, but no problems at all and healed quickly leaving only a small scar.

I'm sure your girl will be fine and wish her all the best.

Mast Cell Tumour

Chaps

Not quite the same thing but similar - my whippet is currently recovering from another surgery to remove a soft tissue sarcoma, third time in three years.

For us it has been a pretty straightforward surgery. The vet will remove a wide margin of tissue with the lump so the wound may be bigger than you expect. Once home, the hardest bit of recovery is keeping the dog resting for a week or so whilst the stitches are in. I have to carry my skinny boy around, up and down stairs etc and stop him running about because his sarcoma is on the inside of a back leg.

The histology will enable the vet to grade the tumour and decide whether or not you'll need chemo or radiation therapy to clear the site. Chemo sounds drastic but dogs generally tolerate it much better than people. My boy hasn't had anything other than surgery as treatment and I check the site weekly for regrowth - it becomes harder to spot little lumps in amongst scar tissue but by checking regularly you'll get used to the feel of the scar site and pick up any changes quickly.

This time round my boy has had a complication with a fluidy swelling forming under the surgery site. The vet he saw on Monday (10 days after surgery) was unsure whether it was due to a reaction to the stitches or something else going on. Skinny boy did manage to fling himself upstairs and whizz about on the bed while I was in the bath, and the swelling appeared a few hours after that. So absolutely no exercise, more anti-inflammatories and back to the vet for another look-see on Friday.

Hope that helps a bit. There's not much you can do to prepare her, other than follow advice about feeding before and after the GA, and keep her steady and resting afterwards.

Fingers crossed for you both. It'll be worse for you than her!

Seth has done the beach trick on me several times and he is not blind, not sure if its on purpose because he is a bit thick !.
I doubt he's thick so maybe on purpose to try and get you running. :-D

My current pack (who can all see where they are going) have so far managed to avoid me as I am not as much fun as chasing gulls and each other, before giving up and absconding to the dunes to terrorise the bunnies.

Mast Cell Tumour

Chaps

Anyone had any experience of this? My vet has been good but I'd be really grateful for 'mates advice', if that makes sense.

Any update?
Hope all went well

Any update?
Hope all went well
Operation on Monday, she's now in recuperation and feeling VERY sorry for herself.

35659919_2066839306973304_8050481296553541632_n.jpg
35682330_2066839356973299_5086797366590177280_n.jpg

X-rays showing no evidence of spread to liver, spleen, lungs etc so now all we're waiting on is the biopsy result, which, if clear, means we're home & dry.

As well we bloody should be for £806; happily, insurance covers most of that.

Thanks all for your advice; much appreciated.