ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

IMG_20180605_160058~01.jpg
IMG_20180605_160101_1~01~01.jpg
IMG_20180605_160212_1~01.jpg

Having a minute in the shade

Interesting . . . .

Bravecto, Nexgard And Simparica: Are These Oral Flea And Tick Preventives Safe?

"Like every dog owner, you want to avoid fleas on your dog and in your home. And you don’t want your dog picking up ticks and risking tick-borne disease.

Wouldn’t it be convenient to just give your dog a tasty chew every month or three months to protect her from fleas and ticks?

Well, recently, some new flea and tick prevention products for dogs give you the opportunity to do just that.

Great! Problem solved …

… or is it?

Don’t jump on these drugs too fast. They have a dark side".

Bravecto, Nexgard And Simparica: Are These Oral Flea And Tick Preventives Safe? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Steady, watch the speed... get over to the left a bit... there's a cat lives just round the next corner, get ready to accelerate....I have control...STANDBY, STANDBY....

I took a greyhound to the vet for a rescue. They needed to know whether the dog was blind.
I walked him along a lane and he avoided parked cars lampposts and telegraph poles.
I had to lift him into the car and out again.
At the vets he dragged me to a grass area so he could have a leak then after a wander we headed for the door to the surgery.
He led me straight in but seemed a bit unhappy with the noise in the reception.
By this time I thought he was at worst partially sighted.
The vet examined him and the lad is completely blind.
At no time did the dog walk into anything even though he had never been there before.
Amazing creatures!

I took Reuben,Charley and Monty to their first blood donor session on Saturday.
Monty was too fidgetty but the other two successfully gave half a litre each.
IMG_20180609_152250.jpg

I took a greyhound to the vet for a rescue. They needed to know whether the dog was blind.
I walked him along a lane and he avoided parked cars lampposts and telegraph poles.
I had to lift him into the car and out again.
At the vets he dragged me to a grass area so he could have a leak then after a wander we headed for the door to the surgery.
He led me straight in but seemed a bit unhappy with the noise in the reception.
By this time I thought he was at worst partially sighted.
The vet examined him and the lad is completely blind.
At no time did the dog walk into anything even though he had never been there before.
Amazing creatures!
Whereas, without guidance, my blind lurcher would walk into everything. Furniture always had to be in the same place, rooms left tidy, and he would 'pat' his way around the room to find the door. I was his guide person for parked cars, lamposts, people etc on a walk and he learnt 'step up' and 'step down' for kerbs and stairs.

He did get a good run off-lead on the beach when there was no-one else around but even when I was the only obstacle on a four mile stretch he'd still run into me.

I am now wondering if my lad was just a bit thick in comparison to yours.

Whereas, without guidance, my blind lurcher would walk into everything. Furniture always had to be in the same place, rooms left tidy, and he would 'pat' his way around the room to find the door. I was his guide person for parked cars, lamposts, people etc on a walk and he learnt 'step up' and 'step down' for kerbs and stairs.

He did get a good run off-lead on the beach when there was no-one else around but even when I was the only obstacle on a four mile stretch he'd still run into me.

I am now wondering if my lad was just a bit thick in comparison to yours.
Probably not thick, a friend had a blind spaniel that knew its way round the house as it would sleep next to a particular chair. When it woke it would touch the chair with it's head and was then orientated. When we took our greyhound to visit the grey seemed to know and just stood perfectly still so that the spaniel could find her.
Walks were as you describe which is why I was so amazed by this lad.
Having been hit by a greyhound at full pelt I feel your pain!