• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Tried to post this the other day but the piccie was too big.

E51DD201-1C11-4016-86BE-656B2B81D1A2.jpeg

Does as she’s told as well. Unlike the Mrs....

I believe on 9/11 I saw search dogs wearing booties to protect their paws from the debris they were trodding though.
A friend of mine was commander of the first Urban Search and Rescue Task Force to get to the WTC. The team is MATF-1 based in Beverly, MA. His team got to the scene around 5PM on the 11th, driving down from Boston. By 6PM some of the members were in the rubble and had accessed the garage space under the WTC. I believe the team had 4 sniffer dogs with them. It now has 12 dogs and handlers.

The rubble had lots of sharp bits and the dogs were getting cut paws. When word of this got in the news three different companies that make dog booties FedExed shipments of booties to New York. One problem was that dogs rely on the senses in their paws to go over uneven areas. Some of the sniffer dogs got nervous wearing the booties and would go through rubble but were too nervous to sniff properly. Those dogs then worked without booties despite cuts.

MATF-1 had a doctor and a couple of nurses and a number of EMT/Paramedics in the team. The vet who cares for NYPD dogs went down to the scene and trained the doctor and nurses how to suture paws and how to use cyanoacrylate "Crazy Glue" to close paw wounds.

Some of their pictures of various deployments are here:
MATF-1 webpage
any questions about the teams training check the membership section of that page

A friend of mine was commander of the first Urban Search and Rescue Task Force to get to the WTC. The team is MATF-1 based in Beverly, MA. His team got to the scene around 5PM on the 11th, driving down from Boston. By 6PM some of the members were in the rubble and had accessed the garage space under the WTC. I believe the team had 4 sniffer dogs with them. It now has 12 dogs and handlers.

The rubble had lots of sharp bits and the dogs were getting cut paws. When word of this got in the news three different companies that make dog booties FedExed shipments of booties to New York. One problem was that dogs rely on the senses in their paws to go over uneven areas. Some of the sniffer dogs got nervous wearing the booties and would go through rubble but were too nervous to sniff properly. Those dogs then worked without booties despite cuts.

MATF-1 had a doctor and a couple of nurses and a number of EMT/Paramedics in the team. The vet who cares for NYPD dogs went down to the scene and trained the doctor and nurses how to suture paws and how to use cyanoacrylate "Crazy Glue" to close paw wounds.

Some of their pictures of various deployments are here:
MATF-1 webpage
any questions about the teams training check the membership section of that page
Tried my boy with the boots he hated them. He couldnt walk in them and he became distressed. So I binned them and just do as i always do inspect his paws,clean with a diluted clinical wash and disinfectant I got from the Vets (the Pink stuff) also put Paw wax on once a week.
Can understand for SAR dog wearing them after training in them,but for our friends/family not needed tbh

How did the great outdoor adventure go?
Coming on nicely by the looks of things,plus happy to see a harness rather than just a collar for 'Walkie time'
He's thriving now thanks.
We have a golf course opposite our house so the evening walk is one big massive adventure.

We also have a fair collection of second hand golf balls now.

Agree with you about harness, esspecially when they're young and pull a lot.

He's thriving now thanks.
We have a golf course opposite our house so the evening walk is one big massive adventure.

Agree with you about harness, esspecially when they're young and pull a lot.
Cheers for the update. He can always contribute by having a golf ball sale,should do well I mean who could resist buying from him. Just put them in a bucket with a sign saying all proceeds to *whatever you decide

Keep updating his progress thanks

There is something about dogs and golf balls. My home is around the corner from a golf course. Back when I was a boy one of my friends had a beautiful Irish Setter named Brutus. Brutus, like all setters, loved to run and my friends house backed up to the third green. Brutus would run and pick up balls and race away and drop them. Sometimes in the rough, sometimes in a pond or bunker and on a few occasions he would drop them on the green a few feet from the cup. Like most clubs, the scorecards had a few local rules on the back of the card and our club had a special rule relative to balls moved by animals. Everyone referred to it as "the Brutus Rule"