ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Welcome to the Lurcher Life :applaud:

Colliexwhippet is a grand mix and he'll watch you closely and learn fast... won't be long before he can raid the fridge all by himself and if you're lucky he'll shut the door behind him.

We've shown him how to use the dog flap once, he's now using it on his own.

He'll be posting his own updates in here by the end of the week.

Welcome to the Lurcher Life :applaud:

Colliexwhippet is a grand mix and he'll watch you closely and learn fast... won't be long before he can raid the fridge all by himself and if you're lucky he'll shut the door behind him.
Aye, and wait until they can bypass ID checks..fridge restocked. Surprising amount of tennis balls, frisbees & pig's ears inbound

Aye, and wait until they can bypass ID checks..fridge restocked. Surprising amount of tennis balls, frisbees & pig's ears inbound
I knew of a lurcher (collie/whippet x whippet/bedlington) who, unless the oven was pre-heated to inferno temperatures, would liberate the roast and stash it in the herbaceous border.

Personally, I had to fit child locks on the lower kitchen cupboards and fridge for my old girl (whippet x collie/greyhound). The last straw was an unfortunate bad bottom incident for her partner in crime (mostly greyhound with a little bit of collie) due to her opening a cupboard allowing him to feast on 2kg of cheesy crunchies - his explosive diarrhoea all over the bedroom soft furnishings at 3.30am was horrific. It was twenty years ago now but if I close my eyes I'm right back there in the midst of it all...

She also trained me not to keep a bin in the kitchen; all food and containers not locked away to be pushed to the back of the work surfaces at all times; and a tall free-standing fridge is a godsend for leaving anything just baked to cool on top of it. She was such a smart dog, I've had boys since and none of them so far have been as canny.

Boxer96

Old-Salt
Raised bed to relax on for the warmer days - check
Sofa cover so that I can sit next to SWMBO - check
Nah, I'll kip here thanks
20220525_092427.jpg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Please, please teach him to recall to 'pieces of eight'.

'Arrr, Jack lad, pieces of eight... pieces of eight!... I said pieces of feckin EIGHT!'

I'm thinking that his command to bark will be "Barbosa"

I knew of a lurcher (collie/whippet x whippet/bedlington) who, unless the oven was pre-heated to inferno temperatures, would liberate the roast and stash it in the herbaceous border.

Personally, I had to fit child locks on the lower kitchen cupboards and fridge for my old girl (whippet x collie/greyhound). The last straw was an unfortunate bad bottom incident for her partner in crime (mostly greyhound with a little bit of collie) due to her opening a cupboard allowing him to feast on 2kg of cheesy crunchies - his explosive diarrhoea all over the bedroom soft furnishings at 3.30am was horrific. It was twenty years ago now but if I close my eyes I'm right back there in the midst of it all...

She also trained me not to keep a bin in the kitchen; all food and containers not locked away to be pushed to the back of the work surfaces at all times; and a tall free-standing fridge is a godsend for leaving anything just baked to cool on top of it. She was such a smart dog, I've had boys since and none of them so far have been as canny.
Ours have all been pure greyhound, apart from a Galgo.
The girls have always been brighter than the boys. One of the girls would go and stare down the garden through the fully glazed back door. The lad would wonder what she was looking at and join her. At which point she would turn and get on his bed....
He never learnt.
DSC_5692.JPG

Found this moving story about a Dickin Medal winner at the Tank Museum Bovington Today.
dickin medal winner statue b.png

dickin medal winner statue c.png

dickin medal winner statue d.png

It Made Mrs Sprocket reach for her Hankerchief, and I found the tank museum to be faintly dusty around this exhibit.
dickin medal winner statue a.png

for anyone who's not had a chance to Visit this excellent Dorset museum, well worth your time.
dickin medal winner statue e.png

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Damn. Just spoke to the folks. Their dog has a diagnosis of an aggressive cancer. She's still eating, drinking OK, but that can change quickly as we know.
At least they're prepared for it.
Strangely, my first thought was 'She's already at the vets, she hates the vets, might as well do it now instead of going back,' but then I remembered she's not suffering yet, she might want to choose her own time (all of their other dogs have made 'one last patrol & fuss').

It was horrible speaking to them; my Dad could only croak and had to hand the phone over & he always called her 'your mother's dog' or 'that bloody dog!'. Yet he would spend 15 minutes, an hour, couple of hours taking the dog for a 'sniffing walk' every Sunday, as long as she wanted.
He's a hardnut too, always gets asked to do eulogies.

I won't post when she goes, so I'll say it now and think of the good times and the mad collie eyes moments.
Goodbye Tess; you weren't perfect by any means, in fact you were quite broken, but you Were A Good Girl. xxx.

bugger, the late sun is low-down and in my eyes, they seem to be watering. Hug your dogs for me.

Damn. Just spoke to the folks. Their dog has a diagnosis of an aggressive cancer. She's still eating, drinking OK, but that can change quickly as we know.
Strangely, my first thought was 'She's already at the vets, she hates the vets, might as well do it now instead of going back,' but then I remembered she's not suffering yet, she might want to choose her own time (all of their other dogs have made 'one last patrol & fuss').

It was horrible speaking to them; my Dad could only croak and had to hand the phone over & he always called her 'your mother's dog' or 'that bloody dog!'. Yet he would spend 15 minutes, an hour, couple of hours taking the dog for a 'sniffing walk' every Sunday, as long as she wanted.

I won't post when she goes, so I'll say it now and think of the good times and the mad collie eyes moments.
Goodbye Tess; you weren't perfect by any means, in fact you were quite broken, but you Were A Good Girl. xxx.

bugger, the late sun is low-down and in my eyes, they seem to be watering. Hug your dogs for me.
So sad condolences to you and your folks

Sending best wishes to Tess, you and your parents.

As I said up thread, dogs with cancer don't know they are sick and vets are good at issuing palliative drugs so I hope your dad and Tess can enjoy a few more sunny sniffing walks together.

It's a rough deal all the same.

Sending best wishes to Tess, you and your parents.

As I said up thread, dogs with cancer don't know they are sick and vets are good at issuing palliative drugs so I hope your dad and Tess can enjoy a few more sunny sniffing walks together.

It's a rough deal all the same.
Thank you. I stayed off this thread for a bit because there were too many dying. But it's part of the deal we sign up for.
Like you said, she will still enjoy it, until she can't.

Thank you. I stayed off this thread for a bit because there were too many dying. But it's part of the deal we sign up for.
Like you said, she will still enjoy it, until she can't.
Yes, it is part of the deal but that doesn't make it any easier no matter how often we have to go through it.

I'm sure many people reading this thread (posters and lurkers alike) will have been in your shoes, and be empathising with you and sending condolences just now.

Morning All,
Screenshot from today's 'Yahoo' newsfeed, if anybody wants to add to the other 20,000+ signatures.
Screenshot_20220526-160134_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Also posted this on 'Katie Price...' thread.

Poppy

LE

alicantesteve

Old-Salt
GRRRRR Alf met some new pals today.
He was fine with the Alpacas but took exception to the bullocks trying to lick his head with those rather long tongues.
A rather plump black pheasant just wandered across the road earlier in front of him,he just stared until it disappeared. His two predecessors would have had it in an instance.
A8C5A86B-4572-4442-8AFC-F6582AC3969E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8B1EEC86-6D8A-49FB-BC55-39B0C5010054.jpeg
    8B1EEC86-6D8A-49FB-BC55-39B0C5010054.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 80AC4DFF-5EA4-4FCF-9E08-4A1295E4B087.jpeg
    80AC4DFF-5EA4-4FCF-9E08-4A1295E4B087.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Latest Threads