ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

6 Gallon Pot

Old-Salt
As a little light relief. My pointer photo-bombing my stormy sea photo.
VideoCapture_20220218-133111.jpg

I'm guessing you have referral oncology vets in France too, and that might be a question for your visit on Monday if she is okay tomorrow. I'd also be asking if the vets checked for metastasis on her lungs and liver when they scanned her, as that would be a big factor in my decision process.

Update
Chemo would need a biopsy - but Indications are its probably a type chemo wouldnt work - thats before we take into consideration current condition -and time required.

Operation - the area its spread to cannot be removed - so a successful op would only be a delay not a cure. A succesfull op isnt guarenteed owing to risk of internal bleeds - including post op suddenly opens

In short Palliative car Cortazone - tramadol and something to help her absorb food for as long as it works

Food to be pureed - Mrs is spending a fortune on special easily digestible food - which (cynically ) I suspect is regular food with a 25% surcharge because someones ran it through the blender

Update
Chemo would need a biopsy - but Indications are its probably a type chemo wouldnt work - thats before we take into consideration current condition -and time required.

Operation - the area its spread to cannot be removed - so a successful op would only be a delay not a cure. A succesfull op isnt guarenteed owing to risk of internal bleeds - including post op suddenly opens

In short Palliative car Cortazone - tramadol and something to help her absorb food for as long as it works

Food to be pureed - Mrs is spending a fortune on special easily digestible food - which (cynically ) I suspect is regular food with a 25% surcharge because someones ran it through the blende
Not great news mate , thoughts are with you

This cut me up.

It's called "The Long Wait."

View attachment 664948

We go out, leaving them home, and have many things to occupy us. They're but a part of our lives.

We forget that they only have us, no one else, and we're the most important part of their lives. Loyalty like that is without price.

They wait for us for hours and are always happy to see us. We'd knock it on the head after a few minutes and not bother again. They do it every time we leave.

Loyalty like that is without price.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Update

Food to be pureed - Mrs is spending a fortune on special easily digestible food - which (cynically ) I suspect is regular food with a 25% surcharge because someones ran it through the blender
Puppy mousse might be an option.

The Nelson Saga - Continued:

Anywho, further to my last regarding Nelson - Good News.

Son No2 flying off for foreign parts today, his Dear Wife has departed for Glasgow, Mrs Meaty Mk 2 is fulminating and I have just back from a 4 hour armed stroll accompanied by: Bella, Sam and Nelson.

Life is good.

Told Son No2 That it's easier and better to ditch a wife who forces you to choose between her and your dog, a long thoughtful silence from him ensued.

I'd happily post photographs of the hounds as I have been asked to do but regrettably I lack the knowledge to do so, also, for whatever reason I cannot send 'photos from my 'phone to my laptop for whatever reason.

Update

Sorry to hear that news, sending all best wishes

wheel

LE
The Nelson Saga - Continued:

Anywho, further to my last regarding Nelson - Good News.

Son No2 flying off for foreign parts today, his Dear Wife has departed for Glasgow, Mrs Meaty Mk 2 is fulminating and I have just back from a 4 hour armed stroll accompanied by: Bella, Sam and Nelson.

Life is good.

Told Son No2 That it's easier and better to ditch a wife who forces you to choose between her and your dog, a long thoughtful silence from him ensued.

I'd happily post photographs of the hounds as I have been asked to do but regrettably I lack the knowledge to do so, also, for whatever reason I cannot send 'photos from my 'phone to my laptop for whatever reason.
On phone In Arrse. click in the post reply box, click on attach files, menu appears select photo album , tick pictures you require. Select done usually top right corner and it will attach them.

Thats the problem with modern youth - in years gone by we wouldnt have needed that pointing out

In fact we would have been mocked for letting her finish the sentence

Puppy mousse might be an option.
Currently explaining to SWMBO that yes her time is now short and yes we should make the most of it and yes treats arent an issue for her weight etc but no matter how much she likes it - given her stomach issues and the whole dog v dairy thing in general we really do need to say no to her scrounging Ice cream.

wheel

LE
We go out, leaving them home, and have many things to occupy us. They're but a part of our lives.

We forget that they only have us, no one else, and we're the most important part of their lives. Loyalty like that is without price.

They wait for us for hours and are always happy to see us. We'd knock it on the head after a few minutes and not bother again. They do it every time we leave.

I have had my rescue hound for about 12 weeks now. At first any loud voice of sudden movement she would adopt a submissive posture. Now when she wakes up she greets me like I have been gone for a month even though she has been no more than a few feet from me. If I leave a room and shut the door behind me she will stand and wait until I return. She has now got used to my work routine and goes to her crate to patiently wait for my return even if the wife is in the house.
Like you say: Loyalty like that is without price.

Update

Hard as it is, at least you have a plan and some control and I'd have made the same choices.

There is a 40% risk of sterile haemorrhagic cystitis with one of the more effective chemo drugs (cyclophosphamide), which is difficult to remedy in dogs even if the chemo is withdrawn and very miserable for them on top of the cancer, so you're wise to spare her that. Brodie was in the 60% who didn't get it but a friend's dog wasn't so lucky and had to have some pretty invasive bladder treatment on top of everything else.

Food-wise I stopped feeding dog food and gave him a mixture of scrambled eggs, boiled chicken thighs, black pudding, liver, beef mince, mashed potato, fried sausages, grated cheese, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, pasta, boiled carrots, mushy peas... all in varying ratios to make his meals taste different and whizzed up with a hand blender. He had four meals a day (one of which had a squirt of salmon oil), six hours apart, plus treats like some cat-food gourmet pate blobbed on a soaked biscuit. I seemed to be forever cooking a big pan of something brown, but it worked out cheaper (and I hope nicer) than fancy dog food.

Fingers crossed she stays comfortable on her drug regime and you can enjoy some good days with her yet. Hang on to the thought that she doesn't know she's ill and her drugs and lovely dinners will be making her feel pretty good about life right now. You're doing everything right by her.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

my dog cam in the dining room shows different, the idle gets sleep all day, every bit of it.

Currently explaining to SWMBO that yes her time is now short and yes we should make the most of it and yes treats arent an issue for her weight etc but no matter how much she likes it - given her stomach issues and the whole dog v dairy thing in general we really do need to say no to her scrounging Ice cream.
Peanut Butter & Banana Dog Ice Cream Recipe (& More Varieties Your Dog Will Love)

Very easy to make but be sure the peanut butter doesn't have xylitol in it.

Or there's all these for Mrs L to get busy with:

21 Frozen Dog Treats Recipes {Your Ultimate Guide to Popsicles for Dogs!}

Hard as it is, at least you have a plan and some control and I'd have made the same choices.

There is a 40% risk of sterile haemorrhagic cystitis with one of the more effective chemo drugs (cyclophosphamide), which is difficult to remedy in dogs even if the chemo is withdrawn and very miserable for them on top of the cancer, so you're wise to spare her that. Brodie was in the 60% who didn't get it but a friend's dog wasn't so lucky and had to have some pretty invasive bladder treatment on top of everything else.

Food-wise I stopped feeding dog food and gave him a mixture of scrambled eggs, boiled chicken thighs, black pudding, liver, beef mince, mashed potato, fried sausages, grated cheese, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, pasta, boiled carrots, mushy peas... all in varying ratios to make his meals taste different and whizzed up with a hand blender. He had four meals a day (one of which had a squirt of salmon oil), six hours apart, plus treats like some cat-food gourmet pate blobbed on a soaked biscuit. I seemed to be forever cooking a big pan of something brown, but it worked out cheaper (and I hope nicer) than fancy dog food.

Fingers crossed she stays comfortable on her drug regime and you can enjoy some good days with her yet. Hang on to the thought that she doesn't know she's ill and her drugs and lovely dinners will be making her feel pretty good about life right now. You're doing everything right by her.
To be honest the most difficult part right now is the feeding little and often which is complicated by the labrador
Who in tru lab fashion cant get cope with the idea food not destined for his plate.

Not that he knows what food tastes like as hes a true " breathe in swallow look to minesweep other bowls" type of eater